GDT: 2013 World Junior Championships

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
SteelCityFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: GDT: 2013 World Junior Championships

Post by SteelCityFan »

meecrofilm wrote:
SteelCityFan wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:You don't pick a forward just for the sake of it -- it's unfortunate that the one time the Pens have a Top-10 pick is one of the worst drafts for forwards in recent memory. If they had picked up the #8 pick in this year's draft, well.... that'd be much more exciting.
I agree, you don't pick a forward just for the sake of picking a forward. But I truly believe the kid has some serious talent. On the flip side, do you think Pouliot was a reach at 8?
The one player then and now I would've taken ahead of him was Jacob Trouba. But I don't want to turn this into another Pouliot draft thread, there's been enough of those already.
I'm also a huge Trouba fan. And I agree, I don't want to turn this into another draft thread, and I sincerely hope Pouliot is going to be a superstar for us.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

Jordan Binnington will be starting the bronze medal game for Canada. Too late... he was the better goalie in the exhibition games and should've been "the guy" from the start IMO.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I'm getting tired of Canadians saying things like "The US played well, they deserved to win. Anyone can win 1 game". Sure they can. But your team has no advantage over the US squad in a 7 game series either.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

tfrizz wrote:Jordan Binnington will be starting the bronze medal game for Canada. Too late... he was the better goalie in the exhibition games and should've been "the guy" from the start IMO.
I felt the same way coming into the tournament as well. But it's easy to say now I guess...what can you do...#TeamFucale
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Post by Godric »

Who is playing in the gold medal game and who is playing Canada in the bronze?
PaLionking
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by PaLionking »

US vs Sweden for the gold & Russia vs Canada for bronze
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pressure=9Pa »

Idoit40fans wrote:I'm getting tired of Canadians saying things like "The US played well, they deserved to win. Anyone can win 1 game". Sure they can. But your team has no advantage over the US squad in a 7 game series either.
Eh, I'd pick the Canadians in a 7 game series, probably in 6 or so. What the Canadians have over the US is that they could probably field 5 teams that could compete at this level. I would believe positions 89 - 110 in Canada are much stronger than positions 89-110 in the US, or anywhere else. 1-22 the advantage is much, much smaller.
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pressure=9Pa »

pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pressure=9Pa »

Trying to generate everything from the doorstep today it seems.
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pressure=9Pa »

Spoiler:
US is winning most of the puck battles, but SWE isn't allowing any breakaways to result.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Post by darkstar57 »

Seth jones is going to be the one of the best defensemen in the NHL in 5 years you can see it
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Fire0nice228 »

pressure=9Pa wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I'm getting tired of Canadians saying things like "The US played well, they deserved to win. Anyone can win 1 game". Sure they can. But your team has no advantage over the US squad in a 7 game series either.
Eh, I'd pick the Canadians in a 7 game series, probably in 6 or so. What the Canadians have over the US is that they could probably field 5 teams that could compete at this level. I would believe positions 89 - 110 in Canada are much stronger than positions 89-110 in the US, or anywhere else. 1-22 the advantage is much, much smaller.
What difference does it make when only the top 20-22 would be playing in a 7 game series? I dont think very many would argue that Canada is deeper than any other country, but as far as the cream of the crop of each country the gap isn't that big amongst the RUS,USA,CAN,SWE
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by thepittman »

Good battle so far, GO USA
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

Woke up just in time.
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pressure=9Pa »

Fire0nice228 wrote:
pressure=9Pa wrote:
What difference does it make when only the top 20-22 would be playing in a 7 game series? I dont think very many would argue that Canada is deeper than any other country, but as far as the cream of the crop of each country the gap isn't that big amongst the RUS,USA,CAN,SWE
Exactly my point. In a tournament like this (or a best of seven with these players), there's not much difference. Canada's dominence of the sport is in their depth.
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pressure=9Pa »

Spoiler:
Gibson will probably have to make 1 or 2 more tough ones.
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pressure=9Pa »

Spoiler:
I hope international refs don't utilize the obligatory PP in this situation like the NHL guys do.
luv66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by luv66 »

Spoiler:
Gibson was amazing. USA! :fist:
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Fire0nice228 »

Spoiler:
great game, glad to see USA win. Killed 2+ hours at work with this one haha :)
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pressure=9Pa »

Spoiler:
Fantastic puck control in the last five minutes to seal it.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

wooo, 2 in 4 years?
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pressure=9Pa »

darkstar57 wrote:Seth jones is going to be the one of the best defensemen in the NHL in 5 years you can see it
That might be a bit premature, but he's had a fantastic tournament - at least what I have seen.
luv66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by luv66 »

pressure=9Pa wrote:
Spoiler:
Fantastic puck control in the last five minutes to seal it.
agreed
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Just read that Forsberg made the tournament all star team.....hopefully we don't regret not drafting him years from now...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

That's a very poor choice in my opinion. I would have taken Karlsson and Arvidsson over him for sure on just the Swedish team...would have put him in the Rakell, Collberg area...McCabe on the All-Tourney team, also a bit of a surprise, solid throughout but wasn't head and shoulders above all others really I didn't feel. Probably would have went with Yarullin from Russia, but McCabe isn't as much of a head scratcher as Forsberg is...