Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Post by Lt. Dish »

columbia wrote:500?

It was hard to tell on the tube.

According to the media, there were several thousand at the riot, which rivaled Rodney King and the Vancouver Game 7, and several hundred at the vigil the next night.

I'm exaggerating because I enjoy taking jabs at the media's penchant toward overwrought, sensational, hyperbolic reportage. Really, I think it's serious stuff in how it can undermine discourse by misleading and inciting people to shoot first, ask questions later. (BTW, I'm not making light of the Rodney King and Vancouver riots.)

Aside: Two French words in one post. Sorry.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Update: Two reports about Paterno statue removal vote have been refuted by Board of Trustees members. http://t.co/2tJWWS2D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -- Onward State (@OnwardState)
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

O come on... The truth about the Penn State "riot" is somewhere in-between.

It wasn't just 200 kids on the street causing trouble, but it wasn't Rodney King part 2.

Based on my fb statuses I knew a ton of kids there posting about it / talked to some who were there.. It was very well attended / pretty huge, but it was 99% of kids chanting "WE ARE...." or "JOE PA, JOE PA.." etc.. With a few kids actually doing damage. ESPN then zooms in on the kids causing destruction / then zooms out to show huge crowd so it looks like that massive crowd is all doing this

I was in Pittsburgh after Steelers beat Arizona in SB. It was fun. It was tons of people chanting "HERE WE GO STEELERS.." / almost just like a fun harmless party in the streets. I saw a couple idiots (like 2 or 3) cause some random unnecessary damage. Police came in streets and people just backed down, couple idiots tried to run past them and were arrested. Overall I'd be comfortable saying at least 99.5% of people there weren't doing anything wrong.. I turn on KDKA and its zoom ins of couple idiots doing damage / then zoom out of massive amount of people.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

http://www.theonion.com/articles/additi ... ent,28842/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lol
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
I dont really follow. Child abuse, Sandusky or not the community still benefits the same in State College or wherever there is big time college football. Cities benefit deeply from sports teams (more than people even think). Like it or not but these crimes did not change anything about the about the fans, players or surrounding businesses. If they dont commit these crimes NOTHING would have been different. 100,000 still would have shown up on Saturdays.

I just dont think its a fair argument to say the area benefited from an organization that was doing these crimes because it simplifies it down to an elementary argument. I mean I went to a college and I went to Division 1 football games all the time. I am NO different than any one student at PSU. Many athletes play at different schools for the same reason kids at PSU do.

Dumbing it down to LIFE ISNT FAIR. CHILDREN OF DRUG DEALERS blah blah is bs because those are people directly involved in the life and all aspects of the criminal act and it is crappy luck. However, a better example in relation to PSU would be - "my dad was convicted of dealing drugs so he went to prison, instead of sending me to a foster home they made sure I never had another dad again because I was associated and ate food he payed with drug money even though I had no idea he was drug dealer and just showed up to eat dinner every night at 7".

Finally - if you think all of the businesses would be fine without PSU football you have no idea about the economics surrounding sports or the shear volume of cash surrounding 100,000 plus visitors to basically a farmland. It would have a monster effect. Games, tv rights, all those jobs at the stadiums, full time staffers at PSU, month of training camp, spring practices, admins, support staff, part time workers, hotels, beer distributors, local hot dog distributors, gas stations, TAXES on 100,000 tickets (btw even if its a dollar per ticket that is almost a million dollars per year in lost revenue for the town and I am sure its more than that), luxury box taxes, taxes for the area on salaries, coaches salaries (how many millions is that?), sales people, cleaning staff, sponsorships not just to PSU but local TV stations, radio stations, radio broadcasts, local staffers for all broadcasts, parking tax, beer tax, food tax, restaurant tax, rental car tax, students who dont go to PSU could mean teachers laid of (big time sports is a reason for a lot of kids to pick a school), bars and beer distributors for AWAY games and bowl games.

Take 100,000 and times it by $10,then $20, then $30, then $40 then $50 - take that number then times it by 6 or 7 and look at the effect this could have on the economy. Think about how much money you spend at a pro game? Then think about how much cash you would spend if you traveled for a weekend for a game? Think about how much money you spend on a Saturday afternoon game and afterwards at a bar. That is PSU.

Will it kills the area - NO. Will have a huge negative effect - if you dont think so you are only lying to yourself.

I hate Paterno for what he did. And the other schmucks too. And of course Sandusky. They can all rot rot rot in hell. But I refuse to want to punish a student body, athletes or businesses for their crimes.
Not following and not agreeing are not the same thing.

Not going to argue semantics, but continued reverence and preferential treatment for the football program on the basis of income is the root cause of the cover-up and its success. Your math is a little faulty, but I understand what you're trying to articulate.

I will go to State College without football to spend time with my family, who has season tickets for PSU football and a condo off of Fox Hollow Road. Taking the program down for a year or two will not end those traditions for us, and we would be at the first game back.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

[quote="IanMoran"]O come on... The truth about the Penn State "riot" is somewhere in-between.

Spot on.

Based on my fb statuses I knew a ton of kids there posting about it / talked to some who were there.. It was very well attended / pretty huge, but it was 99% of kids chanting "WE ARE...." or "JOE PA, JOE PA.." etc.. With a few kids actually doing damage. ESPN then zooms in on the kids causing destruction / then zooms out to show huge crowd so it looks like that massive crowd is all doing this

And the ESPN guy is looking for the drunkest possible kid to attempt to string 3 words together on national TV, jams the mike in his face, asksa leading question about Joe, and gets exactly what he was hoping for... :( Oh, kid.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Looks like the statue is coming.coming down.

Crews begin to put blue tarp on the newly-erected fences around the Joe Paterno statue. http://t.co/OmclJpbi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (via @traviswjohnson_) -- Onward State (@OnwardState)
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

It's official.

Statement from Pres. Rodney Erickson: I have decided that it is in the best interest of our Univ. and public safety to remove the statue & store it in a secure location -- Onward State (@OnwardState)
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Good
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by BurghersAndDogsSports »

Pitt87 wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
I dont really follow. Child abuse, Sandusky or not the community still benefits the same in State College or wherever there is big time college football. Cities benefit deeply from sports teams (more than people even think). Like it or not but these crimes did not change anything about the about the fans, players or surrounding businesses. If they dont commit these crimes NOTHING would have been different. 100,000 still would have shown up on Saturdays.

I just dont think its a fair argument to say the area benefited from an organization that was doing these crimes because it simplifies it down to an elementary argument. I mean I went to a college and I went to Division 1 football games all the time. I am NO different than any one student at PSU. Many athletes play at different schools for the same reason kids at PSU do.

Dumbing it down to LIFE ISNT FAIR. CHILDREN OF DRUG DEALERS blah blah is bs because those are people directly involved in the life and all aspects of the criminal act and it is crappy luck. However, a better example in relation to PSU would be - "my dad was convicted of dealing drugs so he went to prison, instead of sending me to a foster home they made sure I never had another dad again because I was associated and ate food he payed with drug money even though I had no idea he was drug dealer and just showed up to eat dinner every night at 7".

Finally - if you think all of the businesses would be fine without PSU football you have no idea about the economics surrounding sports or the shear volume of cash surrounding 100,000 plus visitors to basically a farmland. It would have a monster effect. Games, tv rights, all those jobs at the stadiums, full time staffers at PSU, month of training camp, spring practices, admins, support staff, part time workers, hotels, beer distributors, local hot dog distributors, gas stations, TAXES on 100,000 tickets (btw even if its a dollar per ticket that is almost a million dollars per year in lost revenue for the town and I am sure its more than that), luxury box taxes, taxes for the area on salaries, coaches salaries (how many millions is that?), sales people, cleaning staff, sponsorships not just to PSU but local TV stations, radio stations, radio broadcasts, local staffers for all broadcasts, parking tax, beer tax, food tax, restaurant tax, rental car tax, students who dont go to PSU could mean teachers laid of (big time sports is a reason for a lot of kids to pick a school), bars and beer distributors for AWAY games and bowl games.

Take 100,000 and times it by $10,then $20, then $30, then $40 then $50 - take that number then times it by 6 or 7 and look at the effect this could have on the economy. Think about how much money you spend at a pro game? Then think about how much cash you would spend if you traveled for a weekend for a game? Think about how much money you spend on a Saturday afternoon game and afterwards at a bar. That is PSU.

Will it kills the area - NO. Will have a huge negative effect - if you dont think so you are only lying to yourself.

I hate Paterno for what he did. And the other schmucks too. And of course Sandusky. They can all rot rot rot in hell. But I refuse to want to punish a student body, athletes or businesses for their crimes.
Not following and not agreeing are not the same thing.

Not going to argue semantics, but continued reverence and preferential treatment for the football program on the basis of income is the root cause of the cover-up and its success. Your math is a little faulty, but I understand what you're trying to articulate.

I will go to State College without football to spend time with my family, who has season tickets for PSU football and a condo off of Fox Hollow Road. Taking the program down for a year or two will not end those traditions for us, and we would be at the first game back.
I was not following your logic and still am not. Clearly not agreeing either. Whether you would be at the first game back or every other single person would be is irrelevant - its still missing a year or two or three and completely punishing every single person, player or business owner who was not involved. And again you are taking an argument and taking a too global and imple approach to it. And now making a huge assumption that everything would be swell when the team came back including any decent player would actually want to go there. Which it probably wouldnt be anyways as well and my thoughts are providing exactly what would happen in those missing years. There is no arguing that if there isnt football there wouldnt be tickets, money, traveling, part time jobs, full time jobs etc.

We all know that power, greed, money, legacy and whatever term where the root of the problem and that sticks with the football program. Greed, money and power are not why someone wants a part time job. Or why Smiths Beer Distributor wants PSU football. Or why a hotel does business. Its not relevant at all as at some point everyone needs to divide the good and the evil here. This isnt an SMU type of situation. This is a few people covering up a disgusting crime mostly for the power and ego of one individual.

The reality is that not bringing in thousands of people to the area, not giving local establishments business (home and away - people go to bars for games when they dont have tickets or the team is away, or they buy cases of beer for house parties etc etc), is hurting everyone but those involved. The money or experiences for those individuals is not based on any of the overlying reasons for the crimes that were committed. Its simply people making a living or enjoying their day.

My math really isnt faulty other than I dont exactly how many people the stadium holds. Everything else I wrote is 100% true. Sporting event money goes so deep from those who attend the games, to those who travel for the games, to those who spend money locally to watch the games but are not at the stadium, to taxes on everything to taxes on an entire staffs salary, to taxes on part time salaries and on and on.

Find a way to punish the finances of the school or to redistribute the profits. I am ok with that.
Last edited by BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

"unprecedented" penalties coming tomorrow

(CBS News) CBS News has learned that the NCAA will announce what a high-ranking association source called "unprecedented" penalties against both the Penn State University football team and the school.

"I've never seen anything like it," the source told correspondent Armen Keteyian.

NCAA President Mark Emmert will make the announcement Monday morning at 9 a.m. at the organization's headquarters in Indianapolis.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-400_162-574 ... ?tag=stack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

So the NCAA is laying down penalties without going through its usual due process pattern of hearings, a notice of allegations, or an infractions panel meeting. Either PSU and the NCAA have agreed on something or the NCAA is asking to get sued.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Well I'm glad this announcement is coming soon, because I am sick of the punishment aspect of this story.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Rocco wrote:So the NCAA is laying down penalties without going through its usual due process pattern of hearings, a notice of allegations, or an infractions panel meeting. Either PSU and the NCAA have agreed on something or the NCAA is asking to get sued.
Im thinking this is where the "unprecedented" aspect is coming from.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Yeah, the NCAA doesn't have unilateral, dictatorial power as some people seem to believe. There is a system of due process. If the sanctions are as "unprecedented" as that snippet indicates, they are going to be sued on Tuesday, with reasonable cause.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

I don't see what good it would do for PSU to sue the NCAA regardless of what they hand down.

Rightly or wrongly, if they do that, it will make them look pretty pathetic.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

skullman80 wrote:I don't see what good it would do for PSU to sue the NCAA regardless of what they hand down.

While penitence is necessary, I think the administration will look more pathetic if they just roll over and accept a penalty that will all but end the football program, and have a trickle down effect on other sports.

Again, this is assuming that PSU isn't complicit, which is possible. But I don't know how that makes them look "pathetic"
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Why?

Should a convicted criminal just lay down and take his punishment?

The only way it makes sense is if psu and ncaa agreed on something. If thats the case though psu should have just released it themselves. Bringing the ncaa in when psu aleady made their minds up makes them look even worse. But at thispoint nothing surprises me with the way the university is handling this.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

skullman80 wrote:I don't see what good it would do for PSU to sue the NCAA regardless of what they hand down.

Because the NCAA should be expected to follow its own rules.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

I'm not saying I necessarily agree with the NCAA.

I'm just looking at it this way. PSU is in the midst of one of if not the biggest coverups in sports history. On top of that the coverup was for the molestation of children over the course of dozens of years.

I would assume the university doesn't want to bring any more unwanted vitrol on them, so I'm just looking at the angle that after all of this that the University fighting any sort of punishment will just blow this up even more, at least in the court of public perception.

It's one of those instances where maybe just taking what they are given, even if it may be unprecedented, is the best thing to do to actually make this travesty, blow over sooner, rather than later.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

skullman80 wrote:I'm not saying I necessarily agree with the NCAA.

I'm just looking at it this way. PSU is in the midst of one of if not the biggest coverups in sports history. On top of that the coverup was for the molestation of children over the course of dozens of years.

I would assume the university doesn't want to bring any more unwanted vitrol on them, so I'm just looking at the angle that after all of this that the University fighting any sort of punishment will just blow this up even more, at least in the court of public perception.

It's one of those instances where maybe just taking what they are given, even if it may be unprecedented, is the best thing to do to actually make this travesty, blow over sooner, rather than later.
PSU football is a cash cow for the university that funds the non-revenue sports. They aren't going to let it vanish just to appease the masses. And there's little chance of something like this blowing over quickly regardless of how they accept or not accept punishments. Taking down the Paterno statue won't make the media stop talking about Paterno. Not playing football won't make people stop talking about the child abuse scandal. This is a hurricane- you don't stop or re-route them, you clean up the mess once it has run its natural course.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

I saw on the espn scroll that its probably not the death penalty.

From espn...
But Penn State will not receive the so-called "death penalty" that would have suspended the program for at least one year, the source said.
The penalties, however, are considered to be so harsh that the death penalty may have been preferable, the source said.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I wonder if they are vacating a ton of wins, and the university gladly acceded to that
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Worse than the death penalty-10 year bowl ban?
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

If vacating wins is a major part of the punishment then that is completley meaningless and it will be a joke.