Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

tifosi77 wrote:I know it's a fairly popular method, but I'd be worried about the mixer blade cutting the gluten strands into tiny fragments and not coming together properly. Also, dough is very thick and wet and can put a ton of strain on the processor's motor... and I've already killed one food processor.
I wouldn't do real bread in a food processor, just for that reason. For pizza or "flat" bread, it's fine. My food processor is stronger than my stand mixer, for some reason.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I just made a chef boyardee instead. Don't judge me.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

columbia wrote:I picked up one of these today:

It's a serious implement.
Want!!!! Just did the first part of the wedding registry today, always fun registering for the good stuff that we really want!
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I'm pretty psyched about living only 5 blocks from this fish market:
http://www.russoseafood.com/about_us.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Making this salmon with a ginger-soy vinaigrette in a few hours:
http://www.aveceric.com/2011/05/11/sear ... naigrette/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

Recently had a burger that was topped with kielbasa, fried egg, hashbrowns and bbq sauce. A heart attack on a bun but worth every bite. It was last meal material.

Spoiler bc of size
Spoiler:
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

OMG. Where did you get that
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

mac5155 wrote:OMG. Where did you get that
Bocktown. It was at the one in Robinson.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I have half a chuck roast in the crockpot cooking for this evening. plan is roast beef sandwiches with cheddar and horseradish sauce. The fiancee and I were at a place this weekend that had it on special and they were out by the time we went to order, so we figured we'd make our own.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Meatloaf.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

[youtube][/youtube]
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

I disagree with Gordon. Too runny for my taste.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

blackjack68 wrote:I disagree with Gordon. Too runny for my taste.
yeah...i hate people that tell you your opinion of the food you eat is wrong. i like my eggs much harder than he prepared in the video. I've tried multiple degrees of done for eggs and i like them to be solid. that's just my personal opinion and i don't see how it could be construed as "wrong".
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

columbia wrote:Making this salmon with a ginger-soy vinaigrette in a few hours:
http://www.aveceric.com/2011/05/11/sear ... naigrette/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's one of my favorite weeknight meals, but I like to use cod.
Spoiler:
Look for the video demonstration of this recipe from the show -- it looks like he uses like 3x the amount of shoyu in the recipe. :shock:
count2infinity wrote:
blackjack68 wrote:I disagree with Gordon. Too runny for my taste.
yeah...i hate people that tell you your opinion of the food you eat is wrong. i like my eggs much harder than he prepared in the video. I've tried multiple degrees of done for eggs and i like them to be solid. that's just my personal opinion and i don't see how it could be construed as "wrong".
Because it is.

:wink:

You like what you like.... even if it destroys the texture and flavor of the product the cook is trying to preserve. :lol:

Honestly, I wouldn't want eggs that runny unless they were pastured and organic. Factory farmed eggs that runny not only taste icky, they're a potential health hazard.

As an aside, those Ramsay videos are pretty good. It's fun seeing him actually cooking and not just yelling at people for cooking poorly.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Post by Godric »

I'm allergic to eggs... but I watched it anyway... and it looked really good :-/
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

i guess it's a snob thing. i don't like the PC vs console gaming debate because really it's a matter of personal choice as to what you like better. I don't like the debate on how to cook eggs because it's a personal choice of what you like better. You say "destroys the texture". What if i don't like the texture? Which is really the case for runny eggs. I just downright had the gooey texture to it. I agree that there are indeed a lot of black and white, right and wrong in cooking, but there are certain things that come down to personal preference and there's a good bit of grey involved.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Post by Godric »

count2infinity wrote:i guess it's a snob thing. i don't like the PC vs console gaming debate because really it's a matter of personal choice as to what you like better. I don't like the debate on how to cook eggs because it's a personal choice of what you like better. You say "destroys the texture". What if i don't like the texture? Which is really the case for runny eggs. I just downright had the gooey texture to it. I agree that there are indeed a lot of black and white, right and wrong in cooking, but there are certain things that come down to personal preference and there's a good bit of grey involved.

What if I don't like the texture of a perfectly cooked steak and prefer it destroyed with it being super overcooked? Same thing, no?

**** that. Its wrong.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

tifosi77 wrote:
As an aside, those Ramsay videos are pretty good. It's fun seeing him actually cooking and not just yelling at people for cooking poorly.
All I could think about that was

HEY MORON YOU BURNT THE TOAST FEEL SHAME HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Godric wrote:
count2infinity wrote:i guess it's a snob thing. i don't like the PC vs console gaming debate because really it's a matter of personal choice as to what you like better. I don't like the debate on how to cook eggs because it's a personal choice of what you like better. You say "destroys the texture". What if i don't like the texture? Which is really the case for runny eggs. I just downright had the gooey texture to it. I agree that there are indeed a lot of black and white, right and wrong in cooking, but there are certain things that come down to personal preference and there's a good bit of grey involved.

What if I don't like the texture of a perfectly cooked steak and prefer it destroyed with it being super overcooked? Same thing, no?

**** that. Its wrong.
I find it snobbish to tell people what they like in food. by right and wrong in food i was talking more procedural things like knife cuts. to tell someone else something doesn't taste good is like telling someone else they're wrong for enjoying country, rap, rock, or whatever their favorite music type is.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Godric »

count2infinity wrote:
Godric wrote:

**** that. Its wrong.
I find it snobbish to tell people what they like in food. by right and wrong in food i was talking more procedural things like knife cuts. to tell someone else something doesn't taste good is like telling someone else they're wrong for enjoying country, rap, rock, or whatever their favorite music type is.
I feel where you are coming from but I just can't be like that whenever I'm grilling steaks. I refuse to ruin them, no matter how anyone claims they like them. I'll make them cook their own :pop:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

It all comes down to personal preference. Period.

But if you like eggs cooked til they have a grainy consistency, then you, sir, don't like eggs.
Godric wrote:What if I don't like the texture of a perfectly cooked steak and prefer it destroyed with it being super overcooked? Same thing, no?
Exactly. That's great that you like well done steak - go forth and be prosperous! Just don't expect me to cook it that way for you, and don't presume to think that you like steak. You aren't tasting meat at that point, there's no inherent flavor of the animal - what it ate, how it lived, where it lived - is completely lost. Same with any overcooked product.

It's all well and good that someone likes eggs cooked til they're rubberized....... but don't think for one moment that you like eggs, or even have any idea what an egg actually tastes like.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I like my scrambled eggs to be very fluffy.
What's the key to getting that?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Pixie dust.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Thanks for the pro-tip. ;)
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

columbia wrote:I like my scrambled eggs to be very fluffy.
What's the key to getting that?
I was also curious as to how to do this....one sight said to beat more air into it.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

mac5155 wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:
All I could think about that was

HEY MORON YOU BURNT THE TOAST FEEL SHAME HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Not enough curse words. And no mention of Donkey.