GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by Shyster »

I picked up a full case of the Petrus “Sour Power” samplers. It’s one third each of Petrus Aged Pale, Petrus Oud Bruin, and Monk’s Café Flemish Red. That’s some wonderfully sour beer. The Aged Pale, in particular, is sour to the point that if I don’t drink it with food, it gives me screaming heartburn.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Shyster wrote:I picked up a full case of the Petrus “Sour Power” samplers. It’s one third each of Petrus Aged Pale, Petrus Oud Bruin, and Monk’s Café Flemish Red. That’s some wonderfully sour beer. The Aged Pale, in particular, is sour to the point that if I don’t drink it with food, it gives me screaming heartburn.
My sister's boyfriend told me there is some retail food store around them in college park that sells those samplers for $13. They're prices are all messed up and they don't seem to understand how to price things.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Troy Loney wrote:My sister's boyfriend told me there is some retail food store around them in college park that sells those samplers for $13. They're prices are all messed up and they don't seem to understand how to price things.
Yeah, that isn't right. I wish I paid $52 for that case. It was more like $75.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I've gotten heartburn on a couple of occasions when drinking brown sours.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

yeah, sours have definitely never been my thing
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

Had this at Piper's this weekend....Very Tasty
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I was very impressed with Post Road. I found it to be a good and very drinkable pumpkin ale. I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't like over the top pumpkin flavor.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

What's a good fall beer that has a good chance of being in stock at my distributor? He usually has a good stock of craft stuff but I'm not trying to special order anything. I've had blue moon pumpkin ale, sam adams octoberfest, and great lakes.. Just want to try something new.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

ulf wrote:What's a good fall beer that has a good chance of being in stock at my distributor? He usually has a good stock of craft stuff but I'm not trying to special order anything. I've had blue moon pumpkin ale, sam adams octoberfest, and great lakes.. Just want to try something new.
Southern Tier Harvest Ale
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

So, I learned that ST harvest beer is an ESB, and thus I learned that I like ESB's.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

Awesome thanks. I'll check this weekend.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Troy Loney wrote:So, I learned that ST harvest beer is an ESB, and thus I learned that I like ESB's.
Ditto
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

shafnutz05 wrote:
ulf wrote:What's a good fall beer that has a good chance of being in stock at my distributor? He usually has a good stock of craft stuff but I'm not trying to special order anything. I've had blue moon pumpkin ale, sam adams octoberfest, and great lakes.. Just want to try something new.
that sounds good, I'm heading up to the ST brewery first weekend in November, looking forward to grabbing a few different beers from there. Anyone ever have their 2XMAS beer or Old Man Winter?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Anyone know when Giant Eagle beer areas close?
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Newest Stone collaboration is a Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout. Had a bottle last night and was pleased that the mint is so unnoticeable while the chocolate flavor is pronounced. Heavy bodied stout. Good stuff.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Finally made it to the Shaler Giant Eagle tonight. Wow. They have a very, very impressive selection of beer - I was pretty amazed how nicely stocked it is. I picked up a North Coast Le Merle (Saison), sweet bottle and a very good saison. Will probably grab a Cisco Kreik next time through. I didn't realize it is only 6 minutes from my house. probably as close as the McIntyre Square Giant Eagle which sucks and has no beer. I'm very happy right now.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Kraftster wrote:Finally made it to the Shaler Giant Eagle tonight. Wow. They have a very, very impressive selection of beer - I was pretty amazed how nicely stocked it is. I picked up a North Coast Le Merle (Saison), sweet bottle and a very good saison. Will probably grab a Cisco Kreik next time through. I didn't realize it is only 6 minutes from my house. probably as close as the McIntyre Square Giant Eagle which sucks and has no beer. I'm very happy right now.
Glad you got there and were not disappointed. Make friends with Randy The Beer Guy. I'm sure he'll appreciate your knowledge and taste. I'm about 6 minutes away from there, too, off of Burchfield, closer to Middle Road.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

As Ice Cube would say, today was a good day. Our grocery store chain opened up a beer and wine specialty shop 5 minutes from home. My expectations were tempered. Turns out they've got a better selection than anything else I've seen around here. Picked up some Founders Breakfast Stout, Sixth Glass Quad, and Southern Tier Iniquity, among others. I fear I'm becoming a beer hoarder. Now I just need to decide which beer to drown my sorrows with as I watch the Yanks get swept.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malkinshair »

Wife and I ate at the Hop House again last night...

I had pizza and...

Southern Tier Harvest - really good but wasn't expecting grapefruit :shock: Was kinda strange at first, but the hops and malt come thru just fine.
Nosferatu - So good
Bell's Two Hearted Ale - I think this may have inched its way past Dogfish Head 60 min as my 'go to' IPA. I gonna have to pick up a case or 3.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Sixth Glass Quad is very good. Similar to Three Philosophers.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

At Sharp Edge in town now.

Grimbergen abbey ale. Awesome.

Bornem. Not my thing.

Weltenberg Barock Dunkle. Awesome.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

shafnutz05 wrote:
Went to a place in Boardman called Vintage Estates...had a huge selection there, it was awesome. Looked for Harvest Ale but it wasn't in the cooler.. Got Southern Tier IPA, Thirsty Dog Barktoberfest (the guy at the counter said it was his favorite Octoberfest but I wasn't a huge fan), and Victory Hop Devil. I liked the IPA and Victory beers.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malkinshair »

Cold and rainy outside, so...

Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout
6-pack of Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter

I'll eat a light dinner :wink:
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Picked up a Bell's Expedition porter and some Hebrew Nut Brown ale. L'Chaim.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Visited Triumph Brewing in New Hope, PA today. I got their pumpkin ale which was pretty good.