Ovie might not come back

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Ovie might not come back

Post by thepittman »

“As to the future, it will depend on what kind of conditions there will be in the NHL with the new CBA,” Ovechkin said. “If our contracts get slashed, I will have to think whether to return there or not. I won’t rule out staying in the KHL, even past this season.”

:D :D :D
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Ovie might not come back

Post by Idoit40fans »

I wish he hadn't sucked the last 2 years, this would have terrified the owners.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

this is the biggest chip the players have. losing a guy who is still perceived as a star is a big deal, and no other star would be this believable.

i think AO is full of hot air, but this quote is a good move.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by JeffDFD »

Idoit40fans wrote:I wish he hadn't sucked the last 2 years, this would have terrified the owners.

I'm glad he sucked from a pens perspective! But yeah, it sounds more like sour grapes than anything. He is full of it...unless there is a significant salary roll back. Isn't he making 10 mil a year in NHL? Subtract taxes and roll it back whatever % ends up happening...compare that to what he can make (I think I read he negotiated 5.7 mil in KHL this year?) in the KHL tax free.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Posturing.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Gaucho wrote:Posturing.
Yup. Not sour grapes at all
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

From a free market perspective, it could benefit the league in the long run, to have someone like Ovie leave for good.
It might shock the NHL into understanding that their job is to ice the best players in the world. The NHL is the only North American sports league (no I'm not counting that US soccer league) that actually has competition for players and something like this could be a positive shock: Cut out the labor BS and get to the business of running a premium sports league.

Having said that, it's posturing.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

If it helps get the season going then I'm all for it.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

I don't think it really matters.

Isn't there a transfer agreement in place between the KHL and NHL now? Unless he would find a loophole like Geno did.... he is bound to his contract by the Caps.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Penspal »

Flapping gums in Russian = Flapping gums in English
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Post by darkstar57 »

Let him stay in the KHL that is where a lazy russian who has all the talent in the world deserves to play. I know we hate on him, but imagine if he had the work ethic of sid or even the new one geno has found. The guy would be a monster and could have potted 70-80 goal a season
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Well he signed with Dynamo this morning.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Considering that the KHL and NHL have an agreement in place to respect each others contracts now, expect Ovie back when the lock out ends. In other words, pure posturing.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

Idoit40fans wrote:I wish he hadn't sucked the last 2 years, this would have terrified the owners.
Not sure why it would scare owners; players a bit past their prime have been heading to the KHL for years at this point. The number of European & Russian born NHL players is shrinking already, while US born players are on a significant rise.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

I wouldn't blame him one bit if he did. You sign a contract to be paid a certain amount. If the league is going to break the contract then eff them. If the owners are going to lock the players out then eff them twice. I hope even Sid goes to the KHL and quotes something like this. Salary rollback is ridiculous and I side with the players 100% on this. Not the players fault that the owners are stupid and cannot balance a simple bank account and small market teams signing players to monster deals only to secretly know that they are going to push for a salary rollback.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Pitt87 wrote:
Not sure why it would scare owners; players a bit past their prime have been heading to the KHL for years at this point. The number of European & Russian born NHL players is shrinking already, while US born players are on a significant rise.
Ovechkin is like 26 or 27
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Pitt87 wrote:
no one even close to ovechkin's relevancy has ever left the NHL. the closest candidates are palffy, radulov, and jagr in his late 30's. different ball park.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

Idoit40fans wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
PLayed on the third line last year. In terms of performance, he is Teemu, not Jaromir.
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Juice »

Pitt87 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
PLayed on the third line last year. In terms of performance, he is Teemu, not Jaromir.
wat
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

He'll be back.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

Pitt87 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
Lol wut.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by shoeshine boy »

Ovi and his family love living the life of rich Americans. he'll come back.