GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by Kraftster »

I've been off since last Friday and so far have tried:

Stone 12.12.12 Vertical Epic (BSDA) -- 7/10 -- solid but unremarkable
Troeg's Scratch #82 (Tripel) -- 7.5/10 -- a nice effort at a tripel, along the lines of La Fin du Monde flavor wise, I thought.
Ommegang XV (BSDA/Trappist style) -- 7/10 -- solid but a bit too one note on the flavor
Ommegang/Chouffe (collab) Gnomegang (BSPA) -- 8.5/10 -- very tasty, I think its a limited release so I'd try it if you can get it.
Lost Abbey/New Belgium (collab) (American Wild Ale) -- 5.5/10 -- the worst beer I've had in a long time, and I paid $14 for a 12 oz bottle so I had every reason to find a way to like it. It got a bit better as it approached room temp but the most incongruent nose for actual taste I think I've ever experienced. Smells like it should be sour but its not. Very bland, not even much funk. Pear/apple skin was about the only decent flavor to be found. Also lacking carbonation for the style/flavor it seemed to be going for. This one was just lost on me. Not worth the money at all, imo.

Going to be cracking the Dupont Avec les Bons Voeux, which is characterized as a "winter" saison, here in a few minutes. Very curious to try it. Heavy ABV for a saison at almost 10%.
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by legame »

Picking up a few sixers of Troegs "Impending Descent" tomorrow to trade with a buddy who works for Big Sky Brewing in Montana.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

This is really good. Nice balance of funk and sweet. The extra 2-3% abv is hardly noticeable in the taste, perhaps a bit more warming than most saisons. The cork almost rocketed off this thing when I loosened it the tiniest bit, I love the carbonation in saisons. This thing was made for a tulip glass, massive head.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Guinness Black Lager: well worth the $4 I paid for the 6 pack, but in no way does this hold a candle to normal Guinness beers. Very odd tasting.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Should be getting ahold of some Weihenstephaner and Penn Weizen tonight so I'll be able to do a taste test between those and Franziskaner.

Also will be getting some Dark hefeweizen and Vitus from Weihenstephaner, as well as a huge ass bottle of Delirium Tremens.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

bhaw wrote:Guinness Black Lager: well worth the $4 I paid for the 6 pack, but in no way does this hold a candle to normal Guinness beers. Very odd tasting.
I found it very smooth, but lacking any character. Might taste better less chilled.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

That's probably the perfect description. It is smooth for sure, but it's stuck between regular beer and Guinness. Like the Guinness is trying to get out "help me!"
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malkinshair »

Well, after an extremely stressful week, I'm about to crawl inside a bottle of Sam Smith's Imperial Stout...
then set sail with a six-pack of Heavy Seas Loose Cannon (IPA).

Cheers :P
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Defence21 »

Has anyone tried Penn's Nut Roll Ale?
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Dragonsmilk Stout. So hearty with a perfect finish.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

1 6 pack of franziskaner and a few pints of weihenstephaner tonight... awwww yeah
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Defence21 wrote:Has anyone tried Penn's Nut Roll Ale?
Yes. It tastes like a nut roll in a bottle.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

the wicked child wrote:Should be getting ahold of some Weihenstephaner and Penn Weizen tonight so I'll be able to do a taste test between those and Franziskaner.

Also will be getting some Dark hefeweizen and Vitus from Weihenstephaner, as well as a huge ass bottle of Delirium Tremens.
Also a Kristall Weizen from Weihenstephaner.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Last minute invite to the OSU vs. Miami game tonight. Quick stop at the Sharp Edge before the game, and I think I've officially had it with that place.
Spoiler:
I looked online at the tap list before going to save myself the time because I knew I'd be cutting it close. Based upon the online tap list I was going to get the Dupont saison I had last night to compare bottle to tap. Got there and, of course, it was not on the actual list at the bar. So I ordered a Chouffe N'ice instead.

"That's currently off." "Oh," I say. "Man, are you guys out of the sours from the tap takeover already?" (there was a sour takeover on one of their taps starting Wednesday) "No, we still have them. The Chouffe is not a sour." "I know, I simply said that because I don't see the sours on the beer list." "Oh, well that's just a special thing so its not on there." "OK, what sours do you have?" She lists them and they are pretty average sours, but hey, at least they have sours. I order the one I haven't tried that is supposed to be good, the Flanders Fred.

"Here you go, they are only 5 oz pours." Splendid, I get a little taster glass of this sour after all that hassle. I later find that the 5 oz pour is $6 - about right for Sharp Edge.

So, now I set out to find what else I will order. I look at the tap list. It is literally the same GD Sharp Edge tap list that I see every time I am there except for some decent Christmas options (though not the N'ice, its currently "off"). Over the Edge, Bornem, Chimay ($14.50 per pour), Dekoninck, Duvel, Grimbergen, Gulden Draak, Leffe, Piraat, Wittekerke, Karmeliet, Framboise. I'm like, "I seriously don't want any of that. I'd drink a Chimay but not for $14 f'ing 50."

"Do you know what you want?" "How bout the Corsendonk Christmas?" "We basically don't have any of the belgian christmas beers on there." "Umm...ok, how bout the Goose Island Christmas?" "We have the Lancaster Winter Warmer." "No thanks. And you don't have the Dupont winter saison, do you? I saw it listed online. "Umm, hey guy (other bartender), do we have any bottles of the saison dupont?" "I don't want a bottle."

So I look at the domestic list again. Do you have the Founders Breakfast Stout?" "Yeah, we have some bottles of it." I say, "That's ok." She goes and is about to open a bottle of it and I yell "Stop, I don't want a bottle." "Ok, well the darkest thing we have is probably this Kostritzer." Suddenly I'm searching for only "dark" beers? Anyway, I had already decided I would have that because it was right in front of me and I know its pretty good.
I kind of can't stand that place anymore.

Edit: God, that is way longer than I thought it was seeing it posted. I am spoilering it because it is a bad tl;dnr csb.
Last edited by Kraftster on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

sharp edge will always be the place that i got top 5 all time drunk with a bunch of lgp'ers, so that's good in my book.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Hmm. Something happened with this Southampton Saison Deluxe that I just cracked. Should be seeing a couple fingers of head and I'm barely seeing any even with a vigorous pour. Should be smelling some classic saison grass, pepper, and yeast, and I smell nothing but tart. This tastes like a sour (which is fine, I like sours) with some sugar you'd get with a saison. Strange, not sure what would cause this thing to go sour.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Final tally from this haul:

8 Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen
1 pint Weihenstephaner Dark Hefeweizen
1 pint Weihenstephaner Kristall Hefeweizen
1 pint Weihenstephaner Vitus
750mL Delirium Tremens

1 Penn Weizen (traded my friend a Franziskaner for it)

Yeah, I am pretty damn happy right now.

Also tried some beers from Butternuts tonight:

Heinnieweisse - solid hefe
Porkslap Pale Ale - ok, nothing special
Snapperhead IPA - ok, nothing special
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Which Sharpedge did you go to Kraftster?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

the wicked child wrote:
as a note, I was not being a smart ass... it literally tastes like you are drinking a nut roll. Perhaps interesting for a taste, but not really worth a full glass, IMO... although I noticed if you get it @ the brewery, they dip the edge of the glass in brown sugar, so perhaps that makes it a bit more interesting.

If you found yourself @ the brewery though, you'd be much better served having St. Nick or St. Nick's Reserve...
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Downtown.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Kraftster wrote:Downtown.
Ah, so the emporium or whatever it's called. I usually go to the Creekhouse in Crafton... it has yet to leave me down.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Defence21 »

the wicked child wrote:
the wicked child wrote:
as a note, I was not being a smart ass... it literally tastes like you are drinking a nut roll. Perhaps interesting for a taste, but not really worth a full glass, IMO... although I noticed if you get it @ the brewery, they dip the edge of the glass in brown sugar, so perhaps that makes it a bit more interesting.

If you found yourself @ the brewery though, you'd be much better served having St. Nick or St. Nick's Reserve...
Haha, I was wondering. Thanks for the tip!
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

the wicked child wrote:
I don't think I could drink a glass of this. Sounds too sweet.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Let me guess, someone stole your sweet roll?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I don't really remember the Nut Roll Ale being overly sweet, but unless you REALLY like nut rolls, you should pass.