Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

Pavel Bure wrote:They deserve everything coming to them.
Could you expand on "they"?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

thehockeyguru wrote:It sends the message "You can't play in a bowl game so you have the right to leave". Isn't being a student athlete about more than just athletics? That's the line the NCAA throws out there.
The only reason the transfers are being allowed is to give the players the opportunity to continue their athletic development.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
PSU
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

tifosi77 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:It sends the message "You can't play in a bowl game so you have the right to leave". Isn't being a student athlete about more than just athletics? That's the line the NCAA throws out there.
The only reason the transfers are being allowed is to give the players the opportunity to continue their athletic development.
Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with players being allowed to transfer, but I don't think that coaches from other schools should be allowed to recruit current Penn State players. If a player has interest he can leave the team and pursue all possibilities.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Pavel Bure wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:
PSU
The administrators, the players, the cocahes, the students, .... ?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Yea, while Penn State had idiots in charge, I cannot condone the whole institution as anything more than a place where they had idiots in charge.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

Pavel Bure wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:
PSU
So now that I know you have some vendetta against the institution and not the administration, I can see where your opinions have been coming from.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

thehockeyguru wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with players being allowed to transfer, but I don't think that coaches from other schools should be allowed to recruit current Penn State players. If a player has interest he can leave the team and pursue all possibilities.
you're not going to leave unless you know you have somewhere else to go. and these guys aren't equipped to organize visiting schools and talking to coaches on their own.

i guess it seems slimy to some people, but it's just a natural part of the deal here
DropEmJayBird
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by DropEmJayBird »

Are we still complaining about a football team not being as good as it was in previous years?
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

tifosi77 wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:People are upset the NCAA didnt have a documented clear cut rule on what they can do in situations like this. Which says to me those would be happy if ncaa woukd have just said, welp no rules on this, carry in as usual Penn State.
If you think the former automatically begets the latter, then you have a serious comprehension deficit.
Apparently I do. Please explain to me just how the hell one thinks PSU deserved punishment, yet believes no one has the right to punish them??

Same with the poaching. "I CANT BELIEVE THEYRE HURTING CURRENT PLAYERS!"

Coaches start calling to recruit and join their teams

"THOSE COACHES ARE REPREHENSABLE!!"

Shoukdnt u be happy the players may have opportunites to not be so affected by this??
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:
PSU
So now that I know you have some vendetta against the institution and not the administration, I can see where your opinions have been coming from.
In a perfect world, how would you have liked this situation to play out?
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

shmenguin wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:
you're not going to leave unless you know you have somewhere else to go. and these guys aren't equipped to organize visiting schools and talking to coaches on their own.

i guess it seems slimy to some people, but it's just a natural part of the deal here

A lot of people have questioned the class of Urban Meyer and his recruiting tactics, even he has come out and said recruiting Penn State players should be off limits.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

DudeMan2766 wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:People are upset the NCAA didnt have a documented clear cut rule on what they can do in situations like this. Which says to me those would be happy if ncaa woukd have just said, welp no rules on this, carry in as usual Penn State.
If you think the former automatically begets the latter, then you have a serious comprehension deficit.
Apparently I do. Please explain to me just how the hell one thinks PSU deserved punishment, yet believes no one has the right to punish them??
I can't explain that to you because absolutely no one is saying that.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

pfim wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:
I can't explain that to you because absolutely no one is saying that.
well people think the ncaa shouldnt be allowed to do it. PSU didnt do it themselves, so who?
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

RJW76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by RJW76 »

thehockeyguru wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:
Please. When SMU was given the death penalty, guess who was lining up to pick at the carcass?

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/02/28/sport ... ayers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Representatives from all over the country milled about outside the football offices at Ownby Stadium waiting to snare a few minutes of the players' time.

Among the larger schools that were reportedly represented on campus were Penn State, Arkansas, Texas A&M, Texas, Oklahoma, Houston, U.C.L.A., Arizona, Tulsa, Alabama and Kansas.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

The fact that you think the NCAA is the sole front that Penn State is being punished is laughable and naive at best.
Last edited by DontToewsMeBro on Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

DudeMan2766 wrote:
well people think the ncaa shouldnt be allowed to do it. PSU didnt do it themselves, so who?
The government, the victims.

Why hasn't Arkansas faced sanctions for Bobby Petrino's transgressions?
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

RJW76 wrote:
Representatives from all over the country milled about outside the football offices at Ownby Stadium waiting to snare a few minutes of the players' time.

Among the larger schools that were reportedly represented on campus were Penn State, Arkansas, Texas A&M, Texas, Oklahoma, Houston, U.C.L.A., Arizona, Tulsa, Alabama and Kansas.
I still think that it's a shady practice no matter who was doing it or when they were doing it. The clarification should be made though that SMU had the death penalty.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

What this thread has become:

steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:What this thread has become:

OH YOU DIDN'T KNOWWWWWW?
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:The fact that you think the NCAA is the sole front that Penn State is being punished is laughable and naive at best.
Thank you, I have been thinking this for the last few pages. People are saying that now Penn State can finally realize there is more to the school than the football program, yet the only punishments they think matter are the ones that affect the football team.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

I think the punishment as a whole was just, including fines etc.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Staggy wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:The fact that you think the NCAA is the sole front that Penn State is being punished is laughable and naive at best.
Thank you, I have been thinking this for the last few pages. People are saying that now Penn State can finally realize there is more to the school than the football program, yet the only punishments they think matter are the ones that affect the football team.
I don't know that anyone has said that. Yes, some think what the NCAA did was fine. However, that doesn't mean they don't expect more to happen.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Staggy wrote:
You're essentially saying, "We're going to tell you that winning football games isn't important by taking away wins and making you lose." Why would you take away something so unimportant? I get this.

The emotional, irrational, angry, alumna in me agrees that PSU as an institution deserves to be punished--swiftly, soundly, and thoroughly. The rational academic in me has concerns about the Freeh report's methodology and overreliance on inference in making conclusions. It's funny, like I have a split personality on all this. I've talked with colleagues, some with ties to PSU, some not, who are experiencing a similar dilemma. I have yet to talk with an attorney who believes that the report is "sound," but my sample for my little unscientific survey is 4.

I'm OK with the sanctions with 2 exceptions:

1. I thought vacating wins was petty. I get why they did it, but I thought it was unnecessary because the NCAA's primary constituent is the student-athlete, not the coach. I know it's simple record-keeping. But, without a disclaimer of sorts, the record, which is intended to present history, reflects a punitive response to an action committed by the student-athletes. (I'm on record as saying that I don't care about Joe's legacy.)

2. A biggie: I have a problem with the sanctions being based on the investigation in the report, regardless of who's imposing the sanctions. But, in this case, the NCAA, as a governing body comprised of academic administrators whose concerns are students' academics as well as athletics, relied on an investigation that really doesn't pass the "academic smell test." Emmert, as a public affairs academic by training, should see the problems with enacting policy on a report loaded with inference.

(I think this is what tifosi77, Rocco and Toews are arguing--I apologize if I'm off base or misrepresenting your position. I don't want to start it all up again, but as an academic, I absolutely agree with them. I understand, however, that time was of the essence here, and we're talking about violation of children, gross negligence, not ivory tower BS, etc. I'm now punting here on purpose.)

I vacillate on whether the NCAA had jurisdiction--paralysis by analysis. I consider myself an even-keeled person capable of critical analysis. But throughout all of this, I get so far, then, like I said, I find myself punting. I'll blame my broken heart. Irrationality wins.