Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Post by Idoit40fans »

Mr. Colby wrote:And anyone who defends PSU gets an unfair label. The "general public" and the media is unable to separate people with legitimate defenses from the truly brainwashed PSU football folk. They label anyone that says anything to the defense of PSU as "irrational" or "brainwashed" or "just another stupid Penn State fan"
If they're defending anything regarding to what happened, then it is irrational and brainwashed. If they're defending the handling of the situation in the past few weeks then maybe you're right.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

columbia wrote:
steve784 wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:And anyone who defends PSU gets an unfair label. The "general public" and the media is unable to separate people with legitimate defenses from the truly brainwashed PSU football folk. They label anyone that says anything to the defense of PSU as "irrational" or "brainwashed" or "just another stupid Penn State fan"
This is my biggest issue with the whole fallout of the whole situation. Any word not completely bashing PSU is a verbal support of pedophilia.
Where are you encountering these people?
Listen to any sportstalk in Pittsburgh for starters.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

Idoit40fans wrote:If they're defending anything regarding to what happened, then it is irrational and brainwashed. If they're defending the handling of the situation in the past few weeks then maybe you're right.
Exactly. Completely agree.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

shafnutz05 wrote:I mean seriously. McQueary was the only one that actually caught Sandusky in the process of completely violating a child and he ran off like a coward and told Coach. He was the only direct witness to it, and he has completely escaped any kind of scrutiny as the coward he is. Just amazes me.

Edit: And allegedly the janitors too.
McQueary - no excuse.

The janitors more than likely feared for their jobs. And probably felt they wouldn't be believed. They would have been branded by the university as malcontents and dismissed by the authorities. And then dismissed by Penn State.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

Of course the Paterno family has already released a statement. :face:
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

llipgh2 wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:I mean seriously. McQueary was the only one that actually caught Sandusky in the process of completely violating a child and he ran off like a coward and told Coach. He was the only direct witness to it, and he has completely escaped any kind of scrutiny as the coward he is. Just amazes me.

McQueary - no excuse.

The janitors more than likely feared for their jobs. And probably felt they wouldn't be believed. They would have been branded by the university as malcontents and dismissed by the authorities. And then dismissed by Penn State.
Not sure I see the distinction, McQueary would be gone and no school in the nation would hire him. In the end, they all failed.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

McQueary was a graduate assistant at the time he witnessed the problem, correct?
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

pfim wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:

McQueary - no excuse.

Not sure I see the distinction, McQueary would be gone and no school in the nation would hire him. In the end, they all failed.
Correct
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

pfim wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:

McQueary - no excuse.

The impact of firing would be more immediate in the case of the janitors. I doubt they made very much.

I'm not really excusing them I guess as much as I understand why they didn't report it. The impact would be much greater and more immediate on them than McQueary. Who will probably write a book about this and make bank...
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

steve784 wrote:Of course the Paterno family has already released a statement. :face:
"This doesn't affect our money or ability to use the facilities we were promised, right?"
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:McQueary was a graduate assistant at the time he witnessed the problem, correct?
Yes. And eventually was hired as to the coaching staff.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

llipgh2 wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:McQueary was a graduate assistant at the time he witnessed the problem, correct?
And the Freeh report couldn't find any evidence that linked his hiring to the coaching staff to him staying quiet on what he saw in 2001.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:
And the Freeh report couldn't find any evidence that linked his hiring to the coaching staff to him staying quiet on what he saw in 2001.
I thought about that, too.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

MRandall25 wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:Maybe the media needs a "culture change". They've been the ones who have dictated the play over the course of this entire thing. No one will think for themselves, media pressure has led to every decision outside of the trial itself.
I'm sure it didn't bother you last year and before when OSU was receiving their bowl ban, etc.
You, having never met me, seem to have a spot-on analysis of what went on in my brain "last year and before when OSU was receiving their bowl ban, etc." Bravo, Freud.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

columbia wrote:
steve784 wrote:
This is my biggest issue with the whole fallout of the whole situation. Any word not completely bashing PSU is a verbal support of pedophilia.
Where are you encountering these people?
Off the top of my head, media talk-show hosts Mark Madden and Chris Mueller, among MANY of my own personal facebook friends and twitter followers, among MANY others here at LGP
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

Idoit40fans wrote:
If they're defending anything regarding to what happened, then it is irrational and brainwashed. If they're defending the handling of the situation in the past few weeks then maybe you're right.
Exactly.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Mr. Colby wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:Maybe the media needs a "culture change". They've been the ones who have dictated the play over the course of this entire thing. No one will think for themselves, media pressure has led to every decision outside of the trial itself.
I'm sure it didn't bother you last year and before when OSU was receiving their bowl ban, etc.
You, having never met me, seem to have a spot-on analysis of what went on in my brain "last year and before when OSU was receiving their bowl ban, etc." Bravo, Freud.
But you didn't care, right?

You only care now because it affects you, no?
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Sarcastic wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:
viva la ben wrote:Penn State sanctions:
10 Scholarships lost
4 Bowl ban
60 million dollar fine
All wins from 1998 onward are vHacated
5 years of probation
It's not unique to this situation, but I never understood the idea of 'vacating' wins. What? So you mean my team did not actually outscore all those other teams on the field on the day? Gotcha.

I know it's a recordation thing, but it still seems really silly to me.
The wins were accomplished by the players, not only by the perverted coach. So when you take away the wins, you punish the players who did nothing and likely knew nothing.
I was surprised by the wins vacated. However, is it really punishing those players ? They know they won the game. The losers know they lost. The only real punishment in that part is to Paterno's legacy.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

MRandall25 wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:

Are you seriously trying to bait me into doing this with you right now? You've never met me once. And it doesn't affect me one bit.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Mr. Colby wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:

Are you seriously trying to bait me into doing this with you right now? You've never met me once. And it doesn't affect me one bit.
No, I'm just asking you a question. Why does it matter what the media does now as opposed to what they've already done previously?
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

MWB wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:
viva la ben wrote:Penn State sanctions:
10 Scholarships lost
4 Bowl ban
60 million dollar fine
All wins from 1998 onward are vHacated
5 years of probation
It's not unique to this situation, but I never understood the idea of 'vacating' wins. What? So you mean my team did not actually outscore all those other teams on the field on the day? Gotcha.

I know it's a recordation thing, but it still seems really silly to me.
The wins were accomplished by the players, not only by the perverted coach. So when you take away the wins, you punish the players who did nothing and likely knew nothing.
I was surprised by the wins vacated. However, is it really punishing those players ? They know they won the game. The losers know they lost. The only real punishment in that part is to Paterno's legacy.
Right. And as Rocco said, it's the NCAA kicking another corpse. None of those wins were obtained illegally. It's not like Paterno even has a legacy anymore to punish. Everyone knows he won 409 college football games fair-and-square. Making the record-book say 298 doesn't change that. And it doesn't damage his 'legacy' any more than it already is.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

MRandall25 wrote: No, I'm just asking you a question. Why does it matter what the media does now as opposed to what they've already done previously?
What? Explain to me what would lead you to asking me that?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

MWB wrote:
Agree with the whole post. I am also surprised about the wins thing, but it has no impact on the players. Their pay checks are not based on their college wins, even if they are still playing. No one goes back and references a player's record as any indication of anything. It is strictly tied to the coach and school for any sort of meaning.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

It does damage his Legacy. 100 years from now the average college football fan is going to look at the books and he isn't going to be on top. If he were, they'd see the winningest coach, they wouldn't associate that with what happened.
Cosmo_kramer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cosmo_kramer »

Arlow wrote:I wouldn't be surprised at all that within the next few days that Penn State announces the cancellation of the 2012 season.
It all depends upon how the next few weeks transpire. For those saying it is unlikely, remember when SMU received the death penalty it was only for a year. They had to cancel for the second year because they could not field a competitive team. The same could very likely happen at Penn State.

The season is almost upon us and Penn State recruiting is likely going to take a hit (one has already decommitted and others are looking elsewhere). Additionally, they could very well lose a high number of freshman and sophomores within the upcoming weeks (domino effect). That could potentially be half the team. The writing is on the wall for these younger players. They will not have an opportunity to play in bowl games, and the team will not be at the level it once enjoyed. If the transferring number is in the high teens to twenties, Penn State could very well not have enough time to field a competitive team this year.

This speaks to an even higher problem for Penn State. If the exodus is high (which logic dictates it will), they will have trouble fielding a competitive team down the road with a scholarship cap at 15 a year. The one analyst that said the team is going to be a team filled of walk-ons was right. The death penalty would have been better if the cards fall the way they could (Penn State would have to cancel multiple seasons).