Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Post by pfim »

shafnutz05 wrote:I do get kind of tired of Moody's, on a side note. Every time something happens, we have to hear the INTENSE SPECULATION on whether or not they will <GASP> downgrade something. It's pathetic.
Well, that's kinda what they do. Credit analysts are so misunderstood!

Doubt it's a downgrade of any significance though.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

pfim wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:I do get kind of tired of Moody's, on a side note. Every time something happens, we have to hear the INTENSE SPECULATION on whether or not they will <GASP> downgrade something. It's pathetic.
Well, that's kinda what they do. Credit analysts are so misunderstood!

Doubt it's a downgrade of any significance though.
haha I know, it's just inevitable. I didn't even realize they assigned credit ratings to universities, but I guess it makes sense. I highly doubt it's significant too.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

so when are they demolishing the school? Hopefully they start with the Hammond building.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:

so when are they demolishing the school? Hopefully they start with the Hammond building.
I always heard a story about that building, that they let a bunch of undergrad architectural engineers design that, and when they F'ed it up they just built it sideways, which is why it spans like 19 city blocks and has 3 split levels.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

I really really despise Franco Harris. Always have.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

DudeMan2766 wrote:I really really despise Franco Harris. Always have.
I wish Franco would just shut up as well. He is a moron.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

I don't think I've ever heard one intelligent word come out of Franco's mouth... ever.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

MWB wrote:
malkinshair wrote:
MWB wrote:Isn't it possible that this is a completely unique situation and that's why the NCAA handled it in a completely unique way? I understand people being concerned about precedent, but sometimes you actually do have to go outside the box to do what is right. It seems like most people are saying, "The punishment is fine, but how they got there is crazy." Sometimes the "how they got there" doesn't really matter and the fact that they got it right is the most important thing.
I've often found that the 'ends justify the means' philosophy to be dangerous...in just about any situation. Rules are in place for a reason. Circumventing the rules to arrive at an 'end' that you want is suddenly okay?
Yes, I believe in some unique, specific circumstances it's okay to circumvent the rules.
According to Emmert and the NCAA every case is unique.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

newarenanow wrote:
I wish Franco would just shut up as well. He is a moron.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

skullman80 wrote:I don't think I've ever heard one intelligent word come out of Franco's mouth... ever.
Same here except for those energy bill commercials where he came out of the wall.

Forget if it was on here or twitter that said they should tear his airport statue down.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

jimjom wrote:
skullman80 wrote:I don't think I've ever heard one intelligent word come out of Franco's mouth... ever.
Same here except for those energy bill commercials where he came out of the wall.

Forget if it was on here or twitter that said they should tear his airport statue down.
The same statue is in the HH museum. I may or may not have gotten my picture taken while humping it at a wedding there.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ng-program" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Say what you will but ESPN is sure running away with the NCAAs perceived failures yesterday.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ng-program

Say what you will but ESPN is sure running away with the NCAAs perceived failures yesterday.
Keown misses the point- Emmert was not authorized to pursue the Death Penalty by the Executive Committee, despite his grandstanding. The Consent Agreement listed out the punishments Emmert could use and that wasn't one.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malkinshair »

Rocco wrote:

Keown misses the point- Emmert was not authorized to pursue the Death Penalty by the Executive Committee, despite his grandstanding. The Consent Agreement listed out the punishments Emmert could use and that wasn't one.
So did Emmert flat-out lie to Erickson when he threatened the multi-year Death Penalty if PSU didn't agree to yesterday's sanctions?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

malkinshair wrote:
Rocco wrote:

So did Emmert flat-out lie to Erickson when he threatened the multi-year Death Penalty if PSU didn't agree to yesterday's sanctions?
If Emmert wanted the Death Penalty, he would have had to have gone through the standard Committee on Infractions to get it. While it's entirely possible he would have gotten his way there, those who know more about the process suggest it's likely the COI wouldn't have found any grounds for sanctions as the rules are currently written.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malkinshair »

Rocco wrote:
malkinshair wrote:
Rocco wrote:

If Emmert wanted the Death Penalty, he would have had to have gone through the standard Committee on Infractions to get it. While it's entirely possible he would have gotten his way there, those who know more about the process suggest it's likely the COI wouldn't have found any grounds for sanctions as the rules are currently written.
Wow...So is it more likely that Erickson didn't know 'the rules' when he signed off on the sanctions, or that he knew Emmert was 'bluffing', but couldn't risk looking non-compliant to the NCAA, media, and public in general?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

malkinshair wrote: Wow...So is it more likely that Erickson didn't know 'the rules' when he signed off on the sanctions, or that he knew Emmert was 'bluffing', but couldn't risk looking non-compliant to the NCAA, media, and public in general?
Oh, so you're allowed to make logical connections without hearing from Erickson but former head of the FBI can't? :lol: Sure, now you can can hate on Erickson and Emmert based on you making loose connections.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

Erickson said he was threatened with harsher sanctions, the NCAA said they never considered the death penalty as an alternative. Somebody is lying.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

THere are a bunch of retards on the Pitt boards saying PSU got off easy in all of this.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

malkinshair wrote:
Rocco wrote:
malkinshair wrote:
Rocco wrote:

Wow...So is it more likely that Erickson didn't know 'the rules' when he signed off on the sanctions, or that he knew Emmert was 'bluffing', but couldn't risk looking non-compliant to the NCAA, media, and public in general?
In "The Wire", prosecutor Rhonda Pearlman is meeting with corrupt defense attorney Maurice Levy. (I apologize for infringing on Jason Whitlock's gimmick, and if he's made this analogy I apologize since I stopped reading him and am unaware he's made this analogy.) Pearlman has pretty hefty charges against Levy's client Marlo Stanfield. The problem is the case is built on an illegal wiretap and the facts would embarrass Baltimore law enforcement and the mayor (who is running for governor). Levy knows this, but if he takes the case to trial, Pearlman will release information showing that Levy is responsible for leaking information to drug dealers, a crime that would cause him to be disbarred and thrown in prison. Plus while it's unlikely Pearlman would win, her chances are above zero. So a deal is worked out where Marlo isn't prosecuted but can't deal drugs anymore, other members of Marlo's crew take the fall for the crimes, charges aren't filed against Levy, and the illegal wiretap is never revealed to the public, which allows Pearlman to become a judge and the mayor to become governor.

Neither Emmert nor Erickson are as corrupt as Pearlman and Levy, but both had little to gain from a major trial and would lose more than they'd win.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:Erickson said he was threatened with harsher sanctions, the NCAA said they never considered the death penalty as an alternative. Somebody is lying.
Had Erickson not accepted the deal, the NCAA would have had to go through their standard Infractions procedure, and should they have convinced the COI that the actions were sanctionable they may have asked for the Death Penalty. Speculating, I'd say Emmert said this is what they'd ask for to Erickson, and Erickson took the deal without consulting the whole BOT because the BOT may not/would not have taken the deal. In that case neither would be lying. (I honestly don't know enough about PSU's structure to know if Erickson was authorized to do what he did. I'm assuming so, but the secrecy of everything done here should ring alarm bells given how similar it is to the behavior for which PSU is being sanctioned.)
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Hmmm....liken the behavior of the people cleaning up the mess, to those who caused it.
Because, well, that hopefully casts a suspicion on the mess cleaners and potentially lessens the unacceptable behavior of the previous administration.

That's an interesting rhetorical ploy.
Not effective, but it is interesting.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malkinshair »

bhaw wrote:
malkinshair wrote: Wow...So is it more likely that Erickson didn't know 'the rules' when he signed off on the sanctions, or that he knew Emmert was 'bluffing', but couldn't risk looking non-compliant to the NCAA, media, and public in general?
Oh, so you're allowed to make logical connections without hearing from Erickson but former head of the FBI can't? :lol: Sure, now you can can hate on Erickson and Emmert based on you making loose connections.
:lol:

No, see, I was asking what was 'more likely'......not stating what appeared to me to be 'more likely' as fact. :wink:

Seriously, though, it is an interesting question. Did Erickson know that Emmert was overstating his power, or, in Erickson's mind, did it not matter?
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Rocco with the mega "wire" spoiler. Put that inside tags, dude.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

shmenguin wrote:Rocco with the mega "wire" spoiler. Put that inside tags, dude.
It's been what, 5 years? If you haven't watched it yet, it's your fault.