Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Post by tifosi77 »

count2infinity wrote:One of my bestfriends from high school married a nephew of the owner of the Family Clothesline. For those that don't know, it's a large clothing store downtown. On the way to dinner last night we walked past the shop and saw them in there so we ran in to say hi. There was a shirt that caught my eye in passing. It said, "We are... Pissed off." I talked to the nephew of the owner about it and he said that the shirt was causing a lot of controversy. Apparently it was on the shelf before the Freeh report was released and before the NCAA handed down the punishments. The intent was that as a community, the Penn Staters are pissed that those in power allowed something like this to occur (i.e. pissed at Sandusky, Curley, Schultz, Spanier and Paterno), but it has been taken by some that they're pissed about the punishment that has been handed down and the JoePa statue being taken down. I just found it interesting.
Quality operation, I order a fresh batch of t-shirts and sweats from them every couple years.

Here's the shirt in question.
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pensfan1989 »

http://onwardstate.com/2012/08/03/pater ... inst-ncaa/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:face:
SirMario66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by SirMario66 »

The comments under that story are unbelievable. PSU fans attitude may be the worst thing I've ever seen...
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

I never liked Jay Paterno even before all this. Did he have that smug ass look surgically applied to his face?
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Pretty thurough article on the interactions between NCAA and PSU leading up to the sanctions:

http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyId=8228641" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

SirMario66 wrote:
The comments under that story are unbelievable. PSU fans attitude may be the worst thing I've ever seen...
Yeah pretty gross.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

so as a current PSU student, what should I do to help the situation? I didn't know any of this was occurring, I didn't partake in the illegal activities, I don't go to the football games anyways (just like a large number of students that are here). I really think the only thing to do is keep on keeping on. Continue the good research that the PSU chemistry and physics department do every year. Keep enjoying my time here in State College. Or am I approaching it incorrectly?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

MWB wrote:Pretty thurough article on the interactions between NCAA and PSU leading up to the sanctions:

http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyId=8228641" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What's still not clear is how Emmert and the NCAA were going to shut down PSU for 4 years. They're saying they would have but just about everything seems to suggest they'd have faced legal problems if they did it by executive committee fiat and jurisdictional problems if they went through the COI. It's also both shady and amusing that the webpage saying that you had to be a repeat violator to get the death penalty disappeared.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... -sanctions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"However, the bylaws apply only in the case of a formal investigation."

Am I the only one amused by the fact that the bylaws don't apply in a case where the NCAA action was based solely on the bylaws?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Pavel Bure wrote:
SirMario66 wrote:
Yeah pretty gross.
Those are the brain washed people being referred to. There have been a couple in the thread who follow that path.

Yeah, way to go Paterno family.

Curious... have the Paternos donated any money since all this happened to all the causes PSU fans talk about being part of to help child abuse victims? That whole family keeps coming off as bigger and bigger scum. Joe raised some a-holes.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

count2infinity wrote:so as a current PSU student, what should I do to help the situation? I didn't know any of this was occurring, I didn't partake in the illegal activities, I don't go to the football games anyways (just like a large number of students that are here). I really think the only thing to do is keep on keeping on. Continue the good research that the PSU chemistry and physics department do every year. Keep enjoying my time here in State College. Or am I approaching it incorrectly?
Well I would assume you keep on like normal and be a normal human being. I'm sure you will get questions about it for the next 10 years from people you know, employers, strangers, etc.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

count2infinity wrote:so as a current PSU student, what should I do to help the situation? I didn't know any of this was occurring, I didn't partake in the illegal activities, I don't go to the football games anyways (just like a large number of students that are here). I really think the only thing to do is keep on keeping on. Continue the good research that the PSU chemistry and physics department do every year. Keep enjoying my time here in State College. Or am I approaching it incorrectly?
Keep on keeping on.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

SirMario66 wrote:
You obviously haven't read any comments under the PSU related ESPN articles. Don't.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by DocEmrick »

You know, one thing that pisses me off is the fear mongering. Just the other day, Mark Madden answered a PSU graduate who inquired via e-mail if this whole thing would affect him getting a job. Madden, of course, said "Yes," unless the student could of course find another PSU graduate who was hiring...

I highly doubt that employers will look at the whole of PSU grads as "linked to pedophilia."
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

I doubt that as well.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

DocEmrick wrote:You know, one thing that pisses me off is the fear mongering. Just the other day, Mark Madden answered a PSU graduate who inquired via e-mail if this whole thing would affect him getting a job. Madden, of course, said "Yes," unless the student could of course find another PSU graduate who was hiring...

I highly doubt that employers will look at the whole of PSU grads as "linked to pedophilia."
I can't say for certain that it will affect grad's job prospects, but linkage to Penn State has certainly become quite the buzzkill. I never really wore my school pride that much to begin with, beyond the occasional hockey t-shirt or hat, but now I keep it pretty close to the vest. In the conversations I've had with people in the past six months or so where college came up, they've all ended pretty abruptly and awkwardly within a couple sentences of finding out that I am a PSU alum and that I was in school during the time Sandusky was molesting boys.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I had a job interview yesterday and mentioned in passing that my brother has two degrees from Penn State.
The hiring coordinator nervously laughed and rolled his eyes.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

My labmate is part of the safety committee for the chemistry department and they are in collaboration with DOW to make the labs safer. He went to visit DOW for a tour and had mentioned the whole situation and people claiming they are losing job interviews and job opportunities just because they are PSU alums. He said the guy laughed and said that doesn't happen at large companies like DOW. So i guess it could be happening at smaller companies.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I can't imagine it affecting people looking for work in PA. If companies in PA passed over PSU grads they would be screwing themselves. I would only worry if I were a PSU grad trying to leave the state where HR departments aren't looking at tons of PSU resumes. Say your a hiring manager in Texas or Arizona or NC and your 9 local school grads and one PSU resume, your telling me that recruiter isn't having some sort of negative reaction towards the PSU name subconsciously?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I also wouldn't be too concerned if I had an indemand technical degree either. But if I were coming out of PSU now with a generic BA, i'd be pretty stressed out.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

PSUs recruitment on the whole (for undergraduates) usually happens on campus, where companies line up to hold first round interviews. Unless you're applying to very small companies or banks, I don't see any discrimination going on. Having the largest alumni base centered in the eastern coast, many corporations have ties to PSU anyway which is why they recruit on campus in the first place.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

I just did a two week training for work and there were some recent grads in the class along with us who have been out of school for a few years. Two people were recent PSU grads. It was mentioned twice. Once on the first day when we were introducing ourselves, and on friday when one guy said he was driving back to Penn State this weekend to move out of his apartment. Its pretty ridiculous if anyone, especially HR people make any decisions on anyone if they have Penn State on a resume. Sure it pops out at you now when you see "Penn State" but any mature grown up should be able to seperate the education with Sandusky. Unfortunately Im not naive enough to think that wont happen.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by DocEmrick »

Smaller companies I could understand - cause smaller companies suck like that...well they all have pros and cons. Also, personal issues with the whole ordeal yeah, but 99% of graduates out there aren't going to be affected by it. If I'm hiring someone for my dept. and they do good work, I don't care if it's Robert Morris, Slippery Rock, PSU, Pitt, I'm likely going to hire them if I like their work.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

Penn State Board of Trustees file an appeal regarding the sanctions, vow a federal suit. This could get interesting.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

this thing is more and more of a tangled web every week