AHL schedule is stupid

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

AHL schedule is stupid

Post by DelPen »

So another year and another schedule that has no inter-conference play. So being in Charlotte they don;t play WBS at all. Brilliant marketing move AHL, simply brilliant.

Need to let the Checkers know that I won't be buying any ticket packages again. Sorry guys, but get some teams I want to see like WBS, Hershey or other affiliates of NHL teams I care about.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: AHL schedule is stupid

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

My thoughts exactly. I can't believe that they don't play every team in the league at least once.

Bojangles Arena is only 90 minutes from my house and I was looking forward to taking my sons there for a fraction of the cost of a (mid week, this season) trip to Raleigh.

Bah, it's all firstworldproblems anyway. But still aggravating.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Minor league hockey can be tough to sustain thanks to escalated travel costs. It's an unfortunate situation. The need for schedule uniformity prevents "exceptions" to be made even where it could make some fiscal "sense" unfortunately.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Digitalgypsy66, they moved to Time Warner Arena a few years ago, might be even easier to get to now?

As far as the travel argument, you treat one half the lauge nice and the other bad. Look at this map:

Charlotte is in the same DIVISION with the teams near Texas. Norfolk and St. John's are the only teams in the East that's kind of out of their tiny little group making a box from Herhsey to Syracuse to Portland to Hartford.
malibumike

Post by malibumike »

What's weird is that Norfolk's home opener last year was against Charlotte. If they're not going to have cross-conference play, why not be consistent?
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

The ECHL schedule outdoes itself year after year in stupidity. And they always play the travel cost card too. Yet this year the Nailers play their closest rival (cincinnati) I think something like 4 times, but play teams that they actually have to pass Cincinatti to get too more than twice that amount. This was also a league that had Trenton, NJ and Alaska in the same conference for a season.