Nash to NYR

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Nash to NYR

Post by bhaw »

brwi wrote:
bhaw wrote:
pfim wrote:Meh. Think Nash is fairly overrated by a lot of people, and Columbus probably got what they could. I mean, good player, not sure he's as good as his cap hit. Sucks for their PR, but they received a few decent pieces in return.
I think you could argue their PR would not be good if they kept Nash, as you would have a lot of fan saying "Why don't we trade this piece of trash who doesn't even want to play here?"
Pretty true. Nash showed what a low quality person he is when he got busted for being a complete liar and CBJ didn't have a lot of leverage once the fans turned on him(for good reason). The whole "I can't believe they are discussing trading ME!" after he had requested a trade ranks as pretty much a fan-killer.

Columbus got what they could and also unloaded a bad contract and a player who didn't want to be there to go along with the fact the fans/management didn't want him there either. Not a great haul but not bad either.
The whole Nash not wanting to play in Columbus is also why I'm not bought into him being a complete slug. If he WANTS to play in New York and has more motivation, he could be a bigger threat than people are making him out to be. That will remain to be seen, so I don't want a history lesson on his stats or who psychoanalyzed him via television in the Olympics. When you don't want to be there, you aren't going to put in your best effort day in and day out. He's just as likely to be a slug as he is to be a significantly better player than we have seen the last few years.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Kaizer »

Jackets might not win a game next season, unless the Letestu-Foligno combo turns out to be the next Mario-Stevens.
GreenPen

Post by GreenPen »

MRandall25 wrote:Nash will be right at home, since the NY media doesn't realize it's hockey season till mid-March. Plenty of time for him to underperform.
:?:
NY media was all over the Rangers once they finally become a legit contender.
marek wrote:Dubinsky going the other way was/is a shocker to me... the guy meant a lot to that team! Just wow.
The rangers really do enjoy paying for and acquiring NAMES.
Not so much. He had a bad season, and his grit for the Rangers sake was expendable. They have plenty more and needed another legit goal scorer with size. The PP got exactly what it needed.

Nash would not have fit with the Pens. He fits perfect with the Rangers.
Bobby Ryan is a much better fit.
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by penscup »

Average over the last 3 seasons:

NASH - 32G 32A 64P

DUBINSKY (18G 26A 44P) + ANISIMOV (15G 21A 36P) = 33G 47A 80P
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

I hate these comparisons because they don't make any sense. To be fair, you have to compare Nash+ whoever takes anisimov/dubinsky's roster space. If you can get the same production from one player that you do from two, that is a great improvement
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by TheHammer24 »

Mr. Colby wrote:
mac5155 wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:Wow. That's all the better Columbus could do?
This trade may be better than the Hossa trade.
Jesus. Maybe Tangradi, Kennedy, Despres, 1st actually would have got it done. Eek.
The reason Nash didn't fetch much is because he's overpaid and under achieving. You wouldn't pay Nash that salary on the open market ... Why would you give up a ton of assets for him?
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

The offers for Nash at the trade deadline were much better. Howson should've pulled the trigger then, but he sucks.
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by interstorm »

meecrofilm wrote:The offers for Nash at the trade deadline were much better. Howson should've pulled the trigger then, but he sucks.
Seriously - how is this guy still there?
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

a few fun facts about columbus without nash:

-rj umberger now leads the team in goal scoring with 20.
-vinny prospal leads the team in points with 55
-no one scored more than 5 power play goals last year

wow
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

Wow they really are like the 03-04 Pens.

Nash is a meatball.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

Did you guys watch the video presser from Howson? The guy is a moron. I don't say that lightly. I see a delusional, clueless, man who's trying to put on a good face. He was even asked by one of the reporters about the same deal being offered at the deadline. He scrambled a bit, then came up with "we weren't ready to make the deal at the time". I could sense the way the reporters were asking him questions that they didn't want to bring up the better offers / low return and offend him, but you could hear there was no excitement about the trade there.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

And what's with the BS from Howson about a new era, a new approach, a re-tooled lineup, winning the cup. Just glad that guy isn't our GM.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

jimjom wrote:Wow they really are like the 03-04 Pens.

Nash is a meatball.
Dude is the skater's version of Luongo. I can't help but root for him to suck. I also feel so strongly that everyone should know why I feel that way that I will not explain it.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by André »

canaan wrote:I hate these comparisons because they don't make any sense. To be fair, you have to compare Nash+ whoever takes anisimov/dubinsky's roster space. If you can get the same production from one player that you do from two, that is a great improvement
Weird how people constantly forget this.

The team that gets the best player usually wins the trade.
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by penscup »

canaan wrote:I hate these comparisons because they don't make any sense. To be fair, you have to compare Nash+ whoever takes anisimov/dubinsky's roster space. If you can get the same production from one player that you do from two, that is a great improvement
I wasn't stating who I thought won the trade really, just thought they were interesting stats to add to the debate since so many people seem to think Columbus got robbed.

Erixon doesn't sound like a throw-in either. 1st rounder from 2009 who refused to sign in Calgary and then was shipped to NYR for two 2nd rounders. He is highly rated and has potential to be a top 4 D-man and sounds like he is NHL ready (similar to Despres). If the additional 1st rounder in 2013 turns out to be a top line player too that will be a fairly impressive return for Nash I think. Can't really judge this until a couple years down the road obviously, but I wouldn't laugh too hard at what Howson is doing, he's accumulated
3 first round picks in next years draft now which should amount to something.