Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Post by Malkamaniac »

Rocco wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:You're delusional if you think this doesn't negatively impact the students. You're right, it's not all about football, but guess where all sixty million dollars is going to come from? It will kill other sports, and severly damage the academics of the school.
NCAA already said in the conference that PSU can't hurt other things, and must keep all of them going.
All of those other sports get money from football. The NCAA has napalmed the non-revenue sports as well.
He said it directly in the conference that they understand what this does and that PSU has to keep them going by other means(pay for it)
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Malkamaniac wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:You're delusional if you think this doesn't negatively impact the students. You're right, it's not all about football, but guess where all sixty million dollars is going to come from? It will kill other sports, and severly damage the academics of the school.
NCAA already said in the conference that PSU can't hurt other things, and must keep all of them going.
Sure they can. They can shut down all athletics.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

Rocco wrote:
I don't think they "had" to do anything. They chose not to fight it so they can get it over with.
Well, that's what I meant obviously.
DropEmJayBird
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by DropEmJayBird »

I don't see how having a sub par football team for a few years is a punishment to anyone (or the innocent). If the kids don't want to play football for a free education at Penn State - they have been given the opportunity to play football for a free education somewhere else.... that's about the height of "punishment against the innocent", and they have a very easy escape.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

I wonder how TV will treat the games and the sure fire signs that people will have supporting Joepa and panning the punishments.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

Pavel Bure wrote:I wonder how TV will treat the games and the sure fire signs that people will have supporting Joepa and panning the punishments.
TV may not be an issue.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

ulf wrote:My PSU friends are mad this happened without an official investigation. They used the investigation that PSU paid for.. Do they really want another one, that wasn't paid for by the school receiving the penalties?
They are blaming the BOT and Erickson for bending over and taking it. What would the BOT gain from fighting this?

Lost in all this is the fact that Emmert reserved the right to additional sanctions based on new info coming out in the purjury trials.
This could be far from over.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

pfim wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:I wonder how TV will treat the games and the sure fire signs that people will have supporting Joepa and panning the punishments.
TV may not be an issue.
I'm looking forward to PCN's pre and post-game coverage.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

Malkamaniac wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:
All of those other sports get money from football. The NCAA has napalmed the non-revenue sports as well.
He said it directly in the conference that they understand what this does and that PSU has to keep them going by other means(pay for it)
There's no way you can hurt the main financial feeder and not hurt the other athletic programs.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Another thing I see is speculation about if Curley and Shultz are found not guilty.....well I hear OJ is still looking for the real killers.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Rocco wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:
There's no way you can hurt the main financial feeder and not hurt the other athletic programs.
True, Emmertt said PSU must cover the cost without hurting the academic side as well.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

What scares me is these were done from emotions. No process, no NCAA investigation, just Emmert pounding his gavel, to hell with the rest of the committee. What happens when new information, good or bad, comes out in the Curly/Schultz trial?

There is no way these will go down as well thought out sanctions.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

shafnutz05 wrote:
pfim wrote:
TV may not be an issue.
I'm looking forward to PCN's pre and post-game coverage.
instead of 60 minutes beginning directly after the conclusion of the game without interruption, we wont miss the Beet growers competition from the 2007 PA State fair in harrisburg.
MelicharSux
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by MelicharSux »

The last official JoePa win now Nov. 1997 vs. Wisc.

His starting quarterback? Mike McQueary
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

rocco,

as a man of the legal realm, and as a man of the sports realm, you dont seem to think that the ncaa has the right to penalize the athletic department for ignoring a pedophile. but how can anyone take the ncaa seriously if they just shrug their shoulders and say "hey, it aint our job to punish penn state, just go ahead, fill the 105k seats and get on with it"? how can any ncaa program be ok with those wierdo sanctions that boise state got for those european players if penn state gets caught in the biggest college sports scandal in history and not face any punishment?

kenny the kangaroo is asking this from both a legal and emotional standpoint
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

Spencer Hall writes better than I could dream of being able to write:

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2 ... t-reaction" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I would instead like them to admit what they're doing: stabbing a corpse, and then demanding some public recognition of their ersatz bravery. I would like them to admit they are seizing a horrific moment in time to advance their own fartgassy agenda, and then demanding credit for it. They will burn an effigy after the courts have already done the hard work of humanity.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

So what about this $60 million fine? Where is this money going? Just curious, seems like a bit of a payoff. It's one thing to prohibit an athletic department from profiting from bowl games, TV appearances etc. It's quite another to demand cash.
DropEmJayBird
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by DropEmJayBird »

I have a serious question because I honestly don't know.

If Penn State can still play football - still sell tickets - by how much is the revenue stream that people are talking about really affected? I mean to the point that people are saying Penn State is going to take a huge devastating financial hit. If they are still playing home games - is it that they just won't be winning as often that people are considering to be a huge financial burden on the University and it's programs?
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

From a friend on Facebook:
So Joe lost his winningest coaching record to Bobby Bowden, but he passed him right up in vacated wins.

Back on top.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

viva la ben wrote:
ulf wrote:My PSU friends are mad this happened without an official investigation. They used the investigation that PSU paid for.. Do they really want another one, that wasn't paid for by the school receiving the penalties?
They are blaming the BOT and Erickson for bending over and taking it. What would the BOT gain from fighting this?

Lost in all this is the fact that Emmert reserved the right to additional sanctions based on new info coming out in the purjury trials.
This could be far from over.
That's weird, i didn't know you knew my friends. They weren't blaming Erickson or the BOT when i talked to them.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

That's about a year of football revenue. I saw that this was to be paid over 5 years and to go to a child abuse organization.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

DropEmJayBird wrote:I have a serious question because I honestly don't know.

If Penn State can still play football - still sell tickets - by how much is the revenue stream that people are talking about really affected? I mean to the point that people are saying Penn State is going to take a huge devastating financial hit. If they are still playing home games - is it that they just won't be winning as often that people are considering to be a huge financial burden on the University and it's programs?
If they can't participate in bowls, I doubt they will receive a share of the Big 10 bowl money. That will be significant.

If they can't participate in meaningful football games, eventually they will stop selling out the stadium.

Yet to see if the Big 10 will remove television money from them too.

Just the tip of the iceberg, I'm sure I can think of more.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

I dunno, the NCAA is kind of hurting itself with this as well. How many Penn State fans are there around the country that are going to simply stop caring about the sport? Basically the entire city of Philly has nothing else to latch on to for Saturdays in the fall. I don't care about the sport anymore, and I could theoretically watch and go to Pitt games.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

This made me laugh from a comment on an article I was reading:
Penn State’s punishment should be to join the Big East.
DropEmJayBird
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by DropEmJayBird »

pfim wrote:
DropEmJayBird wrote:I have a serious question because I honestly don't know.

If they can't participate in bowls, I doubt they will receive a share of the Big 10 bowl money. That will be significant.

If they can't participate in meaningful football games, eventually they will stop selling out the stadium.

Yet to see if the Big 10 will remove television money from them too.

Just the tip of the iceberg, I'm sure I can think of more.
Okay - so basically then any sanctions for any football program can pretty much be taken off the table then simply because it's going to affect the innocent at the university in terms of the finances, especially post season bans.