The Walking Dead

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Walking Dead - Season 3

Post by viva la ben »

If they end the season before the battle I will be jacked
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

Just finished all of the comics....Completely caught up. Cannot wait to see if they follow the storylines in the series.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Loaf31 wrote:Just finished all of the comics....Completely caught up. Cannot wait to see if they follow the storylines in the series.
Governor, better in TV or comic? I say TV by far.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

DelPen wrote:
Loaf31 wrote:Just finished all of the comics....Completely caught up. Cannot wait to see if they follow the storylines in the series.
Governor, better in TV or comic? I say TV by far.
I like the route that they are going in TV better than the comic, but the guy that I want to see in the TV series in the distant future is.....

Comic book
Spoiler:
Negen
and I know that I am getting ahead of myself there.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

http://tvline.com/2012/12/21/walking-de ... a-leaving/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Season 4 renewed but Glen Mazzara leaving.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

DelPen wrote:http://tvline.com/2012/12/21/walking-de ... a-leaving/

I'll preface this by admitting my dislike/indifference to the show (enjoyed the first season, made it 2 episodes into the 2nd season before I gave up), but three showrunners in four seasons is not a good trend, especially when the show is based on existing material and the first two showrunners are fired/let go due to creative differences with the studio.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Dickie Dunn wrote:
DelPen wrote:http://tvline.com/2012/12/21/walking-de ... a-leaving/

I'll preface this by admitting my dislike/indifference to the show (enjoyed the first season, made it 2 episodes into the 2nd season before I gave up), but three showrunners in four seasons is not a good trend, especially when the show is based on existing material and the first two showrunners are fired/let go due to creative differences with the studio.
the quality decreased dramatically when frank darabont was canned. amc is going the way of network television (specifically Fox/NBC) that micromanage popular series and defecate all over it...Heroes should be the case study on what not to do as a network.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

The breaking up the season thing is really irritating me. You start getting into it and then bam, hiatus.

Not as bad as early Lost where you would get 2 episodes, break, rinse and repeat... But still annoying.

I'd like to see better consistency with blending action and character building. Last season had 2 very different halves that both went probably too far in either direction... This time it seems like most of the issues resolve within an episode or so. Not that I want a repeat of the Sophia debacle which went on about 3 episodes too long, but there should be some kind of ongoing story... Perhaps the town v. Prison will provide it.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

I know I should love TWD, as I'm a huge horror fan, but the show is just "okay" as far as I'm concerned. I can't pinpoint what it is that leaves me feeling so ambivalent toward it either. I think most of it is the characters. I hated Lori and Shane. Rick's pretty darned grating most of the time and so is Carl. I think the only character I actually like is Daryl. Everyone else is either annoying or has so little story that you forget they're there. And they just keep adding new, cardboard characters and killing them off before there can be any development.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

the wicked child wrote:The breaking up the season thing is really irritating me. You start getting into it and then bam, hiatus.

Not as bad as early Lost where you would get 2 episodes, break, rinse and repeat... But still annoying.

I'd like to see better consistency with blending action and character building. Last season had 2 very different halves that both went probably too far in either direction... This time it seems like most of the issues resolve within an episode or so. Not that I want a repeat of the Sophia debacle which went on about 3 episodes too long, but there should be some kind of ongoing story... Perhaps the town v. Prison will provide it.
the character development on the show is putrid. theyve painted themselves into a situation where i dont care about anybody on the show or have any vested interest in their mindset or motivations. its all a jumbled mess of "survivors" versus "town" with a zombie backdrop. the way michonne has been presented is just putrid.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Hmm. Yeah I agree canaan. I don't know what Michonne should be like, but I find myself not really caring. I guess that applies to a lot of the others too when I really think about it...

I outright hate Andrea. She has always annoyed me to an extent. Letting the blonde girl almost kill herself really turned me against her, and she has done nothing to change my opinion since... Save for maybe making me dislike her more.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

I know it's probably like comparing Apples to Volkwagons, but take a show like Boardwalk Empire. It has it's flaws (episodes where nothing seems to happen) and it's own annoying characters (Margaret, of course), but it has a huge cast of characters and even the most minor of which are more fleshed out and developed than anyone on TWD. As big as TWD has grown, there's no reason they can't spend a bit more time on the writing.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

People would complain about not having enough zombie action, if they were to do that.

I think the biggest problem with show - which I do like - is that the acting is just terrible.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

I think there's a way to balance action with character development. Look at shows like Boardwalk or even Sons of Anarchy.

I like the show too. I just feel like it could be much better. I think the bad acting is a byproduct of the writing. It's hard to give a great performance when you're given nothing with which to work.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Anyone else pumped for season 3 to resume?
Spoiler:
Read an interview where Glenn is leaving the show at the end of the season, so he'll be killed.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Yeah...might want to mention that spoiler is not to be opened unless you want a future episode ruined...
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

newarenanow wrote:Anyone else pumped for season 3 to resume?
Spoiler:
Read an interview where Glenn is leaving the show at the end of the season, so he'll be killed.

Spoiler:
Well that happens in the comics so we'll see
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

Hockeynut! wrote:I think there's a way to balance action with character development. Look at shows like Boardwalk or even Sons of Anarchy.

I like the show too. I just feel like it could be much better. I think the bad acting is a byproduct of the writing. It's hard to give a great performance when you're given nothing with which to work.
I think it fits with the nature of the comic book... but I sort of agree. the drama edges on melodrama almost every episode.

I'm really hoping that they move on from the Prison before the season ends. Spoilers explain why, stuff from the comics within:
Spoiler:
Lots of action between there and Hilltop, plus a bunch of characters join and a few die that really start to define the group. There are also a few situations that would be pretty cool to reconstruct for TV, like the cannibals, and some of the other groups they encounter.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

PensFanInDC wrote:Yeah...might want to mention that spoiler is not to be opened unless you want a future episode ruined...
Isn't that what the spoiler tag is for?
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Spoilers are marked for when someone isn't caught up. If you are up to date on a show/movie/comic, it should be safe to look at something marked for spoilers.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Nice opening.....
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Yep.
ville5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ville5 »

Poor Hines got his face blown to bits.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Carl really bugs me.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

FreeCandy44 wrote:Nice opening.....
Think so? I thought it was awful.

"Fight to the death. Brother vs. brother!
...vs zombie? Sure why not. That doesn't defeat the purpose at all"

"Follow my lead, Daryl, while we do nothing except wait ...for whatever."

And Merrill is just an overall awful character.