GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by largegarlic »

Kraftster wrote:21 hour day yesterday to cap off a 70 hour (five day) work week. The wife had a little care package delivered from Ho1KB this morning (ordered over the phone and had sister in law bring it down). 4 Pumkings and 2 Supplications. Looking forward to this evening :thumb:
Right when I got home from there yesterday afternoon, I checked Facebook and saw their post saying Pumking is in. Too bad I didn't look before I went...I would have been sure to grab some when I was there.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malkinshair »

The wife and I ate at the Hop House (in the North Hills) on Thursday. Kind of a dive, and you're allowed to smoke in there, but they have great wood-fired pizza, and a pretty good selection of beers on tap.

Ordered a Spaten Oktoberfest, but I'm 99% sure that's not what I got. The beer I got was a caramel brown, and had a fruity (apricot?) finish. It was good, but not an oktoberfest beer. I drank it fast to get it out of the way.

Switched to a Southern Tier 2XIPA. Good stuff. Super hoppy...and strong. Very good with pizza. The name had '2X' in it, so I had 2. :thumb:

Finished up with a Victory Hop Wallop.

Wife drove home. :fist:
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

largegarlic wrote:
Kraftster wrote:21 hour day yesterday to cap off a 70 hour (five day) work week. The wife had a little care package delivered from Ho1KB this morning (ordered over the phone and had sister in law bring it down). 4 Pumkings and 2 Supplications. Looking forward to this evening :thumb:
Right when I got home from there yesterday afternoon, I checked Facebook and saw their post saying Pumking is in. Too bad I didn't look before I went...I would have been sure to grab some when I was there.
$9 too. That's definitely the cheapest I've ever seen it in PA.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Picked up a few Manchester Star Ales from Jiggle today, on the suggestion of RTBG. Plus some stand-by Old Peculier. Gonna be a good grilling day.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/178/22571
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Had a lot of good stuff on draft yesterday afternoon in the southside. Pumking, Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin, 21st Amendment spiced saison and the watermelon (the watermelon beer is awesome on draft, not so much canned). And Sierra Nevada Tumbler (i think it was called), a seasonal brown ale that was very good.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Who had Pumking on draft? Not usually a fan of pumpkin beer but Southern Tier and Dogfish are the only two that seem to know that you don't need to overdo the pumpkin.

I've also noticed the difference between the canned watermelon beer and the draft. Draft was great, like something I could drink all day. Tried the can during a sampling and something wasn't right. The can had some sort of bitter taste going on.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

JS© wrote:Who had Pumking on draft? Not usually a fan of pumpkin beer but Southern Tier and Dogfish are the only two that seem to know that you don't need to overdo the pumpkin.

I've also noticed the difference between the canned watermelon beer and the draft. Draft was great, like something I could drink all day. Tried the can during a sampling and something wasn't right. The can had some sort of bitter taste going on.

Smokin' Joes. All that stuff was from there except the Sierra, had that at Library. It's pretty funny that smokin joes basically has the same amount of beer that Fat Heads has, yet yesterday afternoon there was a line to get in to Fat Heads and not a soul at Smokin Joes.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I had Pumpking and Creme Brulee Stout last night on draft (both Southern Teir). If you're going to drink the latter, do it with or for dessert. I forgot how much it tastes and smells exactly like creme brulee. The bartender I had actually took my glass when I was done with it and sniffed it all she said was "mmmmmm". I asked if I could try a 50/50 mix of the two just as a sample. I'm thinking Pumpkin Creme Brulee? Sounds good to me! It wasn't. They're best separate.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

count2infinity wrote:I had Pumking and Creme Brulee Stout last night on draft (both Southern Teir). If you're going to drink the latter, do it with or for dessert. I forgot how much it tastes and smells exactly like creme brulee. The bartender I had actually took my glass when I was done with it and sniffed it all she said was "mmmmmm". I asked if I could try a 50/50 mix of the two just as a sample. I'm thinking Pumpkin Creme Brulee? Sounds good to me! It wasn't. They're best separate.
1. Fixt.
2. Agree on Creme Broulee, that beer is intense.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

my bad.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Troy Loney wrote:
JS© wrote:Who had Pumking on draft? Not usually a fan of pumpkin beer but Southern Tier and Dogfish are the only two that seem to know that you don't need to overdo the pumpkin.

Smokin' Joes. All that stuff was from there except the Sierra, had that at Library. It's pretty funny that smokin joes basically has the same amount of beer that Fat Heads has, yet yesterday afternoon there was a line to get in to Fat Heads and not a soul at Smokin Joes.
Both of those were at Smokin' Joes? Nice. One stop shopping.

Every time I've been in there, they never seem that busy until about 8-9pm. Maybe I'll stop in later today to grab food and have a beer or three.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

I've now tried two of the Ommegang's - Three Philosophers and Abbey Ale. Really liked both. Any other recs for beers that are in the same taste profile?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

at a wedding over the weekend in the middle of the Adirondack forest in NY, had Harpoon Summer (good), 312 urban wheat (good), sierra Nevada summerfest (good), UFO Pumpkin (not bad), sierra neveda porter (good), blarney flats oatmeal stout (good), Southern Tier Porter (good), Saranac Adirondack Lager (good), Saranac Black & Tan (good), Saranac White IPA (not good), Saranac Rye IPA (good), Atwater Vanilla Java Porter (not bad), Bullfrog Edgar IPA (good), PBR (good), Mama's Little Yella Pils (good), Anchor Summer Beer (good), there's more, but my brain hurts...
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

eddysnake wrote:at a wedding over the weekend in the middle of the Adirondack forest in NY, had Harpoon Summer (good), 312 urban wheat (good), sierra Nevada summerfest (good), UFO Pumpkin (not bad), sierra neveda porter (good), blarney flats oatmeal stout (good), Southern Tier Porter (good), Saranac Adirondack Lager (good), Saranac Black & Tan (good), Saranac White IPA (not good), Saranac Rye IPA (good), Atwater Vanilla Java Porter (not bad), Bullfrog Edgar IPA (good), PBR (good), Mama's Little Yella Pils (good), Anchor Summer Beer (good), there's more, but my brain hurts...
one of these beers is not like the others.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Anyone know a place to get Chimay Blue?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

canaan wrote:
eddysnake wrote:at a wedding over the weekend in the middle of the Adirondack forest in NY, had Harpoon Summer (good), 312 urban wheat (good), sierra Nevada summerfest (good), UFO Pumpkin (not bad), sierra neveda porter (good), blarney flats oatmeal stout (good), Southern Tier Porter (good), Saranac Adirondack Lager (good), Saranac Black & Tan (good), Saranac White IPA (not good), Saranac Rye IPA (good), Atwater Vanilla Java Porter (not bad), Bullfrog Edgar IPA (good), PBR (good), Mama's Little Yella Pils (good), Anchor Summer Beer (good), there's more, but my brain hurts...
one of these beers is not like the others.
Could be either pbr or blarney flats oatmeal.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

Beer and Pop for Less in Bridgeville has a case of Dogfish 120. Could be yours for the low price of $174.
ILikeTurtles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ILikeTurtles »

jimjom wrote:Beer and Pop for Less in Bridgeville has a case of Dogfish 120. Could be yours for the low price of $174.
That is so worth it.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

FInally getting to that Petrus Pale Ale. Too sour. The Flemish Sour and the Dark Sour are way more drinkable.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

ILikeTurtles wrote:
jimjom wrote:Beer and Pop for Less in Bridgeville has a case of Dogfish 120. Could be yours for the low price of $174.
That is so worth it.
I saw a case of it at Duffy's for $175
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

about 7.25 a bottle isn't bad. Most bottle shops sell it by the bottle at $10 a pop.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I always thought the 120 minute was way overrated/overpriced, primarily because of its limited availability. Sure, it's a good-tasting beer, but in a side-by-side comparison I actually preferred both the 60 and 90 minute varieties.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

90 min is my favorite of the three by a long shot. 60 is in 2nd and 120 is only good every once in a while. I've got a couple bottles of 120 min aging. I've never tried aged beer before, but I'd like to see what it does with time.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

ILikeTurtles wrote:
That is so worth it.
I saw a case of it at Duffy's for $175
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Just at the beer dist. and noticed they had Penn Marzen and Penn Octoberfest, both same style, same ABV... what's the deal?