Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Post by viva la ben »

What happens if the NCAA digs deeper and uncovers more damning evidence?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

viva la ben wrote:What happens if the NCAA digs deeper and uncovers more damning evidence?
I can't imagine anything worse than what has been reported.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Not necessarily worse, but more widespread coverup. From the article the point man on the lawsuit is a trustee recently elected by the alumni. It sure looks like grandstanding and pandering in an attempt to win support.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

...make...it...stop...
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I highly doubt there's much more deeper in that will be uncovered in the future. I think the majority of those associated with PSU would rather just take the punishments and move on.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Is the NCAA responsible for making sure that the full Board of Trustees had knowledge of the negotiations? Or does that fall on Erickson?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

MWB wrote:Is the NCAA responsible for making sure that the full Board of Trustees had knowledge of the negotiations? Or does that fall on Erickson?
I'd think Erickson, but the article on ESPN makes it clear Emmert told Erickson to keep as many people as possible out of the loop.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Rocco wrote:
MWB wrote:Is the NCAA responsible for making sure that the full Board of Trustees had knowledge of the negotiations? Or does that fall on Erickson?
I'd think Erickson, but the article on ESPN makes it clear Emmert told Erickson to keep as many people as possible out of the loop.
True enough. It just seems that the BoT has been quite divided from the start. One group said they'd accepts the Freh report, even though it was never formally accepted by them. One group seems to be okay with what Erickson did, and another is going to sue the NCAA. Seems to indicate poor leadership, and it was Erickson who ultimately decided to share so little with the BoT, beyond a select few.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Suing the NCAA seems like a fantastic PR move.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

The BOT is too large and diverse to operate effectively IMO. Some members are appointed by the state and others are elected by the alumni. It was poor leadership by the board that got Penn St in this mess to begin with so I am not surprised that trend is continuing.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

seems like PSU is unwilling to let this die and blow over. Which would probably be best for them. Funny how it's going though, football is too important to hurt, isn't that how we got here in the first place?
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

ulf wrote:seems like PSU is unwilling to let this die and blow over. Which would probably be best for them. Funny how it's going though, football is too important to hurt, isn't that how we got here in the first place?
Seems like it's just a small segment that doesn't want to just move on.

How many people are on the Board?
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

MWB wrote:
ulf wrote:seems like PSU is unwilling to let this die and blow over. Which would probably be best for them. Funny how it's going though, football is too important to hurt, isn't that how we got here in the first place?
Seems like it's just a small segment that doesn't want to just move on.

How many people are on the Board?
I think if enough people in State College really hated this move, it wouldn't have happened. Or maybe it still won't, I suppose it isn't official yet.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

ulf wrote: I think if enough people in State College really hated this move, it wouldn't have happened. Or maybe it still won't, I suppose it isn't official yet.
I think the board wants to put in their two cents. It certainly is not what most here (everyone i've talked to thus far) want. Most just want to take the punishments and move on from there.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

There are 32 members of the BOT. Only 9 are elected by the alumni. The rest are appointed through various means.

http://www.psu.edu/trustees/selection.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Quick question, and if someone has the answer, thanks. Now let it be known that I've never thought highly of Freeh, long before this whole saga (Richard Jewell, Waco, etc). Why did Freeh decline to interview the central players in all of this? As in Paterno, Curley, Schultz, Spanier, etc.

I just don't understand how he was able to complete an entire report without interviewing the four primary targets. I've heard that Paterno even wanted to go on the record.

Again, if someone has the answer, please tell me and clear me up here.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

Rocco wrote:
I think it's a bad move, but if procedure was followed in the first place, none of this would be happening.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

shafnutz05 wrote:Quick question, and if someone has the answer, thanks. Now let it be known that I've never thought highly of Freeh, long before this whole saga (Richard Jewell, Waco, etc). Why did Freeh decline to interview the central players in all of this? As in Paterno, Curley, Schultz, Spanier, etc.

I just don't understand how he was able to complete an entire report without interviewing the four primary targets. I've heard that Paterno even wanted to go on the record.

Again, if someone has the answer, please tell me and clear me up here.
The ones under investigation or charged have been advised by lawyers not to speak. I'm guessing Paterno's health is part of why he wasn't interviewed.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

pfim wrote:
Rocco wrote:
I think it's a bad move, but if procedure was followed in the first place, none of this would be happening.
Had Emmert followed procedure, he wouldn't have gotten the result he wanted and he wouldn't be able to beat his chest and grandstand for PR purposes and he just couldn't have that.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

Rocco wrote:
Had Emmert followed procedure, he wouldn't have gotten the result he wanted and he wouldn't be able to beat his chest and grandstand for PR purposes and he just couldn't have that.
I wasn't even going that far back. Just talking about Erickson and the BoT.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

pfim wrote:
Rocco wrote:
I wasn't even going that far back. Just talking about Erickson and the BoT.
Oh. Yeah, that too, though when the NCAA says, "if you talk about this too much, we're backing off the deal", you're basically inviting Erickson to not invite the board and fall on the grenade (which is what he did).
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

To be fair, he didn't want it leaked. Emmert didn't tell Erickson to keep it from the BoT, he just said make sure it's not leaked. Erickson made the decision that he couldn't trust the BoT not to leak it.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

MWB wrote:To be fair, he didn't want it leaked. Emmert didn't tell Erickson to keep it from the BoT, he just said make sure it's not leaked. Erickson made the decision that he couldn't trust the BoT not to leak it.
Then he's an idiot, because I think it's pretty obvious that not everyone was ok with this and he's given this guy the avenue to pursue a lawsuit.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I guess the BoT's stance is that he didn't have the authority to accept the punishment without the board's approval... it's just a power struggle really.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

This is still true.