GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by ExPatriatePen »

BadHands71 wrote:IPA peeps, if you find Blue Point Hop Experiment, get it. It's a one time release and definitely worth checking out. Citrusy, piney hops and a smooth, slightly malty finish. Delicious.....
Blue point has a number of great beers. Their 'Toasted Lager' is my favorite Lager.
'Hoptical Illusion' will grab your attention. Good stuff.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Just got Bell's third coast old ale. Looking forward to it this evening. Reviews call it a barley wine and I love a good barley wine.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Victory Ranch Double IPA was pretty excellent. I was also suprised how much I liked the Penn st nicholas bock, or whatever it was called. I assume it's their x-mas beer. I usually don't care for Penn stuff, but this was good.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malkinshair »

Anybody try the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout? Saw it the other day at Giant Eagle...and I'm intrigued. Very good reviews online.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

malkinshair wrote:Anybody try the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout? Saw it the other day at Giant Eagle...and I'm intrigued. Very good reviews online.
Had it on draft and it was very good. Very smooth, great flavor. My only real complaint, and it's not much of a complaint, is that is wasn't heavy enough for a stout. Excellent medium-weight beer, though.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malkinshair »

Sigwolf wrote:
malkinshair wrote:Anybody try the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout? Saw it the other day at Giant Eagle...and I'm intrigued. Very good reviews online.
Had it on draft and it was very good. Very smooth, great flavor. My only real complaint, and it's not much of a complaint, is that is wasn't heavy enough for a stout. Excellent medium-weight beer, though.
Thanks! Good to hear. Surprising that it's not too heavy...but not a problem for me.

Can't decide between that and GL Blackout.

Oh well...I guess I'll have to get both. Here's to a liquid dinner. :face:
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

I like the Brooklyn Chocolate Stout as well. Agree with what Sig said.

Had Leinenkugel Snowdrift Vanilla Porter last night. Not good. Very little flavor to it and very light for a porter. Tempting fate and trying Shocktop Midnight Wheat tonight. Expectations are low, but we'll see. Luckily I've got some good backup options if that doesn't work out.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

MWB wrote:Leinenkugel Snowdrift Vanilla Porter last night. Not good. Very little flavor to it and very light for a porter
I saw this at Wegman's tonight, decided to skip it. Leinenkugel scares me, just because I'm not a big fan of their summer beers (fruity pebbles). I thought the vanilla would be overwhelming, but it sounds like it wasn't?
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

I hadn't had Leinenkugel anything before, but like vanilla porters so gave it a try. There just wasn't a whole lot to it.

That Shocktop wasn't good. Tiny hint of caramel and then a finish of spice that's just weird. I believe it's time to have a meeting with Sir Eddie Fitz.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Just poured myself a Lancaster Winter Warmer. Hmm...this is a fantastic winter beer. A lot of complex flavors, but it all comes together. Somewhat spicy opening with a little bit of a cloying, fruity finish (but not overly so). It's 9%, which is pretty well disguised, but a really enjoyable beer on a cold eve.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malkinshair »

Decided to scrap the stouts tonight for a case of Bell's Winter White Ale. Winter-spiced Witbier for the win! :thumb: Light citrus and banana, followed by big clove...and something else. I almost want to say lavender, but I don't think that's right. Anyway...Yummy. Less citrusy than a summer Witbier. Just took a good whiff, and this beer smells fantastic.

I must admit that I had a hard time accepting a Witbier as a 'winter' ale, but this stuff is a nice break from the heavier porters and stouts and bocks. The bonus is that it's 5%, so very sessionable. I'm going to thoroughly enjoy tonight.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Post by Godric »

41 days
Spoiler:
I know its the wrong thread but I don't want to make a new oneImage

+ Image
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Summit Winter Ale - Quite enjoyable
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

I should probably be drinking some winter beer, but instead I am enjoying a Franziskaner.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

malkinshair wrote:Decided to scrap the stouts tonight for a case of Bell's Winter White Ale. Winter-spiced Witbier for the win! :thumb: Light citrus and banana, followed by big clove...and something else. I almost want to say lavender, but I don't think that's right. Anyway...Yummy. Less citrusy than a summer Witbier. Just took a good whiff, and this beer smells fantastic.

I must admit that I had a hard time accepting a Witbier as a 'winter' ale, but this stuff is a nice break from the heavier porters and stouts and bocks. The bonus is that it's 5%, so very sessionable. I'm going to thoroughly enjoy tonight.
I just bought a 6 pack at Whole Foods. Can't wait to try it.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Picked up a sixer of 1554 at the gas station (that seemed odd), on the way home from the dog park.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Leinenkugels oktoberfest is below average
I liked Harpoons Winter Warmer
Sam Adams Winter Lager was ok, nothing special
Kona Pipeline Porter was very tasty, enjoyed the blended coffee taste (wasn't overpowering at all)
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Any day you crack open a st bernardus christmas ale is a good day
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Always liked 1554.

Had some Sam Smith Taddy Porters at the firm xmas party tonight. Just got home to have a couple Penn St. Nick Bocks.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

I really like the Bell's Winter White Ale. Malkinshair's review was on point.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malkinshair »

llipgh2 wrote:I really like the Bell's Winter White Ale. Malkinshair's review was on point.
:thumb:

Glad you liked it! I'm still enjoying it :wink:
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Got another Pyramid winter pack. Enjoying it the 2nd time around. The Snow Cap is probably my favorite. Drinking the Oatmeal Stout right now... that stuff is dark. Both are a solid 7%.

The Chai Wheat is an interesting break from the thick heavy dark beers. My wife drinks the hefe's in the pack.

Good news: my new house is close to a BevMo, which has a huge selection. Excited to try some stuff outside of what's available at the supermarkets.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

The place above has a good selection of Stone brewery beers. Def going to dig into those.

I mentioned before my affinity for Arrogant Bastard. I didn't realize they also made this:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/1056" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Double Bastard. Definitely making it into my car the next time I go. 11.2% as well. I probably won't be posting that night :lol:
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

eddysnake wrote: Kona Pipeline Porter was very tasty, enjoyed the blended coffee taste (wasn't overpowering at all)
Glad to hear a positive review on the Kona Porter. I really like their Koko Brown ale but haven't tried this one yet. I'll have to check it out.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

Lagunitas Undercover Shutdown Ale was my choice tonight. Very tasty. An American Strong ale which I'm not generally a fan of but was really impressed. It's got a great malt hi up front and finishes with a clean hop profile. The malt profile almost borders on a barleywine, it's sweet and almost caramel like but then the hops make you think pine and orange. Goooooood stuff!