GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by bhaw »

Abita Purple Haze and KBC Pumpkin in the fridge.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Purple Haze :thumbdown:

The aftertaste is brutal.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malkinshair »

Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald is sooo good. Good Lord...it's like drinking a malty campfire. :thumb:

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout...I can't believe that I've never had this before. Very good stout, and it's getting better as it warms up.

I've actually taken one of the EFs out of the fridge to warm it up a bit.

Cold and rainy?!? All I fell is warm and malty :fist:
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Those are two of my favorites. Sam smith oatmeal... The best. I have a couple pints in the fridge as well as four of the Ed Fitzes.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

Just got back from Atlanta. They have some really cool beers in GA.
My winner: Ode to Mercy (Imperial Brown Ale) - very cool coffee-like taste.
http://wildheavencraftbeers.com/our-beers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Eismann wrote:Picked up a Bell's Expedition porter and some Hebrew Nut Brown ale. L'Chaim.
Bell's was the stout, my bad. It was ok; Bell's typical taste profile, which is just not in my wheelhouse.

The Hebrew is very good so far.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Tried East End Nunkin beer today down at the strip in the marketplace. Think of it as a pumpkin beer without pumpkin. VERY surprised at how good it was. Not that I expected it to be bad, but I didn't expect to rate it so highly. I might even put it higher than the pumking that I've been trying to track down everywhere this year. Definitely smoother than the southern tier and the dogfish.

The guy selling it to me mentioned the spices in it (nutmeg, cinnamon, and something else that I'm forgetting) and then mentioned the vanilla set it apart from the other seasonals.

4 six ounce samplers ($1 per glass) and the growler full of nunkin for $20. Had I brought my growler, it would have only been $17.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Church brew works pumpkin stout is on now. It's solid and it is off that they are the only ones I've seen that do the pumpkin as a stout.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

That CBW stout is great. I agree with you. It has always made me wonder why I don't see more pumpkin stouts.

Ho1kB got some bottles of Oude Tart from The Bruery: http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/the-bruery ... rt/115310/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll probably splurge on a bottle because I've really been wanting to try and didn't figure I'd get the chance until I went out west. Bet it'll be $30.

Drank the North Coast Le Merle bottle I got the other night last night. Not as complex as I remembered from having it on draft. Basically slightly peppery yeast flavor dominated from the bottle. As I emerge from the summer, I think I'm liking the fruitier/floral saisons more. I think Goose Island Sofie has become my favorite.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

Finally drank my Pumkings..... very good, but I was not overwhelmed by it.

Saranac Pumpkin Ale is very, very good as well
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

eating lunch on saturday and came across Tröegs Perpetual IPA on tap, never had it before, it was quite tasty. Followed that up with a ST 2XIPA on tap, pretty solid lunch outing!
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

the wicked child wrote:Purple Haze :thumbdown:

I was kinda surprised I liked that one. I'm not one for the flavored beers, but the flavor wasn't overkill to me.

Not saying I could spend an entire afternoon drinking it, but one or two aren't bad.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Is that a roach in his mouth?
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

columbia wrote:Is that a roach in his mouth?
it's a handrolled cigarette 8-)

after spending some time looking at it, it kinda looks photoshopped in.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

JS© wrote:
the wicked child wrote:Purple Haze :thumbdown:

I was kinda surprised I liked that one. I'm not one for the flavored beers, but the flavor wasn't overkill to me.

Not saying I could spend an entire afternoon drinking it, but one or two aren't bad.
I didn't mind the taste itself... It was the aftertaste that got me. It was unpalatable for me.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

it's been a few years since I've had one. Maybe I'll grab one this weekend to see what you're talking about.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

I don't get the aftertaste TWC is talking about. Maybe he had a bad batch?
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

ulf wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:
ulf wrote:What's a good fall beer that has a good chance of being in stock at my distributor? He usually has a good stock of craft stuff but I'm not trying to special order anything. I've had blue moon pumpkin ale, sam adams octoberfest, and great lakes.. Just want to try something new.
Southern Tier Harvest Ale
Went to a place in Boardman called Vintage Estates...had a huge selection there, it was awesome. Looked for Harvest Ale but it wasn't in the cooler.. Got Southern Tier IPA, Thirsty Dog Barktoberfest (the guy at the counter said it was his favorite Octoberfest but I wasn't a huge fan), and Victory Hop Devil. I liked the IPA and Victory beers.
Already went back. I have training in Boardman all week. Got the Kentucky Bourbon Barrel beer after work today. Good stuff. Didn't mind the female from one of our florida offices that came with either.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

Inversion IPA from Deschutes Brewery (OR) was on sale in the local liquor store. So, I used that as the opportunity to see if it can compete with my most favorite dark beer - Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA. It cannot. :) (Inversion is not bad, but it has far less complex taste, and it costs more, at least in MN).
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

i get what twc is saying about purple haze. purple haze used to be one of the better micros when micros werent readily available. now, its just meh with a slight tinge of no thanks.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

ulf wrote:Went to a place in Boardman called Vintage Estates...had a huge selection there, it was awesome. Looked for Harvest Ale but it wasn't in the cooler.. Got Southern Tier IPA, Thirsty Dog Barktoberfest (the guy at the counter said it was his favorite Octoberfest but I wasn't a huge fan), and Victory Hop Devil. I liked the IPA and Victory beers.
VE is a great place. I used to stop in there all the time on the way back from visiting relatives in Youngstown. Unfortunately, those relatives no longer live over there, so I don’t get there very often any more. I could always find a couple of brews at VE that I’d never seen anywhere in Pennsylvania.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

just owned the growler of Nunkin that was mentioned on the last page. Guess that means I have to venture down to the East End place in the strip fo a refill sometime this weekend
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

Troy Loney wrote:Church brew works pumpkin stout is on now. It's solid and it is off that they are the only ones I've seen that do the pumpkin as a stout.
Excellent. Going to there for dinner tonight, definietly looking forward to some good fall brews (with summer weather).
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

That was sunday...so you could potentially be out of luck.