Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by shmenguin »

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:People that worship Betty White as if she is the funniest person on the planet.
laughing at old people for being precocious is somewhere between midget humor and stupid pet tricks on the comedy spectrum
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

shmenguin wrote:
cheesesteakwithegg wrote:People that worship Betty White as if she is the funniest person on the planet.
laughing at old people for being precocious is somewhere between midget humor and stupid pet tricks on the comedy spectrum
both of which are hysterical...
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

shmenguin wrote:
truf
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

shmenguin wrote:
I hate midgets, animals, and the elderly
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

PensFanInDC wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:This should probably go in the grammar thread, but I get angry whenever I see people write should/would of instead of should/would have.
Should of/would of drives me insane
I freak out when I see this and apostrophe s for plurals.

Mine: When football talking heads use "defense" as a verb and "defensed" instead of "defended."

(Troy Aikman started it, I think. So, lets all copy the guy who's taken way too many hits to the head. I'm NOT making fun of concussions, BTW; I've had one.)
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

One I see on here a lot...writing "dominate" instead of "dominant"
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

It seems like just about every young woman tilts their head and does the duck-lips when they pose for a photo. Why?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Lt. Dish wrote:It seems like just about every young woman tilts their head and does the duck-lips when they pose for a photo. Why?
I hate it. Don't they realize it makes them look stupid and not at all attractive?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Lt. Dish wrote:It seems like just about every young woman tilts their head and does the duck-lips when they pose for a photo. Why?
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Fashion SMACKDOWNS (2 photos of 2 "celebs" wearing the same dress). Really?
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

Rylan wrote:
I hate it. Don't they realize it makes them look stupid and not at all attractive?
I am happy I never went through that phase as a teenager. I was smart enough to realize this.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

How women can't cheer for something without shrieking a high-pitched "Wooooooooooooooooooo....!!!!!!!!!!!" It's why I've never watched more than 3 episodes of "Oprah" or "The View" in my life. I can stand it on "Ellen" because I'm distracted by the dancing.

What's wrong with yelling "Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah..........!!!!!!" in your normal yell? It's better for your vocal cords and everyone's ears, I'm sure.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

obhave wrote:
Rylan wrote:
I am happy I never went through that phase as a teenager. I was smart enough to realize this.

:fist: Me, too!
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by IrishEyes »

It's "per se," NOT "per say." It is Latin, not English.

Drives me CRAZY.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

IrishEyes wrote:It's "per se," NOT "per say." It is Latin, not English.

Drives me CRAZY.
I thought it was, purse eh?
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

LeopardLetang wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:This should probably go in the grammar thread, but I get angry whenever I see people write should/would of instead of should/would have.
i write would'f
Well, that's wrong too. I think what happened is that a lot of people must have missed class that day and also don't really pay much attention to what they read in articles and news stories where they mostly use good grammar. So they instead go by what they hear, but ears can be tricky because when people think they hear an "f", they're really hearing a "v". It is "'ve", not "of".
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

When teams overpay for slightly better than average talent
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Sarcastic wrote:
LeopardLetang wrote:
i write would'f
Well, that's wrong too. I think what happened is that a lot of people must have missed class that day and also don't really pay much attention to what they read in articles and news stories where they mostly use good grammar. So they instead go by what they hear, but ears can be tricky because when people think they hear an "f", they're really hearing a "v". It is "'ve", not "of".
"Would've," "could've," and "should've," etc. are acceptable in informal use. But there's no such thing as "will've," as in "By then, I will have been gone 10 days."

Horrible sentence structure is rampant in news items today, also.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I am going to start using 'will've'
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

PensFanInDC wrote:I am going to start using 'will've'
:fist: Go ahead, you trailblazer, you!
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Automobile engines that have an oil capacity that involves fractional quarts of oil. Case in point: my mother’s Subaru has an engine that takes 4.4 quarts of oil. So you have to stand there and carefully pour out half the bottle and then keep around a half-full bottle of oil. And 4.4 quarts isn’t an even number of liters, either. I checked. I’d honestly prefer they just add a little extra capacity to the oil pan and make it 5 quarts.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Shyster wrote:Automobile engines that have an oil capacity that involves fractional quarts of oil. Case in point: my mother’s Subaru has an engine that takes 4.4 quarts of oil. So you have to stand there and carefully pour out half the bottle and then keep around a half-full bottle of oil. And 4.4 quarts isn’t an even number of liters, either. I checked. I’d honestly prefer they just add a little extra capacity to the oil pan and make it 5 quarts.
This throws me into a rage. I always buy the 5 quart jugs, then forget about the last 1/2 quart and then I have two 5 quart jugs, each with 1/2 a quart in them. And the cycle continues until I try to merge them into one and spill oil everywhere.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

PensFanInDC wrote:When teams overpay for slightly better than average talent
I'm not going to get into a hockey discussion here, but Semin is extremely talented.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Back to facebook raging...

I hate the people that post all the time about going to the gym. We get it, you go to the gym, you don't need to tell us every day about it. I think the only thing worse than gym posters are diet posters. My one facebook friend seems to have a new diet every 2 weeks and posts about how awesome it is. If it's that awesome, why didn't you stick with it instead of changing all the time? Reminds me of the old joke, "How will you know if someone is a vegetarian? Don't worry...they'll tell you."
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

count2infinity wrote:Back to facebook raging...

I hate the people that post all the time about going to the gym. We get it, you go to the gym, you don't need to tell us every day about it. I think the only thing worse than gym posters are diet posters. My one facebook friend seems to have a new diet every 2 weeks and posts about how awesome it is. If it's that awesome, why didn't you stick with it instead of changing all the time? Reminds me of the old joke, "How will you know if someone is a vegetarian? Don't worry...they'll tell you."
The gym ones don't even bother me that much. Maybe it's because I'm somewhat guilty but not as guilty as others. When I was on my diet, I was posting updates that had round numbers (lost 10 lbs, lost 20 lbs, etc.) Even last week, I broke a time that I hadn't hit in a few years (which I think I mentioned in the gym thread.) I posted it on FB. That being said, I have some friends that go way overboard and mention how many miles they ran, their average speed, calories burned, etc. They then take it a step further by posting weekly and monthly averages. In the words of a former Penguins coach, I "pretend to care, but I really don't care."

I also post pics from the starting line of races, or in some cases I'll post during the race. To me, that's no worse than those who post from a sporting event or concert where their self pic has their face mashed against the lens and a) you can't see what's behind you or b) you're so ****ing far away that you can't tell who's on stage or even that they are at a show. And don't get me started on tailgating pics or backyard house party pics. Yay, you're drinking! I remember my first beer too. :roll: