GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by largegarlic »

I concur with Magic Hat dislike. The #9 is solid beer to have at a place that doesn't have a great selection, but I really haven't enjoyed too much of their other stuff.

Last night I had a Pumking draft (which was good, obviously), a Troegs Dead Reckoning Porter, which weirdly hoppy for a porter, but not bad, and a Brooklyn Sorachi Ace saison. It was my first time having the Sorachi, and I thought it was a pretty solid, if unspectacular saison.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

Re: Magic Hat. Love #9, Circus Boy (hefeweizen) and Single Chair Ale. The only seasonal beer I've tried is Hex. Love it as well.

I had a holiday pack last year. I remember not liking 2 of the 4 in the pack. But I can't remember what they were.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

count2infinity wrote:yeah, we've discussed Belgian strong ales before IIRC, and the Raison d'etre is one of the best i've ever had.
raison d'etre is great. stoudts triple has been my go-to american made belgian ale. but i'm a little tired of its spice. i like these beers a little more straightforward. brother david's triple is good for this. i don't understand why it's only a 78 on beer advocate.

word-wide, st bernardus is the king of belgian ale
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

In regards to Magic Hat:

Love #9, Hex and Elder Betty
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

#9 is way too much apricot for me. Too bad it's become their signature beer, because their original Red Ale was great.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

malkinshair wrote:
eddysnake wrote:Next time your evening takes an unexpected turn like that, could you make a swing by and pick me up?
:D We'll make sure to swing by the tool shed next time :thumb:

Had the Newcastle Werewolf last night...and I'm not a fan. Very strange flavor that I couldn't really place, but not pleasant...especially after the Unearthly. Almost light cherry cough syrup. I had to switch to Blue Light so as not to pass out on my floor. :face:
I've had five of the Werewolf brews over the last week. Each time I drink one I like it less. My first taste was intriguing, but you're right, there's something about it that is off.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Picked up the last case of Penn Oktoberfest at Kunda Beverage in King of Prussia.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

Weihenstephaner Vitus was on sale at my local store for $2.49 a pint. i bought them out.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I just saw that Avery Dugana is on sale that one bottle shop here in town. Might need to go pick up some of that.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Possible topic for discussion: I got in a new issue of All About Beer Magazine. The cover story is on lower-alcohol “session” beers and how there’s a building backlash against beers with high alcohol levels. It covered a number of new microbreweries that are focusing on beers with less than 5% alcohol and in some cases even less than 3%. Sure, imperial IPAs are nice, but do we really want to be functionally drinking two beers at a time with 10% ABV brews? I personally would like to see more tasty, innovative beers with less than 5% ABV.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

i don't know, shyster. i'm drinking a very tasty 7.7% right now
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

I'm sitting here in Milwaukee this week... I'll have a little time tonight to kick back and relax.Anyone familiar with the craft brews in this area?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Shyster wrote:Possible topic for discussion: I got in a new issue of All About Beer Magazine. The cover story is on lower-alcohol “session” beers and how there’s a building backlash against beers with high alcohol levels. It covered a number of new microbreweries that are focusing on beers with less than 5% alcohol and in some cases even less than 3%. Sure, imperial IPAs are nice, but do we really want to be functionally drinking two beers at a time with 10% ABV brews? I personally would like to see more tasty, innovative beers with less than 5% ABV.
You're singing my song, I've been saying *exactly* this for acouple of years now.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

just got rogue dead reckoning porter. looking forward to trying this one. also got the hofbrauhaus oktoberfest. they're chilling as we speak.

EPP: The only microbrew i know in that area is Horny Goat. I'm not a big fan of anything I've had from them though. There is a Rock Bottom in Milwaukee, and I know that every Rock Bottom has its own brewmaster on site and they have the freedom to brew whatever they want as long as they have particular types on tap at all times (one dark, one pale ale, one amber, etc)
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I wouldn't mind at all to see more lower ABV options. High alcohol content is not a selling point for me at all, unless it adds to the flavor profile (for example, I love getting some alcohol smell/burn in a beer like Three Philosophers or Trois Pistoles).
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Picked up the last case of Penn Oktoberfest at Kunda Beverage in King of Prussia.
How is that place? It strikes me as being a bit off the beaten path.

I rarely travel far from Paoli to grab beer, but I can tell you that Exton Beverage is AWESOME.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I had the great lakes octoberfest on draft last weekend....am I wrong in thinking that this beer is nothing like a typical octoberfest? It reminded me more of a christmas beer....very good.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Troy Loney wrote:I had the great lakes octoberfest on draft last weekend....am I wrong in thinking that this beer is nothing like a typical octoberfest? It reminded me more of a christmas beer....very good.
of all the oktoberfests I had this year, it certainly stood out the most, every sip it felt like my mouth got punched with different flavors. Had that last night along with an Anchor Steam Summer beer and Great lakes Conway Irish Ale. The Brooklyn Oktoberfest was my 2nd favorite, it didn't pack as much punch, but was very smooth.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I don't care for that Irish Ale.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Me neither.

I'm drinking a Double Mountain Kolsch tonight.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Shyster wrote:Possible topic for discussion: I got in a new issue of All About Beer Magazine. The cover story is on lower-alcohol “session” beers and how there’s a building backlash against beers with high alcohol levels. It covered a number of new microbreweries that are focusing on beers with less than 5% alcohol and in some cases even less than 3%. Sure, imperial IPAs are nice, but do we really want to be functionally drinking two beers at a time with 10% ABV brews? I personally would like to see more tasty, innovative beers with less than 5% ABV.
You're singing my song, I've been saying *exactly* this for acouple of years now.
Makes business cents on the surface, especially with the more complex beers. Less alcohol generally means you can drink more of it which means you buy more with greater frequency.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Also, I did not realize how impressive the Rt. 8 (Shaler) Giant Eagle is. I still have not gone myself but when my buddy was in town from Portland he stopped by and reported that they had five or six sours and a bunch of other impressive offerings. Talked to the guy there and said he really seemed to know his stuff. Is that your Giant Eagle, Eismann?
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

shafnutz05 wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Picked up the last case of Penn Oktoberfest at Kunda Beverage in King of Prussia.
How is that place? It strikes me as being a bit off the beaten path.

I rarely travel far from Paoli to grab beer, but I can tell you that Exton Beverage is AWESOME.
It's not that great, but it's one of the few places in the Philly area that carries Penn Brewery. They didn't have a big inventory of it though, as other than that case of Oktoberfest all they had was a case of Weizen and 2 cases of Pilsner. They have a big variety of all kinds of beer, but don't keep a large supply of anything. No Iron City, but they had someother Pittsburgh brewed beer that I have never heard of and can't remember the name of. It wasn't East End, Church Brew, Duquense, or PBC.

I also think their prices aren't that great. I paid $34 for the Oktoberfest.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Kraftster wrote:Also, I did not realize how impressive the Rt. 8 (Shaler) Giant Eagle is. I still have not gone myself but when my buddy was in town from Portland he stopped by and reported that they had five or six sours and a bunch of other impressive offerings. Talked to the guy there and said he really seemed to know his stuff. Is that your Giant Eagle, Eismann?
Yep, it is. Love it. The guy is Randy The Beer Guy and he is awesome. Get to know him. He takes care of good customers and gets to know your preferences. He's recommended several good ones for me to try - even held a KBS for me. He gets a really nice rotation of crafts in.

Mrs. Eismann was there last week without me and I texted her to pick up some Old Peculier. She recognized him, started talking to him, then he gave her a Manchester Ale to add to the cart because he knew i've been on that kick recently.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Troy Loney wrote:I had the great lakes octoberfest on draft last weekend....am I wrong in thinking that this beer is nothing like a typical octoberfest? It reminded me more of a christmas beer....very good.
Yeah, I agree. Just picked up a sixer last night, actually. The crispness is balanced up perfectly by the sweet finish. I love it.