GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by shafnutz05 »

lolol, this is not the right thread to be posting your daily calorie counts.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by tjand72 »

The Straubs didn't whet your appetite?
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Decided to take PTO tomorrow, so getting my Sunday NFL beer on. First up, 2XMAS. I've never had this before...wow, the first thing I thought was that it literally tastes like Christmas. Enjoyable.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

shafnutz05 wrote:
Eismann wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:Anyone try the Mystic Bridge IPA before?

I had a six this week and it wasn't a tradional IPA, but it was pretty good.

Wacky. That's my hometown (well, right next door); Mystic, that is. Not Pawcatuck where the brewer is.
You are from Mystic? I was at the CGA, spent a lot of time in Stonington, and golfed many a round at the crappy golf course at the Groton sub base. Spent a lot of time in that area.
Noank, specifically, but it's easier to just say Mystic, which most people have heard of. Good place to grow up and go back to visit once in a while. My parents are still there.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Nice!!! I know Noank, nice place. We used to sail from the CGA out to Fishers Island, and Block Island occasionally.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Anyone ever have the Schneider Weisse Tap X Mein Nelson Sauvin (Weizenbock)? I am a big Aventinus fan, and Giant Eagle now has bombers of this other S-W weizenbock. Not sure I'll drop $20 on one without a glowing endorsement, though.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

Kraftster wrote:Tried the Barbãr Winter Bok last night. A good Belgian Strong Dark Ale. Thought it smelled most strongly of sour cherries -- along the lines of Troegs Mad Elf. Dark fruits the predominant flavor, some cherry flavor as it warmed. Slight maltiness/toffee in the finish. It is brewed with honey and the honey is really the interesting flavor. I bet some find it to be odd and cloying. I don't mind it; in fact, I have to think about the sweetness being honey to realize that its honey. Its 8% (low end for BSDA) and you can't taste the alcohol one bit, which is also true of the standard Barbãr Honey Blonde (also 8%).

If you like Troegs Mad Elf, I think you'll probably like this unless you find the honey objectionable.

This sounds intersting. I like the initial taste of mad elf but I hate the finish
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Not sure where my post went, but I had a 2004 Dogfish World Wide Stout last night. Ended up splitting it with a friend because it was aged and the alcohol was high on the scale (not often I drink on a work night anymore.) Thing clocked in at 18% when bottled, so I'm sure it was probably closer to 20-21%. Dark doesn't begin to describe it. Aside from the Bell's Expedition Stout that I had awhile back, I haven't seen a stout stick to the glass like this one did. Very chocolaty, tasted some vanilla, some coffee, and a faint taste of hops. The closest thing that I can compare it to might be the Founders Breakfast Stout. I was surprised at the carbonation for a beer that's been sitting for close to a decade. Downside to a beer with that high alcohol content, it got rough once it got warm. Was trying to enjoy it for as long as possible, but the last two sips were brutal.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

Just picked up a case of Anchor Christmas. Soooooo happy about this.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Trader Joe's Holiday Ale was a supreme find for the weekend. The dark Belgian style ale checks in at 9% and was only $4.99 for a 750ml bottle. Such a switch up from my regular IPA selection of Racer 5 or Anderson Valley's Hop Ottin'. A very full flavored beer with just enough spice to cut through the malt. Nice overall warming feeling after drinking this.

Also had Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale Friday night. If you like brown ales, this is a great beer. For me, too much malt and it tasted too yeasty to have more than one.

JS, was the 2004 in a cellar as it aged, or did you just happen upon such an old beer?
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

Chilling with my sweetie, drinking an Anchor Christmas Ale. It's the very best time of year... :thumb:
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

BadHands71 wrote:Just picked up a case of Anchor Christmas. Soooooo happy about this.
hows the taste? does it compare to other Christmas beers where 1 is plenty or can you drink a few of these in a sitting?
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

eddysnake wrote:
BadHands71 wrote:Just picked up a case of Anchor Christmas. Soooooo happy about this.
hows the taste? does it compare to other Christmas beers where 1 is plenty or can you drink a few of these in a sitting?
it has a relatively low ABV and a pretty light finish to it. you can definitely drink a few
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

shmenguin wrote:
eddysnake wrote:
it has a relatively low ABV and a pretty light finish to it. you can definitely drink a few
Yes. Everything about it is moderate. The body, spice, sweetness and abv make for a beer that you can drink 3 or 4 and still know what is going on around you. This is why it's a Christmas beer I look for year after year.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

give me something that will knock you on your butt after 1 or 2 glasses

enter, st bernardus
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

BadHands71 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
eddysnake wrote:
Yes. Everything about it is moderate. The body, spice, sweetness and abv make for a beer that you can drink 3 or 4 and still know what is going on around you. This is why it's a Christmas beer I look for year after year.
good to hear, while I like the ST and Great Lakes Christmas Ales, by the time I'm done with the 1st bottle, I really don't want another, it's just too much spice
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

BigMcK wrote:JS, was the 2004 in a cellar as it aged, or did you just happen upon such an old beer?
aged it and forgot about it.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

picked up:

Kona Pipeline Porter
Kona Big Wave Golden Ale
Breckenridge Vanilla Porter
Harpoon Winter Warmer
Sam Adams Winter Lager
Ithaca Cold Front

Never had any, looking forward to sampling
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Harpoon Winter Warmer is delicious.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malkinshair »

Had the Dogfish Head Chicory Stout over this past weekend. Very good. I'm still not quite sure what flavor chicory is (nutty, i guess), but the beer was excellent. Big coffee notes. Went perfectly with the 20 minute outside Christmas light setup that took 2 1/2 hours. :face:

Last night I tried the Green Flash Imperial IPA. I've had their West Coast IPA several times, and the Imperial did not disappoint. HUGE hops, though. Very bitter. Lots of grapefruit and pine (I actually commented to my wife that the first couple sips tasted like I accidently dropped a shot of Bombay Sapphire into it). As it mellowed out, it was immensly drinkable for a 9.4%...either that or I was feeling it. :D
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Troy Loney wrote:Harpoon Winter Warmer is delicious.
Ewwwwww

Even if I don't like a certain beer, I can generally appreciate it for what it's worth. Winter Warmer is the only craft beer I have ever had where I took one sip and dumped the rest down the drain. Overspiced grossness.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

shafnutz05 wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:Harpoon Winter Warmer is delicious.
Ewwwwww

Even if I don't like a certain beer, I can generally appreciate it for what it's worth. Winter Warmer is the only craft beer I have ever had where I took one sip and dumped the rest down the drain. Overspiced grossness.
Troy Loney knows Shad hates Winter Warmer, but he does not care.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

I wasn't a big fan of the Winter Warmer either. Troy have you had Flying Fish Grand Cru Winter Reserve. I find it similar to Winter Warmer, but much tastier.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

:lol: the annual winter warmer controversy.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

I really don't care much for the winter warmers either, but every year I still try something different, not real sure why.

I got a gift certificate to a beer distributor where I live and I'm finding it's becoming an extremely difficult choice to pick out a case. I don't really want to waste it on something I would normally get, but makes the decision that much harder.