The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Cagsjr724
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Post by Cagsjr724 »

From reading this topic most of us hate Poni. Myself and all of my friends hate Poni. The ratings for his show have to be terrible. I don't understand how this guy still has a job. If I turn on the fan and hear his voice I turn it right back off and I assume most of you do as well.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

I usually bash Poni. But.....and this pains me to write this, when he was off the cuff the other day talking nonsense I actually enjoyed it. It was around x mas and I actually enjoyed it.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Post by Tim Thomasen »

FreeCandy44 wrote:I usually bash Poni. But.....and this pains me to write this, when he was off the cuff the other day talking nonsense I actually enjoyed it. It was around x mas and I actually enjoyed it.
What was he talking about?
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Post by Tim Thomasen »

Cagsjr724 wrote:From reading this topic most of us hate Poni. Myself and all of my friends hate Poni. The ratings for his show have to be terrible. I don't understand how this guy still has a job. If I turn on the fan and hear his voice I turn it right back off and I assume most of you do as well.
Pretty much yeah. There can be times where I hear a commercial he's doing and I would turn the radio off because I just can't stand his voice. It makes me put my fist through a wall. Not to mention he appears on the Sports Showdown and he has a annoying face to go with his voice. As for his ratings, they can't be great and anywhere I talk to or read on the internet can't stand him and it shows in his calls as he doesn't take that many and spend chunks of time BSing with the sports update guy in the studio. But given there's not much competition on from 6-10 (I think Bendel is on at that time) the other station's ratings can't be that great either.
Cagsjr724
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cagsjr724 »

Bendel is 6-10 now?? I missed that. who is on 3-6 at 970??
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Tim Thomasen »

Cagsjr724 wrote:Bendel is 6-10 now?? I missed that. who is on 3-6 at 970??
I said I think and I was wrong anyways, he's on from 4-7.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

FreeCandy44 wrote:I usually bash Poni. But.....and this pains me to write this, when he was off the cuff the other day talking nonsense I actually enjoyed it. It was around x mas and I actually enjoyed it.
When he is just shooting the bull with mueller, poni can be pretty funny. when he works with someone else, he can be entertaining. when hes alone though, its just unbearable.
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pensfan1989 »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
When he is just shooting the bull with mueller, poni can be pretty funny. when he works with someone else, he can be entertaining. when hes alone though, its just unbearable.
Giannotti is just the opposite. I thought he was great alone, but has gone downhill since his move to the morning show IMO
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

So January 2 starts CBS sports radio. Will this change the fan at all?
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Tim Thomasen »

FreeCandy44 wrote:So January 2 starts CBS sports radio. Will this change the fan at all?
I thought they weren't making any major changes to the regular programming. Just changes in the overnight programming.

Hopefully i'm wrong and changes are made.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Paul Zeiss is stammering and muttering like a drunk right now. I swear it sounds like he's drunk. That or just dumb.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Tim Thomasen »

FreeCandy44 wrote:Paul Zeiss is stammering and muttering like a drunk right now. I swear it sounds like he's drunk. That or just dumb.
Nah, that's just how Paul Zeise acts when he's doing radio.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

The way................he pauses when.............he talks? Wow that's annoying.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Tim Thomasen »

I hear ya. To me what's annoying about him is he'll talk very loud for no apparent reason on the radio. One time I was listening to him talk about the Pirates and a guy was calling in to say the Pirates shouldn't make moves that could damage the future and Zeise said in a loud voice: LISTEN, THE PIRATES ARE IN A POSITION TO WIN RIGHT NOW ALRIGHT. NEAL HUNTINGTON NEEDS TO MAKE A SPLASH TO PUT THIS TEAM OVER THE HUMP!! I'm thinking to myself: Why are you yelling at me Paul? I can understand your point without sounding like a maniac.

That said, Zeise is pretty entertaining to listen to, espically when he's talking Pitt.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

FreeCandy44 wrote:The way................he pauses when.............he talks? Wow that's annoying.
Fillaponi does that a lot, too. I just can't stand the sound and style of his voice. I actually think he makes good points and can carry an interesting conversation, but can't listen for more than 30 seconds anymore.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

ziese is rather excitable but seems like a genuinely good guy and unlike some of the sports writers in this town, he actually cares.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Tim Thomasen wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:So January 2 starts CBS sports radio. Will this change the fan at all?
I thought they weren't making any major changes to the regular programming. Just changes in the overnight programming.

Hopefully i'm wrong and changes are made.
Only overnight is changing I thought. I don't any other format changing. If I wanted all national broadcasts I'd just listen to ESPN.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

What is this "competition" I overheard on the drive home show? I was flicking through the station and listened just long enough to hear Miller talking about 3 guys.

If Poni even gets moved to that time slot I'll be able to just go ahead and skip over rather than listen to what they might be saying.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

Malkamaniac wrote:What is this "competition" I overheard on the drive home show? I was flicking through the station and listened just long enough to hear Miller talking about 3 guys.

If Poni even gets moved to that time slot I'll be able to just go ahead and skip over rather than listen to what they might be saying.
I've seen a few Pgh media members mention that Siebel's seat will be filled by either Mueller, Poni, or Dunlap. So perhaps that is it?

I've heard Dunlap and Mueller together before, and they were terrific. Too bad that wont happen anytime soon.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

colin dunlap is a ham and egger
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

dunlap loves to bash yinzers
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

also, did anyone else know that ed from bloomfield died?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

He's a self loathing yinzer.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:also, did anyone else know that ed from bloomfield died?
Did he take Lily with him?
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Troy Loney wrote:He's a self loathing yinzer.
dont we all have a little bit of self loathing yinzer in us?