Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Post by shafnutz05 »

PensFanInDC wrote:Taking scholarships away? Bad

Everything else? Not enough
lol, what in the world are you talking about? Did you see the list of penalties? The institution has gotten hit hard with this. The parties involved are either dead or facing criminal prosecution. I'm very curious to see what punishment you would have preferred. Closing the school?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

pfim wrote:
Rylan wrote:Wait how? Shouldn't there only be 1 winner?
The NCAA can do as it pleases, apparently. Two winners from each game. Everyone gets a trophy and orange wedges at halftime.
I missed having orange wedges at half time when I played in high school. :(
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

shafnutz05 wrote:

lol, what in the world are you talking about? Did you see the list of penalties? The institution has gotten hit hard with this. The parties involved are either dead or facing criminal prosecution. I'm very curious to see what punishment you would have preferred. Closing the school?
I think the only out of line punishment was vacating the wins....The rest seemed about right.
But, whatever, it's none of my business.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by The Snapshot »

Seriously?

One year of a self-imposed death penalty may have headed off any further sanctions of the program other than financial. The NCAA effectively killed PSU for 8-10 years with these. Not that I care, because I am done with PSU based on their inaction.

Had they acted, it would have been unprecedented and most likely immediately restored the name of a supposed "honorable" institution. They chose to take the easy way out and let someone else do their dirty work. What it did was cripple both a University and a football team for who knows how long.

Playing in 2013-2014 would have been easier than limping through the next decade now.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

columbia wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:

I think the only out of line punishment was vacating the wins....The rest seemed about right.
But, whatever, it's none of my business.
Yea, I share the same line of thinking. No idea how you can say that "it's not enough", considering the parties that were actually complicit in this are probably going to go to jail. Reminding everyone that CHILD RAPE occurred doesn't make that any different.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

newarenanow wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:Just my opinion, but I don't think the school's win/loss record should have anything to do with what happened. To me this is a criminal case, nothing to do with the school's football program and whatever accomplishments it produced.
I'm kind of torn. In a way, I see what you are saying, but in another way, the sole reason they covered it up was to protect the FB program.
So, doesn't the NCAA have to argue that protecting the program afforded PSU a competitive advantage over its opponents on the field? That implies an assumption that "not protecting the program," and whatever that would've entailed, would've hindered PSU's competitiveness. I'm not convinced a sound argument could be made for that; it would all be retroactive hypothesizing and speculation. I'm not at all challenging anyone, nor am I necessarily questioning the sanctions here; I'm just asking.

Personally, I couldn't care less about Paterno's legacy. TBH, when I heard about the vacated wins, I first thought of all those student athletes who played in all those 111 games and how their experience, commitment, effort, and fruits of their work have been symbolically (or veritably) vaporized. I admit I didn't think of the true victims of the crimes in this matter, because I don't see what additional justice they gain, and, for them, justice and support in (re)building productive lives are my primary concerns.

On a random side note: I wonder about Sue Paterno. She must feel her husband has died all over again. I'm a wife, myself, and I'm just trying to empathize.

(I'm not comparing any party's loss, devastation, or feelings. As an alumna, I think my hurt is inconsequential, although I'll never forgive these 4 men. I never thought I could be someone who could never forgive. Maybe that will change.)

Thanks for your time, everyone. :cry:
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Hypothetical:

One of the scholarship players decides that he really doesn't have the heart to continue to play football at PSU, but really wants to finish his degree there.
Would PSU honor the scholarship? They would have no obligation to do so, but it would seem to be the right thing to do.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

Dan Wetzel ‏@DanWetzel
NCAA 9am: We must change culture of college football! NCAA noon: Welcome the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl!
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

That fine money best be going to charity or else I will insanely disappointed in the NCAA.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

"Do their dirty work?" You realize THEY ordered the investigation that led to the Freeh report which the NCAA based their punishments off of? I do agree that Erickson and Co. are spineless if they are taking this lying down.

Also thought it was hilarious when a journalist asked Emmert a question about the character and involvement of Joe Paterno and he said "We will reserve the right to pass judgement until all the criminal proceedings have concluded." So it's too soon to pass judgement but we'll just burn your athletic department anyway.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Rylan wrote:That fine money best be going to charity or else I will insanely disappointed in the NCAA.
It is, Rylan, to organizations, nationwide, whose missions are to be committed to helping victims of sexual abuse.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Lt. Dish wrote:
Rylan wrote:That fine money best be going to charity or else I will insanely disappointed in the NCAA.
It is, Rylan, to organizations, nationwide, whose missions are to be committed to helping victims of sexual abuse.
Alright thanks. I have not read anything about this aside from what the penalties were.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by King Sid the Great 87 »

shafnutz05 wrote:Ok, so there were three different instances here where I asserted that Penn State would not receive the death penalty, and I was correct. I guess thanks for proving me right?

lol, you even quoted me here:
The loss of scholarships/bowl games/TV coverage will set the program back some years (which is perfectly fine), but the death penalty dreamers are going to be sorely disappointed.
How in the WORLD was that "wrong", as you tried to point out before? Get some reading comprehension and come back and see me.
You are really going to argue semantics? You were the one who said this is worse than the death penalty, and now you are going to pretend what you meant when you said that they wouldn't get the death penalty was that it could be either more or less? Of course, the loss of scholarships/bowl games was fine to you up until it happened, but now it's worse than the death penalty. Must be the fines that have your bowels in knots.

You should go into politics.
Last edited by King Sid the Great 87 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

This is a pretty haunting image:

Penn State could convert that area to a place to honor the public service of their many former football players, who have undoubtedly gone on to distinguished work in helping others.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

King Sid the Great 87 wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Ok, so there were three different instances here where I asserted that Penn State would not receive the death penalty, and I was correct. I guess thanks for proving me right?

lol, you even quoted me here:
The loss of scholarships/bowl games/TV coverage will set the program back some years (which is perfectly fine), but the death penalty dreamers are going to be sorely disappointed.
How in the WORLD was that "wrong", as you tried to point out before? Get some reading comprehension and come back and see me.
You are really going to argue semantics? You were the one who said this is worse than the death penalty, and now you are going to pretend what you meant when you said that they wouldn't get the death penalty was that it could be either more or less? Of course, the loss of scholarships/bowl and bowl games was fine to you up until it happened, but now it's worse than the death penalty. Must be the fines that have your bowels in knots.

Ehh, who cares?

Take the "I was right, you were wrongs" somewhere else.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

What? There is no gray area here. He explicitly said that anyone who was hoping for the death penalty was going to be disappointed.
Last edited by Idoit40fans on Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

King Sid the Great 87 wrote:You are really going to argue semantics? You were the one who said this is worse than the death penalty, and now you are going to pretend what you meant when you said that they wouldn't get the death penalty was that it could be either more or less? Of course, the loss of scholarships/bowl games was fine to you up until it happened, but now it's worse than the death penalty. Must be the fines that have your bowels in knots.

Again, what in the world are you talking about? It is worse than the death penalty. Just because they will be fielding a team the next four years doesn't make it better than the alternative. When did I say the sanctions weren't "fine"? I have said since 9 AM this morning that everything but the vacating of wins was warranted.

I'm not arguing semantics, I'm telling you exactly what I said. *READ THE POST THAT YOU QUOTED* Penn State was willing to accept sanctions, but was not going to accept the death penalty being a part of the equation. As it turns out, what they got was probably worse than a one year death penalty. How are my "bowels in knots", exactly?

I seriously have no idea what you are arguing with me about right now.
Last edited by shafnutz05 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

columbia wrote:This is a pretty haunting image:

Penn State could convert that area to a place to honor the public service of their many former football players, who have undoubtedly gone on to distinguished work in helping others.
that monument area always should have been dedicated to THON and all of its contributors over the years.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:"Do their dirty work?" You realize THEY ordered the investigation that led to the Freeh report which the NCAA based their punishments off of? I do agree that Erickson and Co. are spineless if they are taking this lying down.

Also thought it was hilarious when a journalist asked Emmert a question about the character and involvement of Joe Paterno and he said "We will reserve the right to pass judgement until all the criminal proceedings have concluded." So it's too soon to pass judgement but we'll just burn your athletic department anyway.

I'm still really steamed at PSU rolling over and allowing media all over the country to shred the school, ignore its academic reputation, and label it as nothing but a football factory, and every single student as a blind, Stepford-like minion complicit in the football culture. But, that's ages ago in this saga.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

The Snapshot wrote:

Seriously?

One year of a self-imposed death penalty may have headed off any further sanctions of the program other than financial. The NCAA effectively killed PSU for 8-10 years with these. Not that I care, because I am done with PSU based on their inaction.

Had they acted, it would have been unprecedented and most likely immediately restored the name of a supposed "honorable" institution. They chose to take the easy way out and let someone else do their dirty work. What it did was cripple both a University and a football team for who knows how long.

Playing in 2013-2014 would have been easier than limping through the next decade now.
The NCAA was coming in for their pound of flesh regardless of what PSU did.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

canaan wrote: that monument area always should have been dedicated to THON and all of its contributors over the years.
Perfect. They could revamp it to truly highlight that.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

Rylan wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:
Alright thanks. I have not read anything about this aside from what the penalties were.
You're welcome. I should've mentioned that Emmert mentioned it in his statement this morning.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

columbia wrote:
canaan wrote: that monument area always should have been dedicated to THON and all of its contributors over the years.
Perfect. They could revamp it to truly highlight that.
i can only hope.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Lt. Dish wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:"Do their dirty work?" You realize THEY ordered the investigation that led to the Freeh report which the NCAA based their punishments off of? I do agree that Erickson and Co. are spineless if they are taking this lying down.

I'm still really steamed at PSU rolling over and allowing media all over the country to shred the school, ignore its academic reputation, and label it as nothing but a football factory, and every single student as a blind, Stepford-like minion complicit in the football culture. But, that's ages ago in this saga.
I don't even care about PSU and this annoys me.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

Considering they are ranked numero UNO in graduating football players I laughed when Emmert said we need to start focusing on academics. The whole thing is just ludicrous. It's easy not to see the little things when it isn't your school being ripped to shreds in the spotlight, but the entire conference was filled with flagrant hypocrisy.