GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by Troy Loney »

Just got back to Pittsburgh from Chicago, and while I only got a small Chicago experience in Lincoln park. I'd say Pittsburgh has a better craft beer culture. That said, can't wait to drink fancy beers again.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Troy Loney wrote:Just got back to Pittsburgh from Chicago, and while I only got a small Chicago experience in Lincoln park. I'd say Pittsburgh has a better craft beer culture. That said, can't wait to drink fancy beers again.

If you had gone here, you could have gotten a can of Iron City:
http://www.darkhorsechicago.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

columbia wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:Just got back to Pittsburgh from Chicago, and while I only got a small Chicago experience in Lincoln park. I'd say Pittsburgh has a better craft beer culture. That said, can't wait to drink fancy beers again.

If you had gone here, you could have gotten a can of Iron City:
http://www.darkhorsechicago.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My friend got an Iron City at a place called durkens. I refuse to drink Iron City.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Picked up a 1/2 dozen 24oz cans of Big Hurt (Former MLB player Frank Thomas is connected to the brewery, hence the name) in Vegas a few weeks back for $1.50 each along with a few bombers from Tenaya Creek. Tried a can of Big Hurt last Saturday night and had to pour it out after a few tastes. This beer ranks in the Top 5 worst beers I have ever had. Malt liquor is not a friend.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I am shocked and appalled that Frank Thomas would associate with a below average 40 oz brand.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Whoa. When I finally get my basement all set up with my beer bottle display shelf, I must procure a can of Big Hurt.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Kraftster wrote:Whoa. When I finally get my basement all set up with my beer bottle display shelf, I must procure a can of Big Hurt.
I'll send you one in trade.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Speaking of Iron City, they shockingly had the shortest line at the brewfest. From what I could tell, it seemed like they were just trying to pimp their fruity beers. Straub was right next to them and also seemed to have no one in line.

All I can figure is that those breweries saw it as an opportunity to get some people who normally wouldn't try those beers to do so... But it's really not the right crowd.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

BigMcK wrote:
Kraftster wrote:Whoa. When I finally get my basement all set up with my beer bottle display shelf, I must procure a can of Big Hurt.
I'll send you one in trade.
Definitely. I want to swing by Ho1KB and pick up one of these (just got some in) just for the bottle:

eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

the wicked child wrote:Speaking of Iron City... it seemed like they were just trying to pimp their fruity beers.
those things are terrible, they were handing out 24 oz samples at the foggy goggle in 7 springs during the mud mt thing, I didn't realize what I grabbed and threw up a little in my mouth and the can and handed it back to them.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

bought a case of Magic Hat Blind Faith IPA--its okay, nothing incredible. it'll get cha drunk in a hurry, though.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

The Pepsi challenge is on.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

haha... did you blow through that growler of weihenstephaner and decide to drink fruity hefes?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Well, I had to drink the growler not too long after I got it... and it was already less carbonated than I would have liked. I have picked up both of these beers since then and decided to do a heads up death battle. Well, not really, but BEER.

Harpoon is in the lead ATM, btw.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Okay, so Harpoon is the clear winner for me. Their beer has a much more prominent berry flavor with the wheat coming in more in the aftermath. However, it is not overpowering by any means and is thus extremely refreshing and tasty.

By contrast, the Summer Berry leans more toward the wheat flavor with a hint of berry. This leads to a less refreshing experience as I find myself wishing that it either had more berry flavor or none at all since their Weizen is so damn good on its own.

They are priced similar iirc, or withing a buck or two at any rate. Harpoon will be getting my summer berry wheat $$ in the future.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

it sounds like i would like the summer berry more
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by UVM2003 »

Sampling this tonight:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/63/80911" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Got it in a trade - blend of Desuchetes Dissident (sour brown), and Stoic (barrel aged quad), and Hair of the Dog Adam and Fred (old ales). Really excited.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Froggy wrote:it sounds like i would like the summer berry more
Possibly. I've personally found that I prefer fruity wheats to not be shy about the fruit they are incorporating... otherwise they tend to end up in somewhat of a no man's land. By that same token, it's possible to go too far and end up tasting like a daiquiri... Leinenkugel Berry Wheat would fall into that category.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Man, I love Hop Devil
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Maybe I haven't explored the fruit/wheat beers enough, but Sam Adams Cherry Wheat tastes like cough syrup.
I'd rather drink actual Robitussin.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

columbia wrote:Maybe I haven't explored the fruit/wheat beers enough, but Sam Adams Cherry Wheat tastes like cough syrup.
I'd rather drink actual Robitussin.
Unibrou Ephemere is excellent.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I wouldn't exactly put Cherry Wheat in the upper echelon of fruit beers. They can be hit or miss for sure... it's hard to find one w the right balance of fruit and beer... they tend to go too far in either direction more often than not.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

I had Rogue's Dead Guy Ale last night for the first time, and it was pretty good. I'll put it in the category of beers that have a distinct hoppiness, but are still smooth enough that I enjoy drinking them.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

my local store FINALLY started carrying Franziskaner. still not nearly as good as Weihenstephaner, but it's available in a 6 pack instaid of as individual pints, so that's better for my budget.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

largegarlic wrote:I had Rogue's Dead Guy Ale last night for the first time, and it was pretty good. I'll put it in the category of beers that have a distinct hoppiness, but are still smooth enough that I enjoy drinking them.
I love Rogue's Dead Guy Ale. Definitely one of my favorites.