Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Post by jimjom »

I just referred to Keller's restaurant as a person. Lol too lazy to use edit on phone.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

jimjom wrote:I went to Mesa Grill last time in Vegas. Not that Flay should be mentioned in the same breath as Keller and Bouchon. Going back in December, may try Gordon Ramsey's place.

Has anyone ever been to Battistas or Ellis Island in LV? A couple of my off the beaten path favorites. Oh and Bill's has a good steak house.

Top Chef Masters this Wed! Woot! Should I start a thread?
Sure.

Hopefully it ends less rigged than the last 2 though. Floyd winning last season was a joke (He should have gone home the week before and he conveniently was the only chef to have not won any money for his charity up to that point) and although I respect Marcus Samuelson, I couldn't help but feel the entire ending of that season was staged with the Critic complaining incessantly about his meal and then awarding 5 stars... which just happened to be enough to win. Okay.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

jimjom wrote:I went to Mesa Grill last time in Vegas.
We ate there the weekend of the one and only Champ Car race in downtown LV. Whoever ran our credit card skimmed it and we had like $600 worth of fraudulent charges pop up on the thing within 36 hours. (It was obvious someone from Mesa did it; that was the only place we used that card in LV that weekend, and all the charges were at places in LV and after the night of our dinner.) I still remember the New Mexico spiced pork tenderloin I had, and my wife still talks about the 16-spice chicken.

Flay is by no means a bad cook. He's just a complete dooshwaddle.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

[quote="tifosi77"]We are the first state-wide ban of the product in the U.S. (*high five*), and it's completely stupid. Ducks and geese raised for foie are among the best tended to animals in the world of food production. They are hand-fed, for crying out loud. Chickens that grow up to become McNuggets live in absolutely horrific and unsanitary conditions, yet no one is banning that nonsense. But because foie is a luxury item of the 1%ers (and it's French.....) it's low-hanging fruit for some cheap political points.

I think it will be overturned within two years.[/quote]

Not sure about that, in a state where cities outlaw plastic bags, allow public nudity and fleece the tax-payer as they plan to build a high speed train from Fresno to Modesto. Probably pretty low on the priority list to most non-cooks.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

BigMcK wrote:.....they plan to build a high speed train from Fresno to Modesto.
For you non-Californians, that's the broad equivalent of building a high-speed rail line from Slippery Rock to DuBois.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

tifosi77 wrote:
jimjom wrote:I went to Mesa Grill last time in Vegas.
We ate there the weekend of the one and only Champ Car race in downtown LV. Whoever ran our credit card skimmed it and we had like $600 worth of fraudulent charges pop up on the thing within 36 hours. (It was obvious someone from Mesa did it; that was the only place we used that card in LV that weekend, and all the charges were at places in LV and after the night of our dinner.) I still remember the New Mexico spiced pork tenderloin I had, and my wife still talks about the 16-spice chicken.

Flay is by no means a bad cook. He's just a complete dooshwaddle.
We went for lunch and had pretty good service. I was going for the pork but went with the burger instead which I know I could have had at any Bobby's Burger Palace but I don't know where any of those are. My wife had the chile relleno, it was delicious and the burger was great too. That sucks about your card, Tif, hopefully they caught the person and fired them/prosecuted them.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

Made banging turkey burgers last night: cumin, freshly thyme, jalapeño, red pepper, shallot, garlic, tabasco, and Montreal steak seasoning mixed in with the meat and topped with pepper jack cheese and bacon
sj?
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by sj? »

Chopped has casting call out for amateur Chefs.. It would be cool to see some LGP chefs on show :fist:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/chopped/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nuge
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Nuge »

tifosi77 wrote:
BigMcK wrote:.....they plan to build a high speed train from Fresno to Modesto.
For you non-Californians, that's the broad equivalent of building a high-speed rail line from Slippery Rock to DuBois.
That wouldve been really beneficial to a ton of my friends about 8 years ago lol.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

My fiancees mom is getting into canning. She canned chicken and pork and made some pickles.

I had no idea you could can chicken or pork
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

mac5155 wrote:My fiancees mom is getting into canning. She canned chicken and pork and made some pickles.

Why yes, you CAN do that.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

jimjom wrote:
mac5155 wrote:My fiancees mom is getting into canning. She canned chicken and pork and made some pickles.

Why yes, you CAN do that.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Gaining experience and inspiration from the following magazines. Are there any others that you amazing cooks recommend and read?

Saveur, Bon Appetit, Cooking Light, Cooks Country.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Food & Wine and Saveur are the only two cooking magazines I subscribe to. The former is the big name publication that sponsors all the best food events in the country, but the magazine can sometimes be 50% adverts for wineries and travel destinations. But those are honestly the only two I'd recommend spending money on. YMMV.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by BigMcK »

Not to talk TV, but has anyone seen The Culinary Adventures of Baron Ambrosia on Cooking Channel? Saw an episode a couple weeks ago and hadn't enjoyed a TV show on food like that in a long time. Strange comedy show with food. it was also after a nice dinner and a great bottle of Mourvedre
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Hate to be the naysayer, but I saw one episode and wanted to sue for that 30 mins of my life back. I would say it is one of the worst shows I've ever seen.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I had some suspect looking grocery store sushi for lunch and am regretting it.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

the wicked child wrote:Hate to be the naysayer, but I saw one episode and wanted to sue for that 30 mins of my life back. I would say it is one of the worst shows I've ever seen.
it is absolutely terrible. its a crap concept by some underground new york tool.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by BigMcK »

canaan wrote:
the wicked child wrote:Hate to be the naysayer, but I saw one episode and wanted to sue for that 30 mins of my life back. I would say it is one of the worst shows I've ever seen.
it is absolutely terrible. its a crap concept by some underground new york tool.
So, sober makes the difference. Gotcha. However, it was showing Indian Fry Bread, which I love, so that probably helped.

Gonna blame the wine on this.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

BigMcK wrote:
canaan wrote:
So, sober makes the difference. Gotcha. However, it was showing Indian Fry Bread, which I love, so that probably helped.

Gonna blame the wine on this.
im pretty open to off the wall concepts and gave this 2 episodes..the second of which i turned off 10 minutes in. i failed to see any redeeming qualities. The food he was talking about seemed really interesting but he always had some shtick that he was forcing down my throat and didnt focus on the food. thats why its on the food network's minor league channel.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

It struck me as taking the old show "The secret life of...", only they inserted a complete tool bag as the host and made one unfunny/awkward joke after another.

Really, the only way it could have been worse is if they got Carrot Top or Tom Green to host it.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Speaking of decidedly not good eats, 2 of my co-workers got rotten tomatoes on their burgers @ Wendy's today. Much to my horror, they just took them off and kept eating. I would have hurled.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Baron Ambrosia is entertainng. He is also a graduate of Pitt's film school.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

viva la ben wrote:Baron Ambrosia is entertainng. He is also a graduate of Pitt's film school.
I've seen all of the episodes - well, parts of all until I get dizzy from the frantic pace of the show and camera cuts and close ups of the Baron smirking and squinting.

I found last week's episode with the fry bread entertaining though and I must say: I loled.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

so the fiance (still have a tough time remembering to type that...) and I got the full box of veggies this week as the couple we normally share it with is out of town. Decided to knock out a bunch of the veggies in one shot tonight. Here's what I did:

1 large zucchini diced into about 1/4 inch cubes
1 pattypan squash diced the same
2 diced jimmy nardello sweet peppers
all sauteed in a bit of olive oil until about half cooked on high heat, added about 1 tsp of garlic and turned down the heat and added 2 diced large tomatoes and about 8 leaves of basil. seasoned with italian seasoning, salt, pepper, paprika, and onion powder. after the diced tomatoes were in there for about 4 minutes and the seasonings were mixed in, sprinkle a little mozzarella cheese over the top (minimal is best) and then let it sit. we had it with some grilled chicken with the same seasonings as the veggie mix. it was delicious.

PFiDC, this is a good one for your gluten free diet.