Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Post by Lt. Dish »

columbia wrote:
canaan wrote: that monument area always should have been dedicated to THON and all of its contributors over the years.
Perfect. They could revamp it to truly highlight that.
I'd love to see that. THON, after all, is "for the kids." Great idea, IMO.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I know people are trying to paint themselves as not a blind minion, but I knew them before the Sandusky stuff came out and thats what most PSU people were like. People that don't like football hung their hats on the football program. Its not a new perception being magnified by recent events.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by The Snapshot »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:"Do their dirty work?" You realize THEY ordered the investigation that led to the Freeh report which the NCAA based their punishments off of? I do agree that Erickson and Co. are spineless if they are taking this lying down.

Also thought it was hilarious when a journalist asked Emmert a question about the character and involvement of Joe Paterno and he said "We will reserve the right to pass judgement until all the criminal proceedings have concluded." So it's too soon to pass judgement but we'll just burn your athletic department anyway.
The "dirty work" was actually acting on the report pro-actively instead of waiting on the NCAA. Had the NCAA not levied any sanctions, I am convinced the BOG of my joke of an alma mater, would have played next year with a smile.

In terms of criminal versus football related penalties, I don't see an issue with acting on the morality of the cover-up now as it pertains to the program.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

pfim wrote:
steve784 wrote:
@DanWetzel

In 2010 Penn State played Ohio State in a game both sides have now vacated.
doesn't make any sense, can't have two teams vacate a win in the same game. Only one team can win and have that win vacated.
NCAA Has determined that Michigan gets the win. :pop:
Arlow
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Arlow »

I wouldn't be surprised at all that within the next few days that Penn State announces the cancellation of the 2012 season.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

Arlow wrote:I wouldn't be surprised at all that within the next few days that Penn State announces the cancellation of the 2012 season.
lolololol. Will never happen
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

Arlow wrote:I wouldn't be surprised at all that within the next few days that Penn State announces the cancellation of the 2012 season.
I would be stunned. It would've made sense last week. Not now.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

Emmert is a complete moron. The guy was flat-out asked where the payment was coming from, and he had the balls to stand there with a straight face and say that the money can't come at the expense of the other athletic programs. Where do you think the money for those programs comes from in the first place? Fencing? Gone. Lacrosse? Gone. Swimming? gone. These kids should be able to leave without penalty too, because they are getting royally screwed.

An NCAA President without an understanding of basic economics. Wonderful.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

I am enjoying these whiny Penn State students ESPN was interviewing.

"Thats too much money"
"Thats too many years to be banned from bowl games"
"How can they punish us and the players. We didnt do anything"
"Thats too many Wins to vacate"
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I have a question. Mike McQueary is the only one throughout this entire 13 year episode that actually witnessed a crime taking place. Why in God's name is he not in prison? Or named in the Freeh report? Or investigated in the Freeh report? Or bashed in the media?
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

shafnutz05 wrote:I have a question. Mike McQueary is the only one throughout this entire 13 year episode that actually witnessed a crime taking place. Why in God's name is he not in prison? Or named in the Freeh report? Or investigated in the Freeh report? Or bashed in the media?
Ironically enough, Joe Paterno's last win came with Mike McQueary as his starting QB.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

shafnutz05 wrote:I have a question. Mike McQueary is the only one throughout this entire 13 year episode that actually witnessed a crime taking place. Why in God's name is he not in prison? Or named in the Freeh report? Or investigated in the Freeh report? Or bashed in the media?
I have a similar question. In the Freeh report he spoke of janitors witnessing the acts as well, and all agreeing that they'd be fired if they reported it so they were scared. Are they under any sort of legal trouble for not going to the police?
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

Maybe the media needs a "culture change". They've been the ones who have dictated the play over the course of this entire thing. No one will think for themselves, media pressure has led to every decision outside of the trial itself.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I agree with all of that.

Bigger fish to fry, I guess. Though he and the janitor (while they should have gone to the SC police) had no ability to affect change, in relation to Sandusky's continued presence.

Since more stories will probably come out from victims, I bet there will be (silent) people out there, who have to face that they too witnessed something. There's no way that Sandusky could have operated all of those years, without more people knowing that something was going on.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I mean seriously. McQueary was the only one that actually caught Sandusky in the process of completely violating a child and he ran off like a coward and told Coach. He was the only direct witness to it, and he has completely escaped any kind of scrutiny as the coward he is. Just amazes me.

Edit: And allegedly the janitors too.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

Everything PSU and the NCAA done has been in for the purpose of CYA. Bunch of invertebrates.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

@ Columbia: "Bigger fish to fry". That's what this whole damn thing has become about, frying the big fish. That's why the #1 name in the whole thing is Paterno.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

DudeMan2766 wrote:
I have a similar question. In the Freeh report he spoke of janitors witnessing the acts as well, and all agreeing that they'd be fired if they reported it so they were scared. Are they under any sort of legal trouble for not going to the police?
Janitors weren't considered a person required to report a crime such as this under the way the law was written. So legally they did nothing wrong by not reporting it. And technically only one janitor saw it and relayed what he saw to another janitor.
Arlow
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Arlow »

DudeMan2766 wrote:I am enjoying these whiny Penn State students ESPN was interviewing.

"Thats too much money"
"Thats too many years to be banned from bowl games"
"How can they punish us and the players. We didnt do anything"
"Thats too many Wins to vacate"
I guess you're right. They should be happy with the ruling.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

Punishing the university is stupid. NCAA has no business being involved. And justifying it by saying "the football program ran the school" is a cop-out.

PSU should not have agreed to accept any and all discipline. If they did it to make themselves look good, they failed. They already look irreparably bad. Time heals all wounds. Even this one. All the hated individuals are gone. Public outcry would have worn off faster than you think. Now they're going to be hampered (the university AND the football team) for far longer.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

shafnutz05 wrote:I mean seriously. McQueary was the only one that actually caught Sandusky in the process of completely violating a child and he ran off like a coward and told Coach. He was the only direct witness to it, and he has completely escaped any kind of scrutiny as the coward he is. Just amazes me.

Edit: And allegedly the janitors too.
Those guys are far from blameless. But spanier shultz curley and paterno were the powerful men in the room. Guys with statues and buildings and titles like president and vice president generally take more blame than some janitor that is scared for his job. We all know that the janitors and support staff at big public institutions aren't exactly well paid or well educated. They aren't well paid and arent endowed with a lot of responsability and arent decorated as great men like the main men in the scandal.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Mr. Colby »

And anyone who defends PSU gets an unfair label. The "general public" and the media is unable to separate people with legitimate defenses from the truly brainwashed PSU football folk. They label anyone that says anything to the defense of PSU as "irrational" or "brainwashed" or "just another stupid Penn State fan"
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Mr. Colby wrote:Maybe the media needs a "culture change". They've been the ones who have dictated the play over the course of this entire thing. No one will think for themselves, media pressure has led to every decision outside of the trial itself.
I'm sure it didn't bother you last year and before when OSU was receiving their bowl ban, etc.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

Mr. Colby wrote:And anyone who defends PSU gets an unfair label. The "general public" and the media is unable to separate people with legitimate defenses from the truly brainwashed PSU football folk. They label anyone that says anything to the defense of PSU as "irrational" or "brainwashed" or "just another stupid Penn State fan"
This is my biggest issue with the whole fallout of the whole situation. Any word not completely bashing PSU is a verbal support of pedophilia.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

steve784 wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:And anyone who defends PSU gets an unfair label. The "general public" and the media is unable to separate people with legitimate defenses from the truly brainwashed PSU football folk. They label anyone that says anything to the defense of PSU as "irrational" or "brainwashed" or "just another stupid Penn State fan"
This is my biggest issue with the whole fallout of the whole situation. Any word not completely bashing PSU is a verbal support of pedophilia.
Where are you encountering these people?