Thoughts on Weber...

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Thoughts on Weber...

Post by Idoit40fans »

If they survive year one, even with year 2 being rough, gotta think they just keep him. I hope he spends his career losing in the first round in Nashville.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Idoit40fans wrote:If they survive year one, even with year 2 being rough, gotta think they just keep him. I hope he spends his career losing in the first round in Nashville.
Since they made it to Round 2 the last two years while the Pens didn't.........
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

Idoit40fans wrote:If they survive year one, even with year 2 being rough, gotta think they just keep him. I hope he spends his career losing in the first round in Nashville.
No reason to move him after all the bonus money has been paid. Hope he likes Nashville.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

brwi wrote:
Since they made it to Round 2 the last two years while the Pens didn't.........
With far and away the best defensive pairing in the league. A pairing that played half a game.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

pfim wrote:
No reason to move him after all the bonus money has been paid. Hope he likes Nashville.
Exactly.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Even if he doesn't want to be there, he very well knew the risk of signing that offer sheet.
And if he truly didn't want to be there, he should have signed a 1 year deal and split at that point.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

And to think you (collective) wasted all that time having a coronary because Weber signed the offer sheet.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

columbia wrote:Even if he doesn't want to be there, he very well knew the risk of signing that offer sheet.
And if he truly didn't want to be there, he should have signed a 1 year deal and split at that point.
From Weber's perspective, this was the ultimate win-win. He got a deal before the new CBA and his present team/city that he obviously likes enough to live there full-time on a pretty nice spread and either they match it or he goes to the Flyers who aren't the dregs of the NHL and won't be anytime soon. Instead of even more negotiation with Nashville that hasn't led to a long-term deal in the last two years despite a lot of trying, signing the offer sheet mean "here's the deal...no more arbitration...no more one year bit." Plus, it's heavily front-loaded and he can invest that money now rather than later and have it working for him instantly.

Tomorrow athe press conference and conference call, Weber will have to do a little selling to convince the fans of Nashville that he's happy to still be there and that should be easy because I think weber was going to be happy either way it turned out.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Penspal »

As a passionate fan of the Pens, I think its fine to show a little "emotion" at your team's biggest rival signing a "star" player.

And I also think its okay for fans to poke fun at those fans who are a little to "emo" regarding this (and other things).

However, when the rival gets "punked", its time to cue the dancing banana... where is that gif when you need it!!!!
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Beveridge »

Penspal wrote:However, when the rival gets "punked", its time to cue the dancing banana... where is that gif when you need it!!!!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Glad to see Poile matched. I'm sure it was reviewed by the league, but I'm surprised we didn't hear more conversation about the legality of the contract...bonus money was insane.