GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by the wicked child »

Wheat beer tasting is underway... Weihenstephaner vs. Franziskaner vs. Penn Weizen.

I thought the Weihenstephaner might have an unfair advantage because I only have one wheat beer glass, but this particular bottle seems to be subpar compared to the awesomeness I had on tap @ Sharpedge. That means the others are in the race, and actually leading at the moment. We'll see how this turns out.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

All the base flavors I recall from the Weihenstephaner are there, but they are subdued somehow. Maybe it was too cold from being in the fridge, I dunno... but it was not as good as I remember from the tap.

Given that, I have to choose between the other two. (Sorry, Froggy). I don't have any deep BA-like description here, just going on taste alone... my winner is...
Spoiler:
Franziskaner
That said, all 3 were very very good and this was an enjoyable experience.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I had a bottle of Kraftster's fave Three Philosophers last night.
I enjoyed it, but not really sure that quadruples are my thing.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

:thumb:

I had a bomber of it as well. Introduced some sour virgins to Supplication, tried a couple bourbons, and sipped a Three Phils. I like the alcohol burn that's present in it and its preference for warmer drinking temperatures for sipping kind of nights.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

the wicked child wrote:All the base flavors I recall from the Weihenstephaner are there, but they are subdued somehow. Maybe it was too cold from being in the fridge, I dunno... but it was not as good as I remember from the tap.

Given that, I have to choose between the other two. (Sorry, Froggy). I don't have any deep BA-like description here, just going on taste alone... my winner is...
Spoiler:
Franziskaner
That said, all 3 were very very good and this was an enjoyable experience.
i respect your opinion...
Spoiler:
even if it happens to be wrong
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

The dominoes that began falling at the time of the big bang have been falling as they have been for billions of years for me to end up in New Kensington PA today at House of 1000 Beers during the work day to find one of the most amazing, Kraftster-centric beer sales ever to be found. Ho1kB is trying to turnover a bunch of bottles that they have apparently been stuck with for a while. The result after $29 and a $40 gift certificate is as follows:

The Bruery - 5 Golden Rings - on draft (loved this beer)
The Bruery - Saison Rue - 750 ML ($17.50)
Stillwater Artisinal Ales - Stateside Saison - 750 ML ($14.95)
(here is where the fun starts)
Saint Somewhere - Lectio Divina (saison) - 750 ML ($5.00)
Saint Somewhere - Pays Du Soleil (saison) - 750 ML ($5.00)
Brasserie Lebbe - L'Amalthee (saison) - 750 ML ($5.00)
Brasserie Dupont - Avril (saison) - 750 ML ($5.00)
The Lost Abbey - Red Barn Ale (saison) - 750 ML ($5.00)
Ommegang - Seduction - 750 ML ($5.00)
Avery - Nineteen (tripel) - bomber ($5.00)
Widmer - The Dark Side of Saison - 12 oz. ($1.00)
New Holland - Golden Cap Saison Ale - 12 oz. ($1.00)

I am so happy.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Wow.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Having Unibroue's Terrible tonight. Not my favorite, but much better than its namesake.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Woah. So I went with the Lectio Divina tonight. I nearly lost my eye opening it - seriously. The cork rocketed to the ceiling as soon as I got the cage off, and I think it grazed my eyelash.

Found the cork and find its 2009 vintage - perhaps almost 4 years old. (No wonder it was $5). I don't really catch any skunk on it, amazingly -- pretty dark glass, although this has me worried for the green bottles I bought. It definitely tastes like it has some age on it, notiing like a fresh one I'm sure. Somewhat sour now. Guess I don't really know, maybe this is what skunkiness tastes like on a saison. I don't really mind it though.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Drinking a beer with only one eye is easy.
It's pouring it into the glass, without spilling, that's the hard part.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

So for christmas, my fiance and I got a set of 4 Pens Mellon Arena Pilsner glasses and a six pack of awesome ipa's from my aunt and uncle. It's just a shame there is no hockey on to pair with the new glasses and beer. Sweet Christmas Gift!
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Warfstiener on sale at the grocery store. $5 off a 12 pack. I adopted one.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Drinking a pint of Weihenstephaner Vitus. Holy **** it is good. It tastes kind of like a hybrid between Weihenstephaner and Franzeiskaner to me... sooooo good. If you like weizens, you need to try this. Now.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Also, this tastes MUCH fresher than the Weihenstephaner hefe I had last weekend (got them from different sources)... I think that may have been the issue with it.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Ok, here's one. I'm a huge black-n-tan fan. Been perfecting the technique with a basic kitchen ladle in a pint glass; about 60% Bass, 35% Guinness Stout Draught (can), 5% head. So, tonight, I experiment and use a common 12 oz glass mug, pouring in about the same proportions without using any ladle or similar apparatus. Turns out the drink forms fine. Either I'm teh awesome, or the apparatus is not needed. I vote for (b).
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by legame »

Played a show at French Broad Brewery in Asheville Saturday night and had an unlimited beer tap. I heavily enjoyed (perhaps too much) their Wee Heavy-er Scotch ale, Ryehopper rye pale, and new barley wine. I'm not sure what their distribution is like, but be sure to check them out if you're ever in Tennessee/NC/Georgia.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

bhaw wrote:Warfstiener on sale at the grocery store. $5 off a 12 pack. I adopted one.
bhaw, in your locale, have you seen “Sonoran 200” offered at a retail store? I am intrigued and found that I can order it online, but it ships from a wine distributor instead from the brewery. They have it listed at $37 a bottle, which is crazy stupid price for beer.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

legame wrote:Played a show at French Broad Brewery in Asheville Saturday night and had an unlimited beer tap. I heavily enjoyed (perhaps too much) their Wee Heavy-er Scotch ale, Ryehopper rye pale, and new barley wine. I'm not sure what their distribution is like, but be sure to check them out if you're ever in Tennessee/NC/Georgia.

:thumb: That sounds like an awesome deal for you.
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by legame »

I go out of my way to book shows at brewpubs and microbreweries as much as possible. Unlimited Hopsecutioner at Terrapin, for example, makes the awful drive to Athens, GA seem almost worthwhile. The craft brew folks are always incredibly kind to musicians.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Stopped by Whole Foods, and to my surprise discovered a Great Lakes brew I hadn't had before, Blackout Stout, a Russian Imperial. Is Great Lakes ever going to make anything that isn't fantastic? You get the impression it is going to primarily be cocoa, but the array of flavors are just fantastic. The hops mesh perfectly with the maltiness, which meshes perfectly with the heavier nature of the stout. At 9.0%, the alcohol is masked reasonably well. Fantastic.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

shafnutz05 wrote:Stopped by Whole Foods, and to my surprise discovered a Great Lakes brew I hadn't had before, Blackout Stout, a Russian Imperial. Is Great Lakes ever going to make anything that isn't fantastic? You get the impression it is going to primarily be cocoa, but the array of flavors are just fantastic. The hops mesh perfectly with the maltiness, which meshes perfectly with the heavier nature of the stout. At 9.0%, the alcohol is masked reasonably well. Fantastic.

There's a reason it's named Blackout. Did a car bomb using blackout the other night. It wa better than the Guinness ones
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Ya, I had four in one night and felt it more than some 10%+. Damn fine brew.
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by legame »

Haven't had a Blackout Stout in a long time. Great beer.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I wanted to try the Victory Red Thunder over the weekend, but with my awesome powers of observation, I overlooked the fact that it was corked... and I have nothing suitable to remove it with. I had to "settle" for the Vitus.
letsgoalpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by letsgoalpens »

legame wrote:Played a show at French Broad Brewery in Asheville Saturday night and had an unlimited beer tap. I heavily enjoyed (perhaps too much) their Wee Heavy-er Scotch ale, Ryehopper rye pale, and new barley wine. I'm not sure what their distribution is like, but be sure to check them out if you're ever in Tennessee/NC/Georgia.
I had a few of their brews and always loved their name. Didn't realize it was named after the street in Asheville until we went there. Great city to visit, just wish places downtown had air conditioning!