Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Post by columbia »

Half time dinner for the Stillers game:

More salmon tonight (I've been hitting up the Whole Foods which is a five minute drive from my house):

I'm going to bake it and serve it with a fresh dill and yogurt sauce (kind of an abstracted tzatziki...at least that's concept at this early hour).

Roasted asparagus on the side + a bottle of pinot grigio.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

I've been on a salmon kick also. Bought those cedar planks off Woot a few months ago... soak those babies for 1/2 hour and then put it on the grill. Good stuff.

Made some with pumpkin w/ romano ravioli last night. Wasn't sure how I'd like that, but it was good. I could do without the sage, though... too bitter for me.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Asked about this before, but didn't really get any responses... what do yinz usually do for dough when making pizzas? Any good sauce recipes?
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

the wicked child wrote:Asked about this before, but didn't really get any responses... what do yinz usually do for dough when making pizzas? Any good sauce recipes?
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/ ... zza-recipe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

What the hell can I do with the Kale and squash that I'm getting in my local farm produce program? I've tried Kale chips before - nah. I like grilling summer squash, but anything else than that always tastes mushy and bland.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

If you have a juicer, throw the kale into that with a few other things.
(I'm not a fan of it cooked, so no help there.)

Try a soup with the winter squash:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina- ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Post by Godric »

Ben Klingston wrote:What the hell can I do with the Kale and squash that I'm getting in my local farm produce program? I've tried Kale chips before - nah. I like grilling summer squash, but anything else than that always tastes mushy and bland.
I make fried rice with Kale, Cranberries, rasins

:pop:
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

Hmmm, not a big fan of raisins or cranberries. Do you saute the kale with the rice?

Will have to try the squash soup.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

Also, I'm getting apples out the ying yang. Made some bamf homemade apple sauce last week and baked a pie for the first time in my life a few weeks ago that tasted much better than it looked. Gonna do some apples with pork loin this wkd. Any other creative ways to use 'em?
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Ben Klingston wrote:What the hell can I do with the Kale and squash that I'm getting in my local farm produce program? I've tried Kale chips before - nah. I like grilling summer squash, but anything else than that always tastes mushy and bland.
spicy creamed kale...

blanch and shock the kale then follow this:

cook 2-4 rashers of bacon (sliced up), take the bacon out, drain most of the fat. add half of a diced onion, saute til soft and add some garlic, then add the kale and bacon back in, add 2 tbsp of butter, 3/4 cup light whipping cream, 1/4 cup parmesean cheese, then cajun seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper all to taste. we make it all the time and love it.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Last deer roast from last year's doe in the marinade right now. With any luck, I'll restock the freezer tomorrow.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

Not sure why bread and cheese gets such a "peasantry" bad rap. Homemade bread with sharp cheddar cheese is food for the gods.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

I miss having homemade bread. Mancini's is the closest I get to that.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

Mancini's is good stuff. Half the reason I like baking my own bread is for the smell in the house. The way it tastes is a bonus sometimes...
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

BadHands71 wrote:Not sure why bread and cheese gets such a "peasantry" bad rap. Homemade bread with sharp cheddar cheese is food for the gods.
Add new york sharp to that and wow....yummy.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

mac5155 wrote:Last deer roast from last year's doe in the marinade right now. With any luck, I'll restock the freezer tomorrow.
At the risk of sparking frat house jokes.... do you notice a difference between the taste of boy deer vs girl deer?
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

tifosi77 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:Last deer roast from last year's doe in the marinade right now. With any luck, I'll restock the freezer tomorrow.
At the risk of sparking frat house jokes.... do you notice a difference between the taste of boy deer vs girl deer?
I'll add my thoughts - I don't really notice difference between buck and doe, but definitely do in age - an old buck typically tastes much more gamey to me than a young deer.

Also, thanks for the spicey kale recipe above C2i, will definitely try that.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

BadHands71 wrote:Not sure why bread and cheese gets such a "peasantry" bad rap. Homemade bread with sharp cheddar cheese is food for the gods.
:thumb: Fresh bread, extra-sharp cheddar, and pink lady apples. So good.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Ben Klingston wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:
I'll add my thoughts - I don't really notice difference between buck and doe, but definitely do in age - an old buck typically tastes much more gamey to me than a young deer.

Also, thanks for the spicey kale recipe above C2i, will definitely try that.
Agreed. I don't notice a huge difference.. admittedly, its been 2 years since I ate buck :?

Anything over 5 years old though... its very hard to eat. Id estimate this doe at 2.5-3 years. The tenderloin was soooo good from this deer.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Speaking of game foods. Anyone ever cook/eat pheasant? I had some today for the first time. We went out, got 5 birds between the 3 of us. My buddy's dad put some flour on and fried the breast....oooommmmggggg out of this world good. Weren't having much luck with deer and decided to give his old bird dog who is on his death bed one last hurrah. Dunno what it is about those dogs but they find another gear when they're pointing birds.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I have half of a rump roast (about 2 lbs). Anyone have a good italian shredded beef recipe for a crock pot? Love making those sandwiches and it's almost crock pot season
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

mac5155 wrote:rump roast
i smirk every time i see or hear this. im still an immature kid at heart.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

canaan wrote:
mac5155 wrote:rump roast
i smirk every time i see or hear this. im still an immature kid at heart.
it always reminds me of a Newhart episode where they have a dinner party at Larry, Darryl, & Darryl's house, and they serve finger sandwiches as an appetizer. Then, Newhart's wife freaks out and asks to see everyone's fingers to make sure they weren't turned into sandwiches. Then, Larry turns to one of the Darryls, and quips, "What do you think she's gonna do when i bring out the rump roast?"

and before anyone asks... Yes. Everything reminds me of an obscure 80's sitcom reference
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Made some brined fried chicken over the weekend.....it was pretty damn good.

The brine was simple: kosher salt, sauteed onions and garlic and a lot of rosemary sprigs (from the backyard).
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I like Guy, but this review would certainly make me think twice about eating in his restaurants. wow...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/dinin ... .html?_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;