Accelerated Compliance Buyout

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Accelerated Compliance Buyout

Post by nocera »

Just got a notification from ESPN that the league will allow accelerated compliance buyout for the 2013 season. Does this mean Gomez will be bought out now instead of having to sit at home?
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Accelerated Compliance Buyout

Post by Idoit40fans »

probably. And then Redden will get the same and try to find work.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
In order for a player to be bought this week, still must clear waivers first. Assume Redden and Gomez will be put on waivers tomorrow.

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
And to be clear: if you use a compliance buyout this week, you only have one left to use next summer. This isn't an extra one.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

Gaucho wrote:Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
In order for a player to be bought this week, still must clear waivers first. Assume Redden and Gomez will be put on waivers tomorrow.

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
And to be clear: if you use a compliance buyout this week, you only have one left to use next summer. This isn't an extra one.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. The waiver discount is gone as well, correct? So it seems like they'll be bought out and then free to go elsewhere.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Just to clarify, full money, full cap (for this year) -- no benefit to the clubs at all, just a favor to Gomez and Redden...a mutual contract termination but with full pay...
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by JeffDFD »

I think, by buying them out this year...they are off the hook for the salary cap next year. So that is one benefit to the team.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Correct, but that's no different than an ordinary course compliance buyout...which was gonna happen anyway...in other words, there's no added benefit by being able to do this now...
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by JeffDFD »

well, if you think about it. MTL was going to have his cap hit and roster spot taken this year...then next year they would have the buyout cap hit. Punishes them for 2 years for the contract they signed and are going to have to buyout. Or will they still have a partial cap hit next year because of the length of the original deal? Not sure how that all shook out as far as extensive contracts and buyouts in regard to the cap hit.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I was under the impression that the original plan was no cap hit following the compliance buyout (2013-14 and on), but the cap hit was on for this year (minus $900K) because he was still on the team technically...now they've just...fixed the glitch...
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mongoose87 »

It saves you an extra contact, if you need to lock up a prospect.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Possible. Though, I believe these players are technically suspended for breach of contract (I'll have to check on this for sure) and therefore wouldn't count against the 50-limit. Muddy water were stepping into for immaterial haha...
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I thought the teams just told them not to show up, not because of "breach of contract" (unless that's what they're calling "No, we don't want you on our team")
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Right, it's a technicality. Gomez was going to be waived and assigned to Hamilton and told not to report and then suspended for failing to report. That's how I understood the process to be at least...
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

If he was to be paid his full salary that wouldn't rationally qualify as being suspended.
Not that I really care, just nitpicking with the categorization......so questioning whether he really would have been off the 50 man roster.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Possible. I'll see if I can get a for-sure answer as to how these players would have been qualified...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Response from the NHL Head Office suggests that I don't have it technically right. So my apologies, that was my best guess at it. They didn't have an exact answer of what designation those players would have been under, but they don't believe my "suspension theory" was on point. You win some, you lose a lot more...
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

You called the NHL offices?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

mikey287 wrote:Response from the NHL Head Office suggests that I don't have it technically right. So my apologies, that was my best guess at it. They didn't have an exact answer of what designation those players would have been under, but they don't believe my "suspension theory" was on point. You win some, you lose a lot more...
#vindicated :lol:
Spoiler:
Like I said, nit a big deal. It just seemed like an odd way to handle it, if that had been the plan of the NHL.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

nocera wrote:You called the NHL offices?
E-mailed - as it was 6:30 in the morning, a little early to call...I have a contact up there that doesn't seem to mind handling my questions and inquiries...luckily enough for me.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Post by darkstar57 »

Redden was never under suspension, he accepted his demotion to the AHL the past few years. and from all accounts the rangers have actually benefited because he done a great jobof mentoring some of their younger guys down there
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Right, not talking about the past (just talking about the last three days). But yeah, I think he was their captain.