GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by jimjom »

Agree about the 120 cost per bottle if you buy a case and project it per unit it's not too cost prohibitive. I've seen a bottle at a bar for as much as $16. I figure I buy a Miller Lite at a sporting event and it runs me about the same as a 120 would per bottle if one were to buy a case.

I've had 120 unaged 3 times in my life, and it's unbelievable. But I can't/wouldn't want to have more than 1 per sitting (or session or whatever beer people call it). The most drinkable of the three IMO is the 90 minute.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

^^But if you have $175 laying around there are better things to spend it on other than a case of beer I agree with that. You can get a case of 60 Minute for around $30-35
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

has anyone ever tried "Curious Traveler Shandy"

dunno if I posted it in here or not. but it's good

Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

No but I wanted to get the Curious Traveler Shandy mustache glass at Ho1KB a few weeks ago but did not.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I'm not sure how I feel about the lemon beers, although that spiced saison from 21st amendment is brewed with lemon grass I think...that was good.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Its not over-the-top lemon-y.

I also noticed, while searching for an image, that their second release is out.

Maybe I'll try that if I can find it.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

i enjoyed Line-in-kugal's (don't feel like looking up the correct spelling) summer shandy on hot days. it's pretty good.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Leinenkugel's is basically Fruity Pebbles in a bottle. Not really a fan of a lot of summer beers.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

count2infinity wrote:i enjoyed Line-in-kugal's (don't feel like looking up the correct spelling) summer shandy on hot days. it's pretty good.
Yeah a friend got this the other day and was good

I've got all my friends hooked on Angry Orchard hard cider.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Troy Loney wrote:I'm not sure how I feel about the lemon beers, although that spiced saison from 21st amendment is brewed with lemon grass I think...that was good.
The Lady of the Woods American wild ale is a lemony sour blonde. Its pretty interesting. They have it at Giant Eagle (in Wexford at least).
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

eddysnake wrote:Just at the beer dist. and noticed they had Penn Marzen and Penn Octoberfest, both same style, same ABV... what's the deal?
I haven't had their Octoberfest in a really long time, so I forget what it tastes like, but the Marzen is damn good.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

count2infinity wrote:i enjoyed Line-in-kugal's (don't feel like looking up the correct spelling) summer shandy on hot days. it's pretty good.
The Summer Shandy is solid. I think I like the Sunset Wheat the best of their beers I've tried.

Honey Wheat is non-descript. The Berry Wheat or whatever tastes like a daiquiri... Not like a beer at all.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

the wicked child wrote: The Summer Shandy is solid. I think I like the Sunset Wheat the best of their beers I've tried.

Honey Wheat is non-descript. The Berry Wheat or whatever tastes like a daiquiri... Not like a beer at all.
Love Summer Shandy and Sunset Wheat.

Berry Wheat tastes like a bad soft drink. Too sweet. Never had the Honey Wheat.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

the wicked child wrote:
eddysnake wrote:Just at the beer dist. and noticed they had Penn Marzen and Penn Octoberfest, both same style, same ABV... what's the deal?
I haven't had their Octoberfest in a really long time, so I forget what it tastes like, but the Marzen is damn good.
I like the Marzen as well, picked up a case. I'm looking for a good Octoberfest that isn't outrageously priced. Never tried the Great Lakes octoberfest, anyone have any suggestions?
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

can't stand the sunset wheat. frutty pebbles is all i taste.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Eismann wrote:Picked up a few Manchester Star Ales from Jiggle today, on the suggestion of RTBG. Plus some stand-by Old Peculier. Gonna be a good grilling day.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/178/22571
Fyi for you porter fans: Manchester Star Ale is excellent. Smoov taste and feel, rich without heavy.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Abita Purple Haze. Blah. Starts out w a fairly standard raspberry lager taste.. And then the aftertaste hits. Blah. I'm not sure what the aftertaste is, but it makes it completely undrinkable for me.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Anyone ever have Brooklyn oktoberfest?
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malkinshair »

The wife picked up the Sam Adam's harvest collection.

The Dunkelweizen is interestingly good...fairly strong banana flavor. I wasn't sure how I felt about it at first taste, but I think I like it.

The Latitude 48 IPA is kinda funny after drinking Victory Hop Wallop, Southern Tier 2XIPA, and Flying Dog Wildeman recently...and not in a good way.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I'll say again, Great Lakes Oktoberfest beer is the best one I've ever had. Just an incredibly balanced marzen.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

malkinshair wrote:The wife picked up the Sam Adam's harvest collection.

The Dunkelweizen is interestingly good...fairly strong banana flavor. I wasn't sure how I felt about it at first taste, but I think I like it.

The Latitude 48 IPA is kinda funny after drinking Victory Hop Wallop, Southern Tier 2XIPA, and Flying Dog Wildeman recently...and not in a good way.
the hazel brown was my favorite of that set
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

shafnutz05 wrote:I'll say again, Great Lakes Oktoberfest beer is the best one I've ever had. Just an incredibly balanced marzen.
been trying to pick up a case, no luck. I see it's ranked #5 for that style on beer advocate. That's my favorite brewery so I can't see how it would be bad (at least in my eyes). I did pick up a case of Brooklyn Oktoberfest last night and it is good and I will drink it and I will enjoy it.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

eddysnake wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:I'll say again, Great Lakes Oktoberfest beer is the best one I've ever had. Just an incredibly balanced marzen.
been trying to pick up a case, no luck. I see it's ranked #5 for that style on beer advocate. That's my favorite brewery so I can't see how it would be bad (at least in my eyes). I did pick up a case of Brooklyn Oktoberfest last night and it is good and I will drink it and I will enjoy it.
I will say, Southern Tier's Oktoberfest is also decent.

But yeah, Great Lakes just makes incredible beer. Their Eliot Ness, Edmund Fitzgerald, and Dortmunder Gold are all fantastic.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

shafnutz05 wrote:
eddysnake wrote:
I will say, Southern Tier's Oktoberfest is also decent.

But yeah, Great Lakes just makes incredible beer. Their Eliot Ness, Edmund Fitzgerald, and Dortmunder Gold are all fantastic.
I couldn't find Southern Tiers either. Those are the 2 I most want to try. Great Lakes Edmund Fitz is probably the best porter I've ever had. Their Nosferatu (American Strong Ale) is awesome, I usually get out of hand with that though. Blackout Stout is also a fantastic choice. Conways Irish ale is good too. Maybe I should just say, their Commodore Perry is the only one I wasn't thrilled with.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Edmund Fitz is really good. I think the Anchor porter is my favorite porter. Nosferatu is too hoppy for me, but I imagine its awesome for hopheads.