GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by malkinshair »

eddysnake wrote:
malkinshair wrote:Got a 6-pack of Kona Pipeline Porter. Pretty darn good. Huge coffee flavor...almost too much. Don't bother trying it if you don't like cold coffee.
I thought the opposite with coffee flavor, I also had a cold, so that might have factored into it, but I enjoyed it very much
Yeah, my wife didn't get big coffee notes either...and I read some reviews after tasting that echoed your thoughts.

I'm just destined to never fit in. :wink:
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

i'm out on that anchor christmas beer. i don't know why i liked it the first time i had it. not my style at all.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

Not going to roll though this entire thread, so I'll pose the question here. Anyone ever have beer from Peak Organic Brewing? In particular the Winter Session Ale? This is the description, looks interesting:
This winter wheat beer uses dark malting to provide subtle toasty notes. We then single-hop and dry-hop this beer with Citra hops from our friend Brad’s farm. Interesting pineapple notes from the Citra hop provide a stark contrast to the toasty notes in the body. An engaging and sessionable Winter
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

picking up another 2 cases of Penn St Nikolaus Bock, this stuff doesn't last at all around the family
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

My sister will be bringing me a 4 pack of heady topper and a growler of El Jefe next week from The Alchemist in Vermont. Very excited for it.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I am going to Philly in March for a concert, and I think I'll try to go to Monk's.

I'd like to find these from my wish list somewhere out there:

Stillwater Cellar Door
Allagash Odyssey
Allagash Interlude
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Also, I am getting one of these from my friend in Portland.

Oregon’s oldest craft brewery Bridgeport Brewing unveils a new, limited brew this week for the Great American Beer Festival. They took the 2012 edition of Stumptown Tart, a fruit beer beer with 2,000 lbs of raspberries and aged it in oak barrels for two years. The result, a blend: 50% Belgian tripel aged in wine barrels for a year, 50% raspberry Belgian tripel.

Apparently something went wrong in the brewing process and it worked out for the better (says the brewery doesn't usually make high end stuff). He says its one of the best sours he's ever had.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

count2infinity wrote:My sister will be bringing me a 4 pack of heady topper and a growler of El Jefe next week from The Alchemist in Vermont. Very excited for it.
Nice! Interested to hear how the El Jefe is.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Kraftster wrote:Also, I am getting one of these from my friend in Portland.

Oregon’s oldest craft brewery Bridgeport Brewing unveils a new, limited brew this week for the Great American Beer Festival. They took the 2012 edition of Stumptown Tart, a fruit beer beer with 2,000 lbs of raspberries and aged it in oak barrels for two years. The result, a blend: 50% Belgian tripel aged in wine barrels for a year, 50% raspberry Belgian tripel.

Apparently something went wrong in the brewing process and it worked out for the better (says the brewery doesn't usually make high end stuff). He says its one of the best sours he's ever had.
That sounds intriguing.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

So I have a bottle of Sierra Nevada Oatmeal Stout and a different brand of stout (I don't remember, big bottle, orange label, think it says "double stout") that my brother gave me.

What can I expect from the Oatmeal Stout?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

MRandall25 wrote: What can I expect from the Oatmeal Stout?
divine bliss
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

eddysnake wrote:
MRandall25 wrote: What can I expect from the Oatmeal Stout?
divine bliss
basically. Oatmeal stouts have a nice "roastiness" to them that balances out the bitterness of the hops. Because of the roasting in most brewing processes, you often get notes of coffee, chocolate, cream. Because of the oats, the texture is richer, thicker, and smoother than a coffee or straight up stout. Oatmeal stouts often finish with a little on the sweetness but aren't overpowering. Oatmeal stouts are great "gateway beers" for people who are interesting in trying stouts and other dark beers. Yum-city
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

went to get a mix n match sixer, came out with a couple bombers of Southern Tier Oat!
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Kraftster wrote:I am going to Philly in March for a concert, and I think I'll try to go to Monk's.

I'd like to find these from my wish list somewhere out there:

Stillwater Cellar Door
Allagash Odyssey
Allagash Interlude
I also recommend the curry mussels (and frites) at Monks.
(If that's your sort of thing.)
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by legame »

Just had a peanut butter porter at a small brewpub here in Durham called Bull City Burger and Brewery. As awful as it may sound, it was actually really tastefully done and was delicious.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Wtf. How did my Penn St. Nick get skunky in 2 weeks in the fridge?
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

legame wrote:Just had a peanut butter porter at a small brewpub here in Durham called Bull City Burger and Brewery. As awful as it may sound, it was actually really tastefully done and was delicious.
Some stuff like that is deceptively delicious sometimes. It has to be done well and the right type of beer. I had a double chocolate and peanut butter stout that was delicious.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

The Oatmeal Stout:

The initial taste is kind of strong (it's similar to their red IPA, kind of bitter), but I like the roasty after-taste.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Picked up a 6 pack of Pyramid Outburst. It's an Imperial IPA, 8.5%. Not usually a huge IPA fan, but I like this one. Pryamid does a good job on their beers, not sure if you guys get it out east.

BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

bhaw wrote:Picked up a 6 pack of Pyramid Outburst. It's an Imperial IPA, 8.5%. Not usually a huge IPA fan, but I like this one. Pryamid does a good job on their beers, not sure if you guys get it out east.

What I've seen from them out here is few and far between.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

Went to a winery last night. Not really my thing, I'm sticking to the brews.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

I've become less a fan of wineries. Doesn't matter if it's one sampler or six, the hangover that follows sticks with me for an entire day. Did a tour around a bunch of wineries around Traverse City last year and I felt terrible the rest of the evening and part of the next morning.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

I generally prefer wine in my food rather than to drink. It makes me extremely sleepy.

One notable exception is Dow's White Port, but it is extremely difficult to get a hold of in PA for some reason. It's kind of a mix between a wine and a mead... very strong, but unlike some other White ports I've had, it doesn't end up tasting like you're drinking syrup.

The last bottle I had, I finished the night the arena deal was announced.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Post by Tim Thomasen »

My favorite type of beer is Samuel Adams Boston Lager. I love the taste, that it's smooth and it doesn't leave you with a bitter taste in your mouth.

Also when I was in Portland, OR this summer, I tried a beer made from a local brewery (Widmer Brothers) and the beer was called "Drifter", it's a pale ale. It had I very sweet taste and I enjoyed it very much. If they sold it in PA I would buy it.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malkinshair »

Bought my friend a bottle of V-12 from Victory. I've never tried it, but after reading some reviews I know I'd like it. My friend...I hope he does.