Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Post by Pavel Bure »

pfim wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote: No win situation Columbia. Call Joepa out for the bad guy he was people crucify you. Call them out when they have no recourse and all of a sudden they never really defended him. The Joepa death thread makes me sick.
I think you guys are really barking up the wrong tree with Rocco here.
I'm not even talking Rocco but everyone that was upset that we were calling a spade a spade.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

A lot of people defended Paterno before all of the facts were "official", so to speak. I gave Paterno the benefit of the doubt because I looked up to him. Finally, the weight of the evidence converted me. I don't think you can really pound your chest and say "HAHA, TOLD YOU PATERNO WAS A CHILD MOLESTER-ENABLING SCUMBAG!"
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

shafnutz05 wrote:I'm trying to figure out which reaction has been more hilarious/entertaining. The people that refuse to believe the university did anything wrong, or the people that refuse to accept any criticism of how the NCAA has conducted themselves in this matter.
the former.

maybe i haven't read this thread closely enough, but did the NCAA actually do anything that they aren't allowed to do? and by "allowed", i mean by law, not by their own internal philosophies. they were certainly icky in their execution here, but it seems like they have every right to be icky.

and you know...it is the NCAA after all. if this is viewed as some indicator that their power is going to get out of control, well you're several years late catching that train.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

It was obvious he allowed what happen to continue. Defending him was a head in the sand move at best. Either way it's finally exposed. It's not chest thumping it's being sickened that people defended a bad guy that allowed this to happen to children and ignore for the most part how they acted towards those who knew better and pointed out the truth. But whatever, of course we're wrong no matter what here because people "reserved judgement" until all the facts were out. Bottom line very few reserved anything in blindly defending the guy.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

columbia wrote:
pfim wrote:
columbia wrote:
pfim wrote: Ehh, it's the same view just about every lawyer I've read shares.
It's an internal NCAA matter, so why are you concerned about their opinion?

It's pretty clear that the NCAA actually needs a strong central power, seeing what went on at Penn State.
Because they read the rules? It's not impossible to sue the NCAA.

I realize this is an emotional case, but man, the amount of people who are willing to just throw out the rules to whatever end suits them is kinda scary.
Imagine the following:

The NCAA takes no action and everyone left at Penn State goes on their merry way.
A year from now, a woman is sexually assaulted by a coach at an NCAA member school and someone in the athletic department tries to squelch the investigation
So you're saying the coach and athletic director going to jail for a long time wouldn't really be enough of a punishment for them. Let's burn the school too. Face it, the NCAA reached over their heads to play the White Knight. You don't have to be an "apologist", an enabler, or a blind PSU minion to see that clearly.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

shmenguin wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:I'm trying to figure out which reaction has been more hilarious/entertaining. The people that refuse to believe the university did anything wrong, or the people that refuse to accept any criticism of how the NCAA has conducted themselves in this matter.
the former.

maybe i haven't read this thread closely enough, but did the NCAA actually do anything that they aren't allowed to do? and by "allowed", i mean by law, not by their own internal philosophies. they were certainly icky in their execution here, but it seems like they have every right to be icky.

and you know...it is the NCAA after all. if this is viewed as some indicator that their power is going to get out of control, well you're several years late catching that train.
Law doesn't apply to the NCAA's sanctions against its members, unless PSU were to file suit. It would be hard to do that unless you filed against Erickson also, who agreed to sanctions, in an effort to oust him. None of that will happen.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:So you're saying the coach and athletic director going to jail for a long time wouldn't really be enough of a punishment for them. Let's burn the school too. Face it, the NCAA reached over their heads to play the White Knight. You don't have to be an "apologist", an enabler, or a blind PSU minion to see that clearly.
are you actually saying that the punishment should have been limited to the 4 people or whatever that are directly responsible?
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Pavel Bure wrote:It was obvious he allowed what happen to continue. Defending him was a head in the sand move at best. Either way it's finally exposed. It's not chest thumping it's being sickened that people defended a bad guy that allowed this to happen to children and ignore for the most part how they acted towards those who knew better and pointed out the truth. But whatever, of course we're wrong no matter what here because people "reserved judgement" until all the facts were out. Bottom line very few reserved anything in blindly defending the guy.
I'm still amazed that people act utterly shocked and appalled that people would vehemently defend Paterno after the reputation he built up among the Penn State Community since practically World War II. What is so disgusting about someone not wanting to believe what was being said about him initially? I can understand that the people who are still voicing this opinion are completely irrational.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Overreached in punishing a a coverup of child rape that centered around the football program that is governed by the NCAA? Are you sure about that over reaching comment?
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

If anyone is interested, here's Brent Musburger's opinion on the sanctions. He was on "Mike and Mike" this morning:
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/show?showId=mikeandmike" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

malkinshair wrote:
MWB wrote:Isn't it possible that this is a completely unique situation and that's why the NCAA handled it in a completely unique way? I understand people being concerned about precedent, but sometimes you actually do have to go outside the box to do what is right. It seems like most people are saying, "The punishment is fine, but how they got there is crazy." Sometimes the "how they got there" doesn't really matter and the fact that they got it right is the most important thing.
I've often found that the 'ends justify the means' philosophy to be dangerous...in just about any situation. Rules are in place for a reason. Circumventing the rules to arrive at an 'end' that you want is suddenly okay?
Yes, I believe in some unique, specific circumstances it's okay to circumvent the rules.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

shafnutz05 wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:It was obvious he allowed what happen to continue. Defending him was a head in the sand move at best. Either way it's finally exposed. It's not chest thumping it's being sickened that people defended a bad guy that allowed this to happen to children and ignore for the most part how they acted towards those who knew better and pointed out the truth. But whatever, of course we're wrong no matter what here because people "reserved judgement" until all the facts were out. Bottom line very few reserved anything in blindly defending the guy.
I'm still amazed that people act utterly shocked and appalled that people would vehemently defend Paterno after the reputation he built up among the Penn State Community since practically World War II. What is so disgusting about someone not wanting to believe what was being said about him initially? I can understand that the people who are still voicing this opinion are completely irrational.
Shocked that people buried their heads in sand and defended the most powerful man on campus as not knowing what went on in his facilities or that he did what he was supposed to do. Yes that's very shocking that people blindly defended a guy that had total control in the football program, discipline actions of his players, and the buildings used for those purposes but yet didn't know anything about children being raped there. Yes that was and still is very shocking.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Lt. Dish wrote:If anyone is interested, here's Brent Musburger's opinion on the sanctions. He was on "Mike and Mike" this morning:
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/show?showId=mikeandmike" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
disappointing to hear musburger (who i like) play the, "innocent people were punished" card.

listening to more...musburger is ridiculously naive here, imo. saying that the only link between this ordeal and the football team was sandusky himself. idiot.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

I love the term "blindly defended". What do you mean by that Pavel? He was a man that was held in very high regard, especially by those close to the University. I'm not shocked at all that people defended him, especially right after his death. There was a period of mourning for a man that still, despite recent news, did a lot of good for the community and university. With the latest information, it's clear that he made a huge mistake, but you cannot honestly be shocked that people defended and still are defending him when you look at what he was before the news broke. I am not defending his actions as there is no defense for him, but I understand why some felt and still feel the way they do.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/ ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

here comes the windfall.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

pfim wrote:
columbia wrote:
Imagine the following:

The NCAA takes no action and everyone left at Penn State goes on their merry way.
A year from now, a woman is sexually assaulted by a coach at an NCAA member school and someone in the athletic department tries to squelch the investigation.

There's your case study for the NCAA getting sued, because they set a precedent that an employee in an athletic department can do any damn thing they please, with no repercussions to the school.
A grossly permissive environment, if you will.
How? I'm no lawyer, but that coach is not employed by the NCAA. Again, I'm no lawyer, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

If anything, the NCAA has set a precedent that these types of issues ARE under their purview, opening up their liability.

I'll defer to someone who actually practices law though.
You're pretty close to it. The idea that there's no repercussions to the school when the school is going to face Clery Act violations by the DOJ is amusing. I really find it hilarious that despite all the penalties PSU is going to face, people could argue that nothing would be done to them unless their football team and people who had nothing to do with the situation was reduced to smoking rubble.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Moody’s clearly altered their credit rating algorithm, just to screw over Penn State.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

columbia wrote:Moody’s clearly altered their credit rating algorithm, just to screw over Penn State.
:face:
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

shafnutz05 wrote:
columbia wrote:Moody’s clearly altered their credit rating algorithm, just to screw over Penn State.
:face:
It makes as much sense as the conspiracy theory floated here, that everyone involved at Penn State is throwing Paterno under the bus for their own benefit.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

State Farm insurance is dropping sponsorship of Penn St. Football

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... 3618.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/ ... story.html
Here comes the windfall.
Windfall? Am I not connecting the dots, or do you not know what that means?
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

ulf wrote:
Here comes the windfall.
Haha, was to read: "fallout". my b.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
ulf wrote:
Here comes the windfall.
Haha, was to read: "fallout". my b.
Okay that makes much more sense lol
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Kaizer »

dude.
Spoiler:
i lol'd
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I do get kind of tired of Moody's, on a side note. Every time something happens, we have to hear the INTENSE SPECULATION on whether or not they will <GASP> downgrade something. It's pathetic.