GDT: 2013 World Junior Championships

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

GDT: 2013 World Junior Championships

Post by mikey287 »

Pre-tournament games are finished...time to get the real thing moving...

Dec. 29 on the docket:
Latvia vs. Sweden - 7:00 am EST
Germany vs. Russia - 9:00 am EST

Standings (thru Dec. 28):
Spoiler:
Group A
W-OTW-OTL-L - GF:GA ((Pts))
---
Sweden - 1-1-0-0 - 7:3 ((5))
Switz. - 1-0-1-0 - 9:5 ((4))
Czech - 1-0-0-1 - 4:5 ((3))
Finland - 1-0-0-1 - 6:4 ((3))
Latvia - 0-0-0-2 - 3:12 ((0))

####

Group B
W-OTW-OTL-L - GF:GA ((Pts))
---
Canada - 2-0-0-0 - 15:6 ((6))
Russia - 1-1-0-0 - 5:3 ((5))
United St - 1-0-0-1 - 9:2 ((3))
Slovakia - 0-0-1-1 - 5:9 ((1))
Germany - 0-0-0-2 - 3:17 ((0))
Dec. 28 scores
Spoiler:
Canada 6 vs. Slovakia 3
Finland 1 vs. Czech Republic 3
Sweden 3 vs. Switzerland 2 (SO)
Russia 2 vs. United States 1
Dec. 27 scores:
Switzerland 7 vs. Latvia 2
United States 8 vs. Germany 0

Dec. 26 scores:
Latvia 1 vs. Finland 5
Germany 3 vs. Canada 9
Czech Republic 1 vs. Sweden 4
Slovakia 2 vs. Russia 3 (OT)

If you are Penguin-centric, here's who we have in the tournament:
Latvia #21 C Teodors Blugers
Finland #2 D Olli Määttä
Canada #6 Scott Harrington

I don't think I'm missing anyone...will comment more later...careful of spoilers everyone because these games will be replayed at reasonable times and DVR'd and all that...
Last edited by mikey287 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: GDT: 2013 World Junior Championships

Post by shoeshine boy »

all USA games will be streamed live on NHL.com.

Boone Jenner (Canada) suspended 3 games for late hit that injured a Swedish player in the pre-tourney games. in other news, water is wet.

edited because I couldn't remember the kid's first name. :face:
Last edited by shoeshine boy on Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pressure=9Pa »

Judging only from a light twitter following, SWE was impressive in their debut.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

shoeshine boy wrote:all USA games will be streamed live on NHL.com.

Brody Jenner (Canada) suspended 3 games for late hit that injured a Swedish player in the pre-tourney games. in other news, water is wet.
Boone. And yeah, Boone has a history (he bonked Olli Maatta last year, IIRC) so this suspension is excessive because of that. The IIHF values injury highly, which is a dangerous game in its own right. But whatever, Canada will stick with him and he'll be back later in the tournament.

I'll wait to post comments on the games from this morning, because some people haven't seen them yet on the replay here in primetime...
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pressure=9Pa »

If anyone's watching the USA v GER game in real time, should we make a seperate thread with spoilers?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

No, just spoil things in this thread.
Spoiler:
Watch out for Leon Draisiatl's lethal passing attack, 2014 eligible.
For instance ^
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pressure=9Pa »

Spoiler:
Heck of a start.
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pressure=9Pa »

Spoiler:
I get the feeling we're not going to learn much today.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Germany/USA:
Spoiler:
Yeah, I mean, for the Germans, it's just a matter of staying in this tournament. They've been relegated every other year for a decade. They always end up in the bottom two. So, now that they only relegate one team, the Germans just want to remain with the elites. Cupper is a fine goalie and they have some major junior kids to get it done possibly. They started their backup against the Canadians on Boxing Day, just want to live to fight another day. Back to back games against Canada and the USA isn't a great start for them. But they just need to save their energy for a battle they can win. Might have to find a TSN feed because I can't listen to E.J. Hradek for another hour and a half...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I'll keep the OP updated with spoilers, scores + standings
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pressure=9Pa »

Spoiler:
I certainly don't have the skill or the knowledge to evaluate talent like you do, but when I see faceoffs and shots as lopsided as they are, I don't see a lot of hope for the Germans, and I think the US is probably closer to the talent median of this tournament than is Germany. Staying in this tournament I'm sure is a great source of pride, but I'm not sure what it really does to elevate the skill level of the prospect pool.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Germany/USA:
Spoiler:
That's crippling for the Germans, you can't have that seconds into a period. That kills your morale.

At your other comment: This is a good chance to hone your skills with the guys you have. Like an additional exhibition match, sure things up defensively, you set goals for your players: "guys, we want 80% faceoffs this period..." "guys, no more than 5 shots against this period and no PKs" - things like that, set competitive goals to challenge your players, keep them sharp, avoid bad habits.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

This is amusing. Its like john madden v pens a decade or so ago pop
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Damn, I miss hockey.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Pittsburgh native and Anaheim draft pick John Gibson in net for USA.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

DelPen wrote:Pittsburgh native and Anaheim draft pick John Gibson in net for USA.
Spoiler:
Do they even need a goalie in this game?
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Germanys third game is against russia. Pop
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Gibson got chased pop
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by blurryhaze312 »

Spoiler:
Galchenyuk looks awesome. He was suffocating the Germany D-man on that turnover-goal. Will be nice to see him on the Olympic team...
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

mikey287 wrote:
shoeshine boy wrote:all USA games will be streamed live on NHL.com.

Brody Jenner (Canada) suspended 3 games for late hit that injured a Swedish player in the pre-tourney games. in other news, water is wet.
Boone. And yeah, Boone has a history (he bonked Olli Maatta last year, IIRC) so this suspension is excessive because of that. The IIHF values injury highly, which is a dangerous game in its own right. But whatever, Canada will stick with him and he'll be back later in the tournament.

I'll wait to post comments on the games from this morning, because some people haven't seen them yet on the replay here in primetime...

oops! my bad. thanks for the correction. I kept looking at it going, "is that right? it doesn't look right. I should double-check" and just never did. was there a Brody Jenner on The Hills or some other crappy show like that?

anyhow, Jenner got multiple games because he's a repeat offender
Canada may be down to 10 forwards for the USA game if the IIHF suspends the 2 players from today who were tossed. on the surface it looks like Yakupov was right about the Canadians. :scared:
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Best game of the tournament so far. Not surprising.
ILikeTurtles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ILikeTurtles »

USA/Russia:
Spoiler:
Tough game for the USA to lose, they outplayed Russia most of the game and the refs really ate their whistles in the 3rd.
Also I have enjoyed listening to Steve Mears the two games, would like him to replace steigy if possible
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

USA/Russia & Sweden/Switzerland:
Spoiler:
Switched to the TSN feed because Gord Miller and Ray Ferraro call an excellent game. Mears isn't bad, still young and has some kinks to work out, but he has some potential. Hradek is just a complete dope, I can't listen to him.

I got the USA/Russia game late because Sweden/Switzerland ran long (shootout), good defensive effort as usual by the Swiss. Swedes with a dismissive effort, not willing to fight through the defense. Came away impressed with some players, unimpressed with others. Sweden switched their goalie for the shootout actually - the new goalie stopped all 3 shots, which were fairly weak attempts, mostly headed five hole. Interesting choice by Ronnberg.

Anyway, the Russia/USA game was a very good game. Good transition to it. The United States can't pass and the Russians refuse to, so I'm not sure which is worse. Got a little soft on the D zone coverage there with the mobile unit of Jones/Reilly, that led to the bull work by Nichushkin (2013) and rebound goal for the Russians. Gostisbhere continues to impress, a little bit of a gambler, but he's logging a ton of minutes here and looking pretty good. Flyers pick from Union College. Gibson - who was very bad against the Finns in last year's tournament - has been sharp and confident. He's on his game very well, his pushes are terrific and he's handling rebound control much better. Last year he was burping up pucks on routine plays, this year, he looks much more composed and confident. The Russians can't go wrong in net it looks like. They've played two games with two different goalies and they've each won player of the game plates (Vasilevskiy (TB) against the Slovaks, Makarov (BUF) against the Americans). Another terrible penalty late, one that might be looked at once again, by the Russians nearly cost them a much-needed point, or three.

The American lines and timing are kind of strange and weren't really adjusted in the third period when things began to stagnate a little. Some of the muckers and workers got out there with 2 minutes left in a 1-goal deficit, which isn't always a bad thing, but I'm just a bit surprised with some of the combinations Housley went with. No surprise that he wants to generate offense from the point and get the defensemen activated, almost to a fault, as we saw on the last rushes: ripe with blueline drop passes that were snuffed out by the chance-taking Russians out high. I wouldn't mind seeing Alex Galchenyuk a little more, and at center, get the puck on his stick and just see what happens a little more maybe.

The Americans aren't as good as the Russians in my opinion, but the lack of urgency from Russia is strange, the lack of teamwork is strange too. Given how often these guys have been together now...same basic team and same basic mindset as in the Subway Super Series - 1 guy will take on 1 to 4 players and if they score, good and if they don't, they'll just do it again. And look at Nichushkin's late goal, 1 on 4 basically and he had a late guy go hard to the net while the Americans watched Jones get beat to his own net down low. That was a game the Americans could have easily won or at least gotten a point out of...
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pressure=9Pa »

Spoiler:
I was watching on and off at work without sound, which isn't best for analysis (or for career longevity), but I'm not discouraged by the loss. It probably means no first round bye, but I didn't see anything that says the US can't compete against the other teams in the tourney. That doesn't mean we're the favorites by any stretch, but I don't see an obvious talent gap.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

The US definitely wasnt favorite at any point. But i think everyone would agree that they were and are a serious contender for gold.