Flyers offer sheet Weber

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Flyers offer sheet Weber

Post by count2infinity »

AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

HockeyDaddy wrote:I hate the Flyers, Paul Holmgren is the devil, and I hate offer sheets. Now that that is out of the way:

I have never heard that Weber wants out of Nashville. I do know that he was extremely upset that Suter did not re-up with the Preds and that situation could have caused him to consider other options. This is an interesting situation. The Flyers could have done the Preds a favor by getting him to sign that OS, all they have to do is match it and he is a Pred for life. I am not sure that it was a great move be Weber to sign it, if he knows that Nashville will match. His loyalty to the team that he captains can now be called into question.
Do they have to match the yearly cap hit or the actual structure of the contract? The yearly cap hit for them should be a no brainer, but they might not have the money up front that the Flyers are throwing at him.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Flyers have this cap thing down. Super long deals, good cap hits, if the guy gets injured he goes on LTIR and boom no more cap hit.
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Trip McNeely »

I really still think they have to match. They are currently 14 million under the cap floor. If they don't sign Weber, how do they even get close to getting to that number? Offer Semin 1 year 14 millions dollars?
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

shmenguin wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:A 14 year deal sounds like it should be invalidated by Betman honestly.
Its basically the same as Sid's deal, no?

At first glance, it seems like Nashville should just pack up their stuff and leave the league if they don't match this.
I remember reading somewhere (twitter maybe so FWIW...) that Poile would match any offer for Weber. Sounds like a gambit by GMPH to force someone's hand. They should make him eat this and have virtually no good picks to support their system.
Last edited by Pitt87 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by HockeyDaddy »

AlexPKeaton wrote:
HockeyDaddy wrote:I hate the Flyers, Paul Holmgren is the devil, and I hate offer sheets. Now that that is out of the way:

I have never heard that Weber wants out of Nashville. I do know that he was extremely upset that Suter did not re-up with the Preds and that situation could have caused him to consider other options. This is an interesting situation. The Flyers could have done the Preds a favor by getting him to sign that OS, all they have to do is match it and he is a Pred for life. I am not sure that it was a great move be Weber to sign it, if he knows that Nashville will match. His loyalty to the team that he captains can now be called into question.
Do they have to match the yearly cap hit or the actual structure of the contract? The yearly cap hit for them should be a no brainer, but they might not have the money up front that the Flyers are throwing at him.
From what I understand, the Preds only option is matching the exact same offer that he signed with the Flyers.

Here is another kicker: Weber has played 7 seasons in the league. This would take him to his 21st season. If he retires before that, his contract would come off the books. The amount of years is really no risk.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by farnham16 »

The Preds have to match this. They will lose all their fans if they don't. They simply can't afford to lose both Weber and Suter in the same offseason.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

HockeyDaddy wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:

From what I understand, the Preds only option is matching the exact same offer that he signed with the Flyers.

Here is another kicker: Weber has played 7 seasons in the league. This would take him to his 21st season. If he retires before that, his contract would come off the books. The amount of years is really no risk.
Thats why it should be invalidated; that was the problem with the Kovachoo contract...
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by HockeyDaddy »

Pitt87 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:A 14 year deal sounds like it should be invalidated by Betman honestly.

At first glance, it seems like Nashville should just pack up their stuff and leave the league if they don't match this.
I remember reading somewhere (twitter maybe so FWIW...) that Poile would match any offer for Weber. Sounds like a gambit by GMPH to force someone's hand. They should make him eat this and have virtually no good picks to support their system.
Rumor is that NSH was working with a few teams to trade Weber, PHI lost out and quickly signed him to this deal so that a deal with another team could not be completed.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by HockeyDaddy »

Pitt87 wrote:
HockeyDaddy wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:

Thats why it should be invalidated; that was the problem with the Kovachoo contract...
How long did it take the Kovachoo contract to be canceled? Bettman better work quick...last I heard he was kind of busy. :)
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Trip McNeely »

farnham16 wrote:The Preds have to match this. They will lose all their fans if they don't. They simply can't afford to lose both Weber and Suter in the same offseason.
I think this, and the fact they are so far away from the cap floor, they must match it.

What are the penalties for being below the cap floor?
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by HockeyDaddy »

Giroux is a RFA in 2014. Just sayin'.
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Big Easy Pens Fan »

HockeyDaddy wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

Rumor is that NSH was working with a few teams to trade Weber, PHI lost out and quickly signed him to this deal so that a deal with another team could not be completed.
Sounds like Philthy. "If we can't have him no one can." Except Nashville.

BEPF
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Interesting: if the Preds match, they can't trade him for a year. The Flyers must have slipped a NMC in that contract. Or is that a part of an offer sheet contract?
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

It's a simple matter of whether or not Nashville has the cash to pay the bonuses. It doesn't seem all that likely to be honest, they will likely need to go out and borrow that money.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Pitt87 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

Losing a couple firsts, a second and third would be worth it. Is that value high enough for 4 firsts? Either way, it would be worth it for sure.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

HockeyDaddy wrote:Giroux is a RFA in 2014. Just sayin'.
I would bet a whole lot of money that he is never an RFA.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by HockeyDaddy »

Idoit40fans wrote:
I would too, however, that year they will also need to work out deals with Schenn and Couturier.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pens2005 »

Idoit40fans wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

Losing a couple firsts, a second and third would be worth it. Is that value high enough for 4 firsts? Either way, it would be worth it for sure.
I'm confused with what you're saying. Is it 4 firsts or would the flyers be giving up 2 firsts, 1 second, and 1 third?
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

HockeyDaddy wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
I would too, however, that year they will also need to work out deals with Schenn and Couturier.
Craig Adams will need a contract worked out at the same time as Malkin is eligible to be negotiated with. It sounds like an extreme example but its not.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Interesting: if the Preds match, they can't trade him for a year. The Flyers must have slipped a NMC in that contract. Or is that a part of an offer sheet contract?
It's part of matching any offer sheet that the team can't trade the player for one year.
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by pens#1 »

How anyone can think 7+ a year for Weber is bad blows my mind. Also about the Flyers losing 4 picks and having no depth, is that what we said when they traded for Pronger- they now have a younger team then most in the league. This is the type of move Shero should have made. Proactive rather than reactive.
I hate teh Flyers but love how agressive they are trying to make there team better
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by HockeyDaddy »

Idoit40fans wrote:
HockeyDaddy wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Craig Adams will need a contract worked out at the same time as Malkin is eligible to be negotiated with. It sounds like an extreme example but its not.
My point is, if I'm Nashville and upset with Holmgren's antics, I would send an offer sheet to one of their young players as soon as I can. If Nashville has cap space that could offer Schenn or Couturier an above value contract for a few years...of course, I am not sure if either of those guys would be worth giving up picks for.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

Flyer scum.

Smart move on their part. But they are still scum.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

This really, really scares me.