Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by Shyster »

Eismann wrote:Dress socks that fall down.
Buy some light-compression support socks, like people wear for varicose veins. I’m a fat guy with fat calves, and my over-the-calf dress socks would always fall down, usually because they only have a narrow band of elastic at the top that quickly stretches out. Support socks are elastic from top to bottom and are designed specifically to grip onto the leg and stay in place. You can buy ones that look just like dress socks in colors like black, blue, and brown. Even the light-compression ones grip firmly. I even asked my doctor if it’s okay to wear them when I don’t need them, and he said that not only would do no harm, it might even help my legs feel less tired if I spend a lot of time standing. Also, I’ve been wearing these for years now, and I’ve never had a pair wear out or get any holes. It’s like they’re made of Kevlar. The only problem I have with them is that I’d like some in olive green, but I can’t find any in that particular color.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

When you're on an airplane and everyone races for the aisle when the "fasten seatbelts" sign goes off..
Really? How much time are you saving by knocking that little old lady down?
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

ExPatriatePen wrote:When you're on an airplane and everyone races for the aisle when the "fasten seatbelts" sign goes off..
The only time I do this is when I have a tight connection. Otherwise, I'll stand up to stretch my legs, but I'm not going to race off the plane.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Post by Godric »

ExPatriatePen wrote:When you're on an airplane and everyone races for the aisle when the "fasten seatbelts" sign goes off..
Especially at the end of the flight when people are wrecklessly removing **** from the overheads....

At the pittsburgh airport I don't even mind getting off the flight last, I always check my bag at the gate and tell them I am non-rev and I might not get a seat (They will then put my luggage on last), my bag always comes down in the first minute at the baggage carousel :thumb:
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

JS© wrote:I cooked a lb of shark in cajun rub last night and made sure I took all remnants with me (the bag, the packaging, etc) before I left this morning. Got back from work this evening, and now it's all I can smell.

I don't care if it's 40 degrees out. I have doors wide open trying to get rid of the smell.
a) shark is awesome

b) leaving some plain vinegar out on the counter helps, also try Oust.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

We will begin boarding the aircraft in approximately 20 minutes. Please stand up and commence blocking the lane so that everyone boarding before you has to wade through a sea of people in order to board.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

Excellent point. This is one of those things that does not annoy on a regular basis, but boy oh boy when kenny the kangaroo is on a plane, the lack of patience from grown adults is intolerable.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

i swivel my legs prominently out into the aisle as soon as that light goes off. if you want to jump ahead of all the rows in front of you, you're gonna have to work for it.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

The Smiths
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
Excellent point. This is one of those things that does not annoy on a regular basis, but boy oh boy when kenny the kangaroo is on a plane, the lack of patience from grown adults is intolerable.
Echo this 100%. I love how everyone quickly stands up and just stays in that one spot, often hunched over. Meanwhile, I'm happily still in my seat, playing on my phone or still reading my book.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by LeopardLetang »

it's similar to being 8th in line at a traffic light and then suddenly GREEN LIGHT HERE WE GO! and seconds later we're all slamming our brakes
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

PghSkins wrote:The Smiths
there was a book recently published about the smiths. kenny the kangaroo knows nothing about them, but read the book review in the WSJ. it was not very flattering.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

People who don't want to start the season playing the Flyers.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Post by Tim Thomasen »

Tico Rick wrote:People who don't want to start the season playing the Flyers.
Or the Rangers or anyone good for that matter.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

Indeed.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Post by Tim Thomasen »

People who complain about Bettman rigging the draft for the Pens to get Crosby but say nothing about the Oilers getting the #1 pick THREE years in a row.

And of course: People who slow down when they are approaching the Squirrel Hill Tunnel. Going slow in the tunnel isn't going to help anything, so you might as well just drive at regular speed.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

and they conveniently forget that the Pens traded up for the #1 used to draft Fleury, which I'm not sure they even needed to do. Carolina had drafted Ward the year before, and Florida had a young Robert Luongo.

But this a discussion for another thread.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

People you haven't seen in person for over a decade offering life advice based on your facebook posts.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

Said it in the NFL thread but to get back on the irrational track: Jim Harbaugh's pen on the lanyard around his neck.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Mommy blogs...I have several people I know from back home on this kick.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

PghSkins wrote:Said it in the NFL thread but to get back on the irrational track: Jim Harbaugh's pen on the lanyard around his neck.
Yes, this makes me :evil: I can't deal with it.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

When you get a pasta dish with shrimp at a restaurant and the shell is left on the tail.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:When you get a pasta dish with shrimp at a restaurant and the shell is left on the tail.
Splitting hairs buddy?
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

How so? It's a pain to have to pull the shrimp aside in order to cut the tail off. I wind up getting sauce everywhere.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:How so? It's a pain to have to pull the shrimp aside in order to cut the tail off. I wind up getting sauce everywhere.
I don't know...I guess I never really minded. You always feel like by pulling the shell off yourself, you get more shrimp. I am crazy though....so that helps.