Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

There is a Steelers shirt in the strip that goes "If you ain't a Steelers fan, then you ain't "charcoal". I cringe when I see it, because it basically reads that Steelers fans are "charcoal".
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Shyster wrote:Here’s a timely one: I am peeved by the completely incorrect way many people use yam interchangeably with sweet potato. They are not the same thing. They aren’t even members of the same botanical family. Yams have tough, rough skins and are generally cylindrical in shape. They can grow several feet long and weigh many pounds. Yams are native to Africa and Asia. Sweet potatoes have thin, smooth skins and are usually short with tapered ends. They are native to the Americas. If you’re in the United States and not in a specialty market, you’re probably looking at sweet potatoes, not yams, no matter what the store calls them.
I don't know about you.. but I 'Yam what I Yam' :)
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by LeopardLetang »

just saw a king of queens ep. where jerry stiller was harassing a grocer to find him larger yams. couldn't help thinking of this.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by LeopardLetang »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:There is a Steelers shirt in the strip that goes "If you ain't a Steelers fan, then you ain't "charcoal". I cringe when I see it, because it basically reads that Steelers fans are "charcoal".
haha, that's funny.

also just read you made a king of queens comment in the tv shows thread. odd coincidence that i read it after my comment above
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

At least once every couple of months, my wife sends me on an impossible mission to the store. Tonight it was to find a bag of candy corn, 3 weeks after Halloween.

Wal Mart? no.
CVS? no.
Walgreens? no.
Giant Eagle? no.

She had to find some other way to finish her cute little project. Not a single bag of candy corn left in Beaver County.

I swear she does this on purpose.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Old people. On days like today when productive people who have jobs have the day off to run errands. Old people still go out and clutter places like giant eagle. Your in the way, you have no agenda, everything that your doing at the store today could have been done on the other days when there would be no crowds.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

Oh, man. Troy. lol
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I have some social anxieties around crowds and lines....I always plan around crowds and traffic as much as I can, if I feel like I should be able to make a quick grocery store run on a wednesday morning....there was a definite disturbance to my plan today, it was the preponderance of old people wandering around the market district, there's definitely no shopping agenda, they just get coffee and sit in the cafe area.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

Troy Loney wrote:Old people. On days like today when productive people who have jobs have the day off to run errands. Old people still go out and clutter places like giant eagle. Your in the way, you have no agenda, everything that your doing at the store today could have been done on the other days when there would be no crowds.
Productive people who have jobs worked yesterday.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Troy Loney wrote:I have some social anxieties around crowds and lines....I always plan around crowds and traffic as much as I can, if I feel like I should be able to make a quick grocery store run on a wednesday morning....there was a definite disturbance to my plan today, it was the preponderance of old people wandering around the market district, there's definitely no shopping agenda, they just get coffee and sit in the cafe area.
Truth: he speaks it.

I went to the Giant Eagle down the road from my sister's place this morning, and wouldn't you know the cafe was FULL. Just seems like an odd decision to wander out to a grocery store for a cup or two of Joe, especially on Black Friday. I probably wouldn't have noticed if the group wasn't so damn noisy.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I'm fine with old people crowding up Panera breads, the gym and the grocery store on any other weekday...they should just have some awareness that when it's a holiday, they're in the way.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

I didnt care for the fact that several stations had nothing but Christmas music playing yesterday. Christmas seasons shouldn't begin before the thanksgiving bird is carved.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Post by Tim Thomasen »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
Froggy wrote:Using ezpass in a cash lane. There are open ezpass lanes... Quit gumming up the works for thecash folk
I'll do this if no one is in the cash lane, the EZPass lanes are all to the left and my exit is on the right soon after going through the toll both. Also, I don't understand why everyone doesn't have EZ Pass by now.
My political science teacher at Cal U commutes from Youngstown, OH to Cal every day and doesn't has a EZ Pass. She says she does this to protect union jobs on the Turnpike.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Troy Loney wrote:I'm fine with old people crowding up Panera breads, the gym and the grocery store on any other weekday...they should just have some awareness that when it's a holiday, they're in the way.
Ageism is a very particular type of descrimination. Eventually, if we're lucky, we all get old.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I'm aware, it doesn't change the fact that I don't like old people's daily routine. I've seen a lot of baseless prejudices and generalizations spouted on this board, I atleast feel my claim is based on reality.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

i dont care what race, creed, age, or color somebody is, if you make my time doing a task less efficient, you will be discriminated and discriminated harshly.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

canaan wrote:i dont care what race, creed, age, or color somebody is, if you make my time doing a task less efficient, you will be discriminated and discriminated harshly.
I'm not sure if your echoing my sentiment or just wording it more concisely....either way, thank you.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Don't ever get a disability.

(and as you age and your body breaks down, we ALL get disabilities)

My feeling is that anyone who's made it that far in life deserves my respect and consideration.

Of the Ten best and most respected People I've ever met in my life, probably 8 were octogenarians.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Post by Godric »

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Of the Ten best and most respected People I've ever met in my life, probably 8 were octogenarians.
Hm. Same.

Never thought about it but I'm sure it has to do with the fact that they have a full body of work to look at :pop:
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Mango Salsa »

I get annoyed when a cashier hands me my change with the receipt on the bottom, then the bills with coins on top then I hafta sort thru all that s**t.
Spoiler:
Its not the rational pet peeves thread
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

You know how sometimes you click on a link and it takes you to another page. Then you want to back to the original site but when you hit the back button all it does is reload the page you're on. So you then have to go into the history to get back. I really hate that.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:You know how sometimes you click on a link and it takes you to another page. Then you want to back to the original site but when you hit the back button all it does is reload the page you're on. So you then have to go into the history to get back. I really hate that.
Right click - Open in new Tab
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:You know how sometimes you click on a link and it takes you to another page. Then you want to back to the original site but when you hit the back button all it does is reload the page you're on. So you then have to go into the history to get back. I really hate that.
Or click the scroll wheel/middle key (on laptops)
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Mango Salsa wrote:I get annoyed when a cashier hands me my change with the receipt on the bottom, then the bills with coins on top then I hafta sort thru all that s**t.
Spoiler:
Its not the rational pet peeves thread
Yeah, I mean put the coins on the bottom. Not on top of everything it can slide right off of when my hands are full. Coins on bottom that way I can grab bills, fold them, palm the coins and adjust however I want. Coins on top is an amateur move.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

MRandall25 wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
Or click the scroll wheel/middle key (on laptops)
Either way takes more work than it should