Things I've learned thanks to this lockout

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Things I've learned thanks to this lockout

Post by RisslingsMissingTeeth »

It isn't all bad, having this time to not watch the NHL but rather take in the other hockey offerings. Here is what I have learned as this lockout rolls on.

1. the KHL is a girls league except even girls occasionally hit each other once in a while so maybe they are one step below. Purses should be mandatory. No wonder so many of their stars disappear over here.
2. The QMJHL has some tremendous puck handlers and amazing shooters. Probably the most skilled junior players I have seen so far.
3. The Williamsport Outlaws of the Federal League are going to play all of their games outside this season.
4. There is such a thing as the Federal League (wasn't that the league the Chiefs were in in Slapshot??)
5. Oklahoma City's current roster would beat the Blue Jackets.

Feel free to add your own.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Things I've learned thanks to this lockout

Post by MRandall25 »

Columbus's minor league affiliate (Springfield) is better than the Blue Jackets. They're something like 7-1-1 on the season.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

because they are doing well in the ahl makes them better than the nhl team?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Rissling, based on your name, you sound old enough to remember the old Soviet teams...it's a different style over there...if you (or anyone) rejects the KHL on its lack of physicality and won't take to the AHL, I'd recommend the SM-Liiga A in Finland...probably the most physical of the KHL, SEL, SM-Liiga group. More straightforward style of play.

Also interesting that the QMJHL - a more offensive, softer league - gets praise while the KHL gets darts...the further west you go, the more physical it gets...

Federal League is an interesting entity certainly. Had former NHLer Pierre Daigenais tearing it apart recently (not sure if he's still in it).

One thing I noticed with Oklahoma City is that they seem to have an inordinate amount of trouble getting the puck out of their zone and holding it in on the left side of the offensive zone...it seems like a disproportionate amount of their defensemen that handle the puck are right-handed...a rare "problem" to have, too many righties at this level...every breakout has to go backwards before it can go forwards it seems, hurts their transition game considerably...at least in the couple games I watched...
Last edited by mikey287 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Obligatory Blue Jackets don't even have a win yet this season.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:because they are doing well in the ahl makes them better than the nhl team?
You would think the AHL affiliate of the worst team in the NHL would also be poor.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I'd think that they'd have good prospects from being bad...depends on the dependence level of the AHL team on its parent club, the comptence of the management at the highest level, and many other factors...
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

mikey287 wrote:Rissling, based on your name, you sound old enough to remember the old Soviet teams...it's a different style over there...if you (or anyone) rejects the KHL on its lack of physicality and won't take to the AHL, I'd recommend the SM-Liiga A in Finland...probably the most physical of the KHL, SEL, SM-Liiga group. More straightforward style of play.

Also interesting that the QMJHL - a more offensive, softer league - gets praise while the KHL gets darts...the further west you go, the more physical it gets...
Interesting input mikey. Going to see if I can catch a SM-Liiga A game at some point. I never realized how much I valued checking and intensity until I watched a dozen KHL games and kept zoning out. They intentionally avoid each other and it ticks you (me) off!

The QMJHL is a junior league with teenagers (holy crap but the goalie for one of the teams pulled his helmet off the other week and he looked 12 years old). I don't expect them to hit each other solidly yet like I would expect adults to do in the KHL. I am being critical of the KHL for a reason. I think it is a soft league. If we end up losing some Russians because of this lock-out, I won't be shedding any tears. Go play in your non-contact league. My over 40 no hit league has 10 times the contact (probably because we are too tired to stop).
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Kaizer »

I learned that if you visit flyers sites, you can still keep the hate alive just by reading.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

I learned that nobody will show AHL or ECHL games in Pittsburgh even during the lockout, even though they are on television in some places.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Rissling, based on your name, you sound old enough to remember the old Soviet teams...it's a different style over there...if you (or anyone) rejects the KHL on its lack of physicality and won't take to the AHL, I'd recommend the SM-Liiga A in Finland...probably the most physical of the KHL, SEL, SM-Liiga group. More straightforward style of play.

Interesting input mikey. Going to see if I can catch a SM-Liiga A game at some point. I never realized how much I valued checking and intensity until I watched a dozen KHL games and kept zoning out. They intentionally avoid each other and it ticks you (me) off!

The QMJHL is a junior league with teenagers (holy crap but the goalie for one of the teams pulled his helmet off the other week and he looked 12 years old). I don't expect them to hit each other solidly yet like I would expect adults to do in the KHL. I am being critical of the KHL for a reason. I think it is a soft league. If we end up losing some Russians because of this lock-out, I won't be shedding any tears. Go play in your non-contact league. My over 40 no hit league has 10 times the contact (probably because we are too tired to stop).
Definitely a softer league. Different strategies brought about by developmental system, different rules, different ice sizes. More solo rushes, but less ability for checking along the boards because you end up X amount of feet (er...meters) away from where you're supposed to be defending. Gap control concerns abound, positional integrity compromised. Game is broken down into one-on-one situations whenever possible because that's the biggest edge a player can get on the "house" - 50/50. When not dealing with superstar talent (the KHL has talent, but not elite talent top-to-bottom), the "extra" ice surface just adds a gutter to the rink. People that think it will add more to scoring aren't thinking about game fundamentals. As evidenced by KHL and SEL, two of the lowest scoring leagues in the world.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

mikey287 wrote: Definitely a softer league. Different strategies brought about by developmental system, different rules, different ice sizes. More solo rushes, but less ability for checking along the boards because you end up X amount of feet (er...meters) away from where you're supposed to be defending. Gap control concerns abound, positional integrity compromised. Game is broken down into one-on-one situations whenever possible because that's the biggest edge a player can get on the "house" - 50/50. When not dealing with superstar talent (the KHL has talent, but not elite talent top-to-bottom), the "extra" ice surface just adds a gutter to the rink. People that think it will add more to scoring aren't thinking about game fundamentals. As evidenced by KHL and SEL, two of the lowest scoring leagues in the world.
You wouldn't believe how much I have thought about this exact thing. Everything you wrote were things I have been thinking about, especially the whole concept of 'would bigger rinks make the NHL better or worse?'. The conclusion I have reached is that the NHL would be better if they would just enforce the rules they have. They don't need any more changes to the game although one rule I would add is if you face wash after a goalie puck freeze you are immediately in the box. I'm done with that aspect of the game. players look like little babies out there face washing all the time.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:
mikey287 wrote: Definitely a softer league. Different strategies brought about by developmental system, different rules, different ice sizes. More solo rushes, but less ability for checking along the boards because you end up X amount of feet (er...meters) away from where you're supposed to be defending. Gap control concerns abound, positional integrity compromised. Game is broken down into one-on-one situations whenever possible because that's the biggest edge a player can get on the "house" - 50/50. When not dealing with superstar talent (the KHL has talent, but not elite talent top-to-bottom), the "extra" ice surface just adds a gutter to the rink. People that think it will add more to scoring aren't thinking about game fundamentals. As evidenced by KHL and SEL, two of the lowest scoring leagues in the world.
You wouldn't believe how much I have thought about this exact thing. Everything you wrote were things I have been thinking about, especially the whole concept of 'would bigger rinks make the NHL better or worse?'. The conclusion I have reached is that the NHL would be better if they would just enforce the rules they have. They don't need any more changes to the game although one rule I would add is if you face wash after a goalie puck freeze you are immediately in the box. I'm done with that aspect of the game. players look like little babies out there face washing all the time.
I'm ok with goalie scrums a little bit, add some snarl. What I would enforce, is the brawl that ensues after a big hit. If it's dirty and you're standing up for a teammate, then I love it. If it's a good, clean check, you don't have to and should not react. It should be a minor, in my opinion. No reason for that. The oft-cited McCreary hit on Gretzky is apt here.

To the rinks. Now, it works the way it does in North America developmentally as well. Meaning, that if you slice off of every team's bottom-six forwards and bottom-pair defensemen and replaced them with European all-stars: meaning players like Kevin Dallman and Kirill Koltsov occupied bluelines, Aleksey Morozov, Pavel Brendl, Sergei Mozyakin, etc. occupied forward spots along with current NHL stars, a big rink would probably be better because there's more room to create. Ignoring the logistics and untold millions lost up-front and over time from such a project. But, if you're going to have cycling offenses and fans that like physicality and the whole deal, adding a gutter to the rink would reduce scoring in my opinion because you're just adding more useless ice that you can't score from. The net didn't get bigger, the area to defend is still the same...as a defender, you want the play against the boards...you want it marginalized...the key to adding more scoring is adding a bigger margin? I should think not.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Was at the Ontario Reign Vs. San Francisco Bulls game last night. Thoughts and observations:

* $44.00 for 4 tickets, 4 chicken sandwiches, waffle fries and a soda.
* Didn't realize how much I missed watching live hockey until being back in a chilled arena with painted ice and professional players. Also the sound of someone being checked into the boards, skates cutting ice, and player's chirping at each other is best experienced in person.
* Not sure why teams in California are in the ECHL.
* Devin Setoguchi, with a NHL contract for the Wild at 2.75 Million plays for the Reign. Kind of wondering what he thinks about playing in front of 4,000 people instead of NHL crowds. He has a wickedly mean and accurate wrist shot. While at the same time, rookie Mario Lamoureux earned himself a hat-trick.
* Beer was $9.75 for a glass of Stella, Shock Top, Blue Moon. Stupid, crazy expensive. No thanks!
* It was really cool to see how many fans had differing Reign jersey's from different charity games.
* Before the final five minutes in the third, it turned to Fist Night, with three fights in a row after each puck drop.
* The NHL is obviously faster and competitive at a much higher level, but I'll be just fine with a season of minor league hockey at reasonable seat prices closer to the glass.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

BigMcK wrote:Was at the Ontario Reign Vs. San Francisco Bulls game last night. Thoughts and observations:

* $44.00 for 4 tickets, 4 chicken sandwiches, waffle fries and a soda.
* Didn't realize how much I missed watching live hockey until being back in a chilled arena with painted ice and professional players. Also the sound of someone being checked into the boards, skates cutting ice, and player's chirping at each other is best experienced in person.
* Not sure why teams in California are in the ECHL.
* Devin Setoguchi, with a NHL contract for the Wild at 2.75 Million plays for the Reign. Kind of wondering what he thinks about playing in front of 4,000 people instead of NHL crowds. He has a wickedly mean and accurate wrist shot. While at the same time, rookie Mario Lamoureux earned himself a hat-trick.
* Beer was $9.75 for a glass of Stella, Shock Top, Blue Moon. Stupid, crazy expensive. No thanks!
* It was really cool to see how many fans had differing Reign jersey's from different charity games.
* Before the final five minutes in the third, it turned to Fist Night, with three fights in a row after each puck drop.
* The NHL is obviously faster and competitive at a much higher level, but I'll be just fine with a season of minor league hockey at reasonable seat prices closer to the glass.
Sometime in the early 2000s, the old WCHL folded and the ECHL brought on a number of new teams. I believe the Alaska (formerly Anchorage) Aces, Bakersfield, Idaho, and Las Vegas were brought on at this time, although I'm thinking there were probably more than those four. Once those teams were brought on, the then-East Coast Hockey League dropped the full name and went by ECHL, with no meaning behind it.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

I learned that I enjoy the extra time 82 times a year plus playoffs. 2.5-3 hours per game. Multiply that.
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by pittsports87 »

The Maple Leafs still managed to lose a game even with the lockout.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Kaizer wrote:I learned that if you visit flyers sites, you can still keep the hate alive just by reading.

The Tea Party* of NHL fandom but without love of country league.

* Not intended to offend anyone's political sensibilities or predilections. Seriously. I just think they squawk a lot. Nevermind... : )
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Bathgate »

The home of the Outlaws:

BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Last night the Orlando Solar Bears danced into town to play the Reign before leaving after a 6 -2 loss.
* Seats 11 rows off of the ice are great with a 2 for 1 deal in place.
* Seats 11 rows off the ice in the corner of the opposing team are even better.
* Seats in that area are not good to sit in if you don't know the game. Two newbies went with us last night and were lost as to what was happening with play, but loved the body checks, sounds of sticks and helmets hitting the glass, and stood up and screamed each time there was a scum.
* A nice hat-trick had the 5,000+ in attendance standing courtesy of Colton Yellow Horn. Dude set himself in perfect position on the side of the net during 2 powerplays and picked his shot with precision. Roofed both, knocking the lid off the cookie jar each time. Generously listed at 5' - 6".
* A game misconduct issued to a player on each team for continuation of fight. The Ref's were trying hard to get them apart after their fight ended until a Reign player joined the fray. Now loose, the fight continued with others joining in. Fight night Part 2.
* Goalie Fight -- did not happen.

The more the NHL is out, the more I am learning about each Reign player.

JS©, thanks for the info as to the ECHL. Kind of a misleading league name.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Ah, yes, Colton Yellow Horn...WHL scorer of note a few years back. Haven't heard that name in a little while. How's Jean-Francois Berube looking? If you've seen him/noticed him, that is...
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by BigMcK »

mikey287 wrote:Ah, yes, Colton Yellow Horn...WHL scorer of note a few years back. Haven't heard that name in a little while. How's Jean-Francois Berube looking? If you've seen him/noticed him, that is...
Last night, he looked solid and full of confidence. The Bears were very effective in the first period with keeping the puck in the Reign zone and he wasn't flopping on the ice or playing himself out of position. In the third, he was flashing the glove after making some great saves. He had a fast glove. Managed the clock once the lead was established by allowing the puck to remain in play before covering it to eat seconds off the clock. First time I noticed him, but for the first time, he looked good.

Colton has himself a nice fan base judging by the chants last night. It was cool to see hats fly over the glass for his H-T. He had another clean break toward the net and instead of shooting for the almost guaranteed goal, passed to a player on his right that couldn't tuck the puck in. Not sure if it is his size, but he looks quick on the ice.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I saw Berube at development camp once upon a time, showed some flashes...but had kind of a Steve Mason feels to him, couldn't get a great read. I have a harder time with pure butterfly goalies because I get a sense if they have "it" - I can't tell them apart really, except if they have notable flaws (lateral movement, glove/blocker issues, rebound control, etc. - hmm, I just summed up why Jean-Sebastien Giguere isn't a starter anymore also in the process)...if Berube challenges more, I think he might be able to step up a fill the void vacated by Jeff Zatkoff in the organization...I seem to recall him sitting back a bit, but he was all under siege when I saw him, so I just don't have a great grip on him due to limited viewings...

Yeah, Colton was an all-star in the WHL for Lethbridge I think and they dealt him as an overager (or right around there) for a nice sum. He can be an annoying little bugger on the ice certainly, but yeah, he's been generously listed on the roster sheets as 5'7", 5'9", etc. - if he's 5'9", then Zdeno Chara is 8'2"...good for him sticking it out in pro hockey...might give me reason to check up on Bear Trapp and Robin Big Snake while I'm at it...
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by BigMcK »

Reported shot totals against were like 16, which is way under actual. Confidence he had for sure. I'll pay more attention next game and let you know.

Colton administered a nice slash that led to the multiple player fight. Being as small as he is, he was left unnoticed on the powerplay and was able to roof both one-timers. He whiffed on the third attempt, but he was still left unchecked. Solid player that moves the puck very well.

Help me with Bear Trapp and Robin Big Snake?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Bear Trapp and Robin Big Snake, along with Yellow Horn, I believe are all of Inuit or First Nation descent that have noteworthy names that stuck with me for some reason...I think both played in the ECHL a bit...Big Snake was a WHLer a little before Yellow Horn I think...haven't heard either name come up in some time...just random musings, don't mind me...