Amateur Hockey Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Amateur Hockey Thread

Post by Godric »

Do you play? Talk about it here.

I bought a pair of RBK skates a couple weeks ago and the bolts that hold the blade keep coming loose everytime I play its aggravating. Does anyone have any advice?
Pops16
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Amateur Hockey Thread

Post by Pops16 »

Its a design issue with those blade holders which, I assume, is the successor to the prolites. Either try new bolts or change the runners to tuuks. I made the switch from RBK/CCM to Bauer and have not regretted it. Bauer makes a more durable product. The RBK/CCM skates always fell apart on me, even at the high end price points.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

Just go ask for new bolts at a local hockey store
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Post by Godric »

Mr. Colby wrote:Just go ask for new bolts at a local hockey store
I've replaced them already and I keep tightening them, anyway I'm looking for an alternative solution. Could I replace the plastic blade holder? Do they sell those?
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Godric »

Does anyone know anything about these???

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/tblade-hock ... older.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Godric wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:Just go ask for new bolts at a local hockey store
I've replaced them already and I keep tightening them, anyway I'm looking for an alternative solution. Could I replace the plastic blade holder? Do they sell those?
They sell replacement holders online (I've never looked in store for them). Typically run from 20-30 bucks for 1 skate, if you get Bauer TUUKs (so double that if you want to replace both).
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by CERV96 »

Try using lock tight on the bolts. Worked for me.
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by yubb »

Mine did the same thing. I pushed the blade up into the chassis so it was seated tight then tightened the bolts. They don't clang much now, way less than before.
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by yubb »

Do everyone else's adult league games end with each team MF'ing each other?
Pops16
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Pops16 »

I can't imagine those t blade holders being too sturdy. I haven't heard anything about then though. Wonder if the local pro shops would have trouble sharpening them.
ShipHockey7
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ShipHockey7 »

yubb wrote:Do everyone else's adult league games end with each team MF'ing each other?

more or less, yes.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Pops16 wrote:I can't imagine those t blade holders being too sturdy. I haven't heard anything about then though. Wonder if the local pro shops would have trouble sharpening them.
I think a guy back home had those and hated them. Remember him buying new blades and he showed up to the next game with people asking "what are those things?" Skated them for I think two games before he ended up going out and buying a new pair of skates.

I have a pair of Thermablades still in the box. Was gonna throw them on an older pair of skates before I got my Eastons. Ended up getting a very good deal on them, but I read they were somewhat heavy so I didn't want to throw them on my new skates and regret it later.
yubb wrote:Do everyone else's adult league games end with each team MF'ing each other?
If you mean by one team MF'ing the other, then yeah.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

Pops16 wrote:I can't imagine those t blade holders being too sturdy. I haven't heard anything about then though. Wonder if the local pro shops would have trouble sharpening them.
You don't sharpen them, the edge is supposed to last ~4-6 weeks then you replace the part with the blade (~20 bucks), but you can't find the right size blades anymore because they haven't made them in over 5 years
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Godric »

Mr. Colby wrote:
You don't sharpen them, the edge is supposed to last ~4-6 weeks then you replace the part with the blade (~20 bucks), but you can't find the right size blades anymore because they haven't made them in over 5 years
what a dumb idea.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

yeah, that's dumb, considering a good skate sharpening will run you only $5-7
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

Godric wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:
what a dumb idea.
which is why they're not made anymore...

always seems like every few years someone comes out with a really stupid idea that some idiot in thinks is cool, 11 people like it and it fizzles out.

Last one i can think of is Rocket Runners on CCM skates - 2 years after making them they were throwing a pair in with the Crazy Light skates just so they could get rid of stock
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

JS© wrote:yeah, that's dumb, considering a good skate sharpening will run you only $5-7
yeah but not everyone has a good skate sharpener close to them. it's easier now but there was a time when there was only one hockey shop in my town (and even that was still about 40 minutes from my house and stupidly not open on sundays) and the guys who sharpened at the rinks were AWFUL! rather than buy the T-Blades which I think are awful (they make a weird sound on the ice) I went out and bought my own sharpener: http://wissota.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cost was under $1,000 and I've probably made my money back between gas savings and charging my friends and teammates $5 per sharpening.

btw, they're not "bolts", they're rivets.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Godric »

shoeshine boy wrote: btw, they're not "bolts", they're rivets.
This is what I thought but when I asked for them at the proshop I was told they are bolts lol
Pops16
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Pops16 »

Godric wrote:
shoeshine boy wrote: btw, they're not "bolts", they're rivets.
This is what I thought but when I asked for them at the proshop I was told they are bolts lol
Ok, so now I'm confused. Rivets hold the blade holder on. Bolts hold the blade in place. So now I'm not sure I am understanding your original question. Did you have problems keeping the holders in place or the blades themselves?
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

nope, absolutely rivets. anyhow, what model of RBK skate do you have? I've heard about problems with the cheaper models. probably just less attention to detail in the overseas factories. if you can replace the blade holders with Tuuks (http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-holders-runners.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) that would be ideal. I'd guesstimate that probably 85% of NHLers have Tuuks on their skates whether they are wearing Bauer skates or not. the one downside to Tuuks is that all of the hardware is inside the plastic so if you need to tighten or replace your skate blade it's a bit of a pain getting inside there.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

I think we do have some confusion. I'm talking about the rivets that hold the holder onto the skate but maybe the OP was talking about the screws that hold the blade to the holder. those could be called bolts in some situations. if it's the blade coming loose from the holder than just get some locktite.
Pops16
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Pops16 »

shoeshine boy wrote:nope, absolutely rivets.
Not sure that answers my question. So the holders are coming off?

EDIT: Ah, ok. I'm with everyone.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

Mr. Colby wrote:

pretty sure that they're still making them but I'd be surprised if they last much longer. a few NHLers still use them. mostly Germans because it's a German company that came up with them. Dennis Seidenberg is the most notable. wonder how many boxes he has stashed?
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Those T-blades make a very distinct sound when you skate on them.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

So, what would be the point of replacing my current holder? I have Easton EQ skates with the generic Easton holder, and while I don't have any problems with them or the holder, I am curious to see if Tuuks would make a difference in anything (plus, I want to get black Tuuks a la Jagr, but can't find them anywhere).