Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

I care. There are dozens of other threads you can post in if you don't.

and considering the same media that drove them to act so swiftly already thinks the penalties are too harsh I'd love to see the NCAA try to spin the a 4 year death penalty into them taking the moral high ground again. It's for the culture, you know?
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Pavel Bure wrote:Who gives a ****? I'm not sure what you guys are whining about.
I feel a lot of people were prepared for PSU to get the death penalty, and now that that didnt happen, need to find other things to complain about, and fingers to point about PSU being bullied. Now, I don't buy that "changing the culture' stuff because most big time programs are corrupt, but this goes far above and beyond the scale of what normally involves corruption that I'm just happy the program got nailed. I don't care by who, or how. People crying that media pressure caused these harsh sanctions to come down is really ticking me off tho. After what transpired I dont care if some homeless guy wrote suggestions for punishment on a dirty napkin and slipped it under the door, as long as the school didnt get off lightly, I dont care.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

Because the school was the problem. No, the defamation of the brand, the coach, Sandusky going to jail for life, and the VP, AD, and most likely the President all looking at paying for their inaction wasn't enough for you. Not to mention the hundreds of millions of dollars they will lose in civil suits as the DoE has their way with the University, not that those things will matter at all*.

You had to deal with your PSU friends and their high and mighty stance, always acting morally superior to those at other schools. You probably seethed as they blindly stuck up for their Head Football Coach who had been at Penn State since before their parents were born. Now you revile in watching the whole school pay the cost of four men's failures. Now you can finally point and laugh at the sad state of their University.

*Disclaimer: It's about the victims, etc.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

As miserable as the last year or so has been from a PSU perspective, I'm really, really happy that Bill O'Brien is in charge now. I love everything I've seen and heard from him so far, and he has repeatedly and vocally told people to shut up when they suggested he escape his contract. Granted, anything could happen and he might get frustrated down the road, but he just strikes me as someone that can motivate people.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

It seems like you guys crying about the punishments just want to grind a collective axe. To think the punishments are anything less than deserved is to look for something to complain about. It's silly whining because someone didn't get their way and now they want to throw a tantrum about nothing.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
You had to deal with your PSU friends and their high and mighty stance, always acting morally superior to those at other schools. You probably seethed as they blindly stuck up for their Head Football Coach who had been at Penn State since before their parents were born. Now you revile in watching the whole school pay the cost of four men's failures. Now you can finally point and laugh at the sad state of their University.

Not sure if this is directed at someone specifically or just a rant against everyone who disagrees with you. However, I don't know anyone who goes there, have never had an interest in PSU one way or the other, and don't even watch much college football. I'm guessing your thoughts cover the same number of people who think that PSU is the real victim here.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Maybe they'll fire Erickson and charge up the hill against the NCAA for vindication.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

The University and the individuals involved are being taken care of in criminal court. The NCAA didn't need to play White Knight to seem relevant and use the situation to push their agenda while acting in an unprecedented manner that handed all power to a single blowhard. The end.

and no, they weren't specifically directed but I've had too many friends from western Pennsylvania comment about the situation to not notice that it's a common mindset.
Last edited by DontToewsMeBro on Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:The University and the individuals involved are being taken care of in criminal court. The NCAA didn't need to play White Knight to seem relevant and use the situation to push their agenda while acting in an unprecedented manner that handed all power to a single blowhard. The end.
Is this really your view?
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:The University and the individuals involved are being taken care of in criminal court. The NCAA didn't need to play White Knight to seem relevant and use the situation to push their agenda while acting in an unprecedented manner that handed all power to a single blowhard. The end.

and no, they weren't specifically directed but I've had too many friends from western Pennsylvania comment about the situation to not notice that it's a common mindset.
Which part of the punishment are you most outraged by?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

DudeMan2766 wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:Who gives a ****? I'm not sure what you guys are whining about.
I feel a lot of people were prepared for PSU to get the death penalty, and now that that didnt happen, need to find other things to complain about, and fingers to point about PSU being bullied. Now, I don't buy that "changing the culture' stuff because most big time programs are corrupt, but this goes far above and beyond the scale of what normally involves corruption that I'm just happy the program got nailed. I don't care by who, or how. People crying that media pressure caused these harsh sanctions to come down is really ticking me off tho. After what transpired I dont care if some homeless guy wrote suggestions for punishment on a dirty napkin and slipped it under the door, as long as the school didnt get off lightly, I dont care.
So massive DOJ fines, expensive civil lawsuits, loss of sponsorship etc. would have been "getting off lightly" without the football team losing scholarships?
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:Because the school was the problem. No, the defamation of the brand, the coach, Sandusky going to jail for life, and the VP, AD, and most likely the President all looking at paying for their inaction wasn't enough for you. Not to mention the hundreds of millions of dollars they will lose in civil suits as the DoE has their way with the University, not that those things will matter at all*.

If thats directed toward me, I have ZERO, absolutely no ties to Penn State what so ever. No friends that are fans, no family, nothing. The worst thing I've ever said about them was a joking argument once with my girlfriend cuz she loved Joe Paterno and hated Lou Holtz. And i Just couldn't understand how that was possible. But that was just joking.

Look, (and this most likely has been mentioned, i dont know, but forgive me) if a high ranking manager at a company sexually harrasses a bunch of women, denys promotions for not getting sexual favors, etc. and gets busted, he loses his job, but how many times does the COMPANY get sued to hell and back. Or, a neighbor kid is playing at your house or in your yard, gets really hurt, guess who's getting sued because it happend on your property. This happend on the PSU campus so thats why the entire school gets nailed. Its the way things happen in the real world.

Theres no way people could have possibly expected that this was going to stop at the 4 responsible getting busted and that was it. All people responsible for the Ohio State scandal are gone. OSU still aint playin a bowl game this year. There are so many innocent casualties in situations like this.(yes the actual victims included) It sucks, but it happens.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

It really seems like people complaining don't think that what happened ran hand in hand with the football program. It's a really strange stance. It's pretty much saying no program should be punished because of the actions of individuals. So USC should have gotten off cause it was only Reggie Bush and OSU should have gotten off because it was only a few players selling things. It's a really strange and odd view.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

Yes. This goes so far beyond football it isn't even funny. Penn State is going to lose at least .5 billion dollars from this. The NCAA made sure this was, again, all about college football. What did the headlines read today? They were about PSUs running back going to USC. Do you think the NCAA will get involved with the Montana case? No. Why? Because it would make no difference in their perception among Big Time Us, and that was the deciding factor in getting involved.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

Rocco wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:
So massive DOJ fines, expensive civil lawsuits, loss of sponsorship etc. would have been "getting off lightly" without the football team losing scholarships?
Would the public care if PSU got fines and lost sponsors? As long as they have their football, I don't think they would. Which is how we got here in the first place. The NCAA hit them where it hurt.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Rocco wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:
I didnt go sanction by sanction like some of you and think, "okay thats okay. That ones too harsh. Thats okay. I dont agree with that"

I just think the punishment as a whole is just fine. Who knows, if there was no 4 year bowl ban, I might have still been okay with it. If there was the bowl ban, but only lost 5 scholarships a year, I still might have been happy. But you guys were gonna complain anything was too much from the get-go so it doesnt matter.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

ulf wrote:
Rocco wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:
Would the public care if PSU got fines and lost sponsors? As long as they have their football, I don't think they would. Which is how we got here in the first place. The NCAA hit them where it hurt.
Respectfully, the NCAA's penalties are nothing compared to what other more powerful agents with legitimate moral authority are capable of doing to PSU. Potentially they could lose accreditation, which is approximately 5 billion times worse for a school than NCAA penalties. The DOE could suspend PSU from getting federal student aid. The civil lawsuits are going to result in huge checks being written.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Why do I have a feeling that this will turn into an endless feedback loop, like the CFB thread?
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

But the country wouldn't see that. They wouldn't notice if tuition rises, PSU loses academic distinctions, hundreds of millions of dollars, or state funding, but if the football team isn't playing Houston in the GoDaddy.com Toilet Bowl, then and only then, they are satisfied.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

columbia wrote:Why do I have a feeling that this will turn into an endless feedback loop, like the CFB thread?
It seems like it, but theres an actual discussion going on in here, not an Abbot and Costello routine like in there.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

columbia wrote:Why do I have a feeling that this will turn into an endless feedback loop, like the CFB thread?
didn't it already?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

ulf wrote:
didn't it already?
:wink:
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:But the country wouldn't see that. They wouldn't notice if tuition rises, PSU loses academic distinctions, hundreds of millions of dollars, or state funding, but if the football team isn't playing Houston in the GoDaddy.com Toilet Bowl, then and only then, they are satisfied.
I just don't get how you don't see that PSU made its own bed here and now they must accept the consequences. Opposing this is akin to a parent blindly defending their child who did something and was punished for it.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

Pavel Bure wrote:It really seems like people complaining don't think that what happened ran hand in hand with the football program. It's a really strange stance. It's pretty much saying no program should be punished because of the actions of individuals. So USC should have gotten off cause it was only Reggie Bush and OSU should have gotten off because it was only a few players selling things. It's a really strange and odd view.
In both those cases, USC and OSU violated NCAA rules. These rules exist because there isn't any criminal law that prevents this behavior, and the NCAA is essentially a cartel designed to protect college athletics' veneer of amateurism and those two schools crossed the line. They were hauled before the committee on infractions and punishments were meted out. With USC, the running backs coach who the NCAA determined was involved was given a one-year show cause. With Ohio State, Tressel was given a 4-year show cause and has a 5 game suspension pending if he ever coaches in college football again.

PSU's leadership arguably violated no rules in the NCAA rulebook but instead violated Pennsylvania's criminal code with their heinous acts. Perhaps one could argue that PSU's football team benefited from this behavior but the NCAA chose not to pursue the route of the hypothetical illegal benefit before the committee. No one who committed any of the offenses was actually punished by the NCAA, and the NCAA has said nothing about individual culpability because they "don't have all the facts".
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

[youtube][/youtube]