GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by Troy Loney »

eddysnake wrote:finished up my case of Brooklyn Oktoberfest, really liked it, now that I have room in fridge, I'm on a mission for Great Lakes Oktoberfest. how much does a case of that go for?
Great Lakes usually goes for $30-35
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Troy Loney wrote:
eddysnake wrote:finished up my case of Brooklyn Oktoberfest, really liked it, now that I have room in fridge, I'm on a mission for Great Lakes Oktoberfest. how much does a case of that go for?
Great Lakes usually goes for $30-35
Thanks, I just got a 2nd fridge for the basement and I've been stuck with 6 pack prices for so long. It is a welcome change to have something dedicated solely for beer!
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Livin' the life eddy, livin' the life.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malkinshair »

Alright, so...

Often in life, high expectations lead to disappointment...not tonight.
After perusing this thread for a while now (and contributing sporadically), I've become somewhat obsessed with trying a Southern Tier Pumking. The wife and I stopped at a local drinking hole for dinner tonight.

the Hop House on 3 degree road in the North Hills has it on tap.

First one was served with cinnamon and sugar sprinkled in the head. Absolutely delicious.
Second one I asked for without the 'topping'...and I am now on a mission to find this beer. So well done. Strong flavors of pumpkin, all spice, clove...my wife figured out the graham cracker flavor...without being overpowering.

Right now, I can't think of a better 'seasonal' beer...and it's instantly in my top 5. So flippin' good.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Pumking is no joke my friend.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Trying Harpoon's Leviathan Uber-Bock. Anything that says "Heroic malty character" must be my friend.
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by UVM2003 »

Founders tap takeover at Harris' tonight. Nothing too out of the ordinary, but sweet to find the imperial stout way out of season, as well as frangelic mountain brown.

They will be at fatheads on Sunday with KBS and more importantly, CBS. For those that don't know CBS is a coffee and chocolate impy stout aged in bourbon barrels that had also been used to aged maple syrup. Awesome brew...
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

Wife decided she was going to bed and told me that there was entirely too much beer in the fridge, I needed to drink some. So starting off with one of these. She better not whine when I don't get up till noon tomorrow, I bet there are 18 or so beers in there....

Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

LionsHead. Not bad.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

Factorial wrote:LionsHead. Not bad.
Can't beat it for the price $14.99/cs I can only drink it every so often.... Love the puzzles under the cap
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Factorial wrote:LionsHead. Not bad.
Yeah, I've had worse cheap beers.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

Picked up a sixer of Magic Hat Hex Octoberfest, never had it before
ILikeTurtles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ILikeTurtles »

Eismann wrote:Trying Harpoon's Leviathan Uber-Bock. Anything that says "Heroic malty character" must be my friend.
One of my favorite beers, had a few last year and haven't been able to find them since.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

PghSkins... I really like that beer.

I picked up a Blue Moon autumn variety pack. I wanted a pumpkin beer, but I needed to get something for my wife too. The pack has a caramel apple spice beer that apparently "fans" created. Cracked one open... sounds like a lot of flavor, but there isn't much too it. I think they tried to be too conservative with the flavors, not knowing what would happen. What they got was something that doesn't taste like apple, cinnamon, or caramel.

Either that or the red onion from hell that I cut up earlier killed my sense of taste.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

ILikeTurtles wrote:
Eismann wrote:Trying Harpoon's Leviathan Uber-Bock. Anything that says "Heroic malty character" must be my friend.
One of my favorite beers, had a few last year and haven't been able to find them since.
Really good. More coppery color than I expected, but all the malt is there and smooth. Would get again.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

bhaw wrote:PghSkins... I really like that beer.

I picked up a Blue Moon autumn variety pack. I wanted a pumpkin beer, but I needed to get something for my wife too. The pack has a caramel apple spice beer that apparently "fans" created. Cracked one open... sounds like a lot of flavor, but there isn't much too it. I think they tried to be too conservative with the flavors, not knowing what would happen. What they got was something that doesn't taste like apple, cinnamon, or caramel.

Either that or the red onion from hell that I cut up earlier killed my sense of taste.
I really enjoyed the Pumpkin Ale and the other Ale
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

The pale ale?

It came with 4 types:

1. Pumpkin
2. Caramel apple spice
3. Regular Blue Moon
4. Belgian pale ale
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

Yea the Belgian Pale Ale that abd the Pumpkin were my favorites
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Loaf31 wrote:Yea the Belgian Pale Ale that abd the Pumpkin were my favorites
agreed
:fist:
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malkinshair »

bhaw wrote:PghSkins... I really like that beer.

Whoa...my wife came home with the same variety pack this afternoon. :shock:

The pumpkin wasn't bad...I liked it, but not much pumpkin flavor.
The white ale was okay...i've had it before.
The caramel apple was my wife's favorite by far, but i didn't taste the caramel apple.

I actually really liked the belgian-style pale ale...but it tasted much more like a dunkel than a pale ale. Very strong sour cherry flavor. I'd only like 1 or 2, but it was good.

I did try to act 'not disappointed' when she told me she had to choose between the blue moon variety or the dogfish head pumpkin... :face:
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

I didn't have that option, but hopefully your feigned indifference went over well.

When my wife is involved with the beer buying process, it's funny because I have to find something she likes, but she inevitably never drinks any of it.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

Magic Hat Hex is awesome
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Big Pour highlights:

- Meeting Rick Sebak
- Cucumber Wheat Beers is going to be the watermelon beer i think
- The homebrewers again had the best beers. They had the best pumpkin and a spiced harvest beer that was awesome.
- Legume's jalapeno jam was awesome.
- Special tappings. Ommegang and handful of places were doing special tappings for beers they only had limited quantity of.
- Flying dog had like a saison or something that was seasoned with Old Bay. Thought I would hate it, but it wasn't bad.....and I forget everything else.

Thumbs down to Troegs & Weyerbacher for rolling up to the festival with only two beer, and those beers being widely available anyhow. Kudos to places like Sierra, Brooklyn, Flying dog, East End Ommegang for bringing their A-game.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malkinshair »

For the first Steeler's game, we decided to stop at Whole Foods in Wexford to buy good bread for our homemade meatball sammiches. I was not aware that they had a mix-n-match six-pack option. We didn't need the beer, as we have plenty at home already, but...

- a 4-pack of Dogfish Head Punkin Ale
- 1 Troegs Dead Reckoning Porter
- 1 Heavy Seas - Small Craft Warning Uber Pils
- 1 Magic Hat Blind Faith IPA
- 1 Wolaver's IPA
- 1 Flying Dog In-Heat Wheat Hefeweizen
- 1 Stoudts Oktoberfest

I've had the Stoudts, but none of the others. Pretty psyched.

BTW...3 different people came in while we were there (10mins or so) looking for Southern Tier Pumking. The last guy said that he'd been to a distributor that told him he got 10 cases 2 weeks ago, and someone came in that day and bought 8 of them. So, which one of you was it? :pop:
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Where is the beer in the Wexford WF? I don't understand how I missed it when I stopped out there.

I found a Samuel Smith Nut Brown in the back of the fridge today. Samuel does everything right.