Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Post by steve784 »

columbia wrote:There are plenty of reasons to inflict (or not) the death penalty on Penn State.
The health of the local economy should not be a consideration.
I'm honestly not even trying to argue the death penalty here. If there is, so be it. Some businesses will take a hit and that's unfortunate. My point I'm trying to make is I don't understand the underlying theme that this whole community is responsible for this terrible coverup and should be punished. It's not like there was a town hall meeting with 50,000 people and child rape was voted to be covered up by a strong majority vote.

Screw it, maybe they should just nuke State College. Mark Madden would probably be happy at least (as long as The End Zone was out of the fallout radius).
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Who said that the community was responsible?
People of all stripes have to deal with the consequences of their geography and tacit (or real) affiliations.

The fact that X number of people have economically benefited from the football team in the past (or the future), should not be a reason for it to play this fall.

Personally: I'm at about 53% that PSU should get the death penalty. That might wane in the coming months.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

columbia wrote:Who said that the community was responsible?
I should clarify that I wasn't implying you there, just the topic in general got me off on that tangent.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

steve784 wrote:
ulf wrote:Either way, they didn't build their businesses. Someone else made that happen.
So if Jerry Sandusky had been arrested in 1998 and this all came out then, those businesses in downtown State College would've not been as successful as they are now? Therefore they should suffer for something they have no part of? Please.
Yeah... You must not have heard the Obama speech. My post was not serious.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

ulf wrote:Yeah... You must not have heard the Obama speech. My post was not serious.
Whoops........guess I fall in the green. It was late.....over my head 8-) .
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

steve784 wrote:
columbia wrote:There are plenty of reasons to inflict (or not) the death penalty on Penn State.
I'm honestly not even trying to argue the death penalty here. If there is, so be it. Some businesses will take a hit and that's unfortunate. My point I'm trying to make is I don't understand the underlying theme that this whole community is responsible for this terrible coverup and should be punished. It's not like there was a town hall meeting with 50,000 people and child rape was voted to be covered up by a strong majority vote.

Screw it, maybe they should just nuke State College. Mark Madden would probably be happy at least (as long as The End Zone was out of the fallout radius).
Anyone saying that any penalties are not fair to the community, football players or other sports because it penalizes them for a crime they didn't commit is ignoring the fact that they have been benefiting from a program that committed a crime; children of embezzlers are put on the street, parents of drug dealers lose their houses, and employees of 'boiler room' businesses lose their jobs all the time. LIFE IS NOT FAIR, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU ARE UNKNOWINGLY ASSOCIATED WITH CRIMINALS.

Its an ignorant excuse and lays blame with people that seek to penalize PSU, which is indicative of the problem; the NCAA has a responsibility to govern the programs of its members. PSU created a culture of reverence for the Football Program because of the economic impact. If the NCAA decides not to nuke the program because of the economic impact, does that not perpetuate the problem? I completely agree with what you said; the businesses that were based on the hundreds of thousands of people that flood in for football games will probably fail, but most of them will be just fine, maybe a bit less lucrative for a time. The Waffle Shop, Wegmans, The Corner Room, the Saloon... all these places will be just fine.

The Death Sentence for Football is not a death sentence for business unless you were only in it for the money, which is the basis for the cover-up anyway.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

Do you really think money was the only basis for the cover up?
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:Do you really think money was the only basis for the cover up?
Yeah, that seems extremely shortsighted. I would say reputation of the program was a big reason as well. Not to mention a certain "old boys" network of sorts.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Garben steps down from BOT
http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=8182621" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by BurghersAndDogsSports »

viva la ben wrote:Theres an article on espn about a group of students protecting the statue. Just remove the thing already.
Not to defend the kids but they just dont want an angry mob taking it down. They said if the Board says to remove it they will walk away. Not saying its right, just a different viewpoint.

Either way take it down and remove anything, maybe even change uniforms or whatever, I dont know the answer to that. I cant stomach ESPN having a story on the statue in 2014. and 2015, and 2017. Once the punishments are dolled out in the court of law and maybe with the NCAA then at some point we are going to need to move on from a standpoint of the obvious distraction it will continue to be for all involved.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-gra ... ncaaf.html

This comes off as extraordinarily petty and insensitive, and it looks like Grambling is trying to take advantage of this nightmare to put Eddie Robinson at the top. I have no love for Paterno, but come on...
The city attorney and mayor of Grambling, La., sent a letter to the NCAA asking it to vacate some of Joe Paterno's wins so Grambling State's Eddie Robinson could again hold the record for the most Division I football victories, the Shreveport, La., Times reported.

Robinson had 408 wins at Grambling State, and Paterno had 409 while at Penn State.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by BurghersAndDogsSports »

Pitt87 wrote:
steve784 wrote:

Anyone saying that any penalties are not fair to the community, football players or other sports because it penalizes them for a crime they didn't commit is ignoring the fact that they have been benefiting from a program that committed a crime; children of embezzlers are put on the street, parents of drug dealers lose their houses, and employees of 'boiler room' businesses lose their jobs all the time. LIFE IS NOT FAIR, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU ARE UNKNOWINGLY ASSOCIATED WITH CRIMINALS.

Its an ignorant excuse and lays blame with people that seek to penalize PSU, which is indicative of the problem; the NCAA has a responsibility to govern the programs of its members. PSU created a culture of reverence for the Football Program because of the economic impact. If the NCAA decides not to nuke the program because of the economic impact, does that not perpetuate the problem? I completely agree with what you said; the businesses that were based on the hundreds of thousands of people that flood in for football games will probably fail, but most of them will be just fine, maybe a bit less lucrative for a time. The Waffle Shop, Wegmans, The Corner Room, the Saloon... all these places will be just fine.

The Death Sentence for Football is not a death sentence for business unless you were only in it for the money, which is the basis for the cover-up anyway.
I dont really follow. Child abuse, Sandusky or not the community still benefits the same in State College or wherever there is big time college football. Cities benefit deeply from sports teams (more than people even think). Like it or not but these crimes did not change anything about the about the fans, players or surrounding businesses. If they dont commit these crimes NOTHING would have been different. 100,000 still would have shown up on Saturdays.

I just dont think its a fair argument to say the area benefited from an organization that was doing these crimes because it simplifies it down to an elementary argument. I mean I went to a college and I went to Division 1 football games all the time. I am NO different than any one student at PSU. Many athletes play at different schools for the same reason kids at PSU do.

Dumbing it down to LIFE ISNT FAIR. CHILDREN OF DRUG DEALERS blah blah is bs because those are people directly involved in the life and all aspects of the criminal act and it is crappy luck. However, a better example in relation to PSU would be - "my dad was convicted of dealing drugs so he went to prison, instead of sending me to a foster home they made sure I never had another dad again because I was associated and ate food he payed with drug money even though I had no idea he was drug dealer and just showed up to eat dinner every night at 7".

Finally - if you think all of the businesses would be fine without PSU football you have no idea about the economics surrounding sports or the shear volume of cash surrounding 100,000 plus visitors to basically a farmland. It would have a monster effect. Games, tv rights, all those jobs at the stadiums, full time staffers at PSU, month of training camp, spring practices, admins, support staff, part time workers, hotels, beer distributors, local hot dog distributors, gas stations, TAXES on 100,000 tickets (btw even if its a dollar per ticket that is almost a million dollars per year in lost revenue for the town and I am sure its more than that), luxury box taxes, taxes for the area on salaries, coaches salaries (how many millions is that?), sales people, cleaning staff, sponsorships not just to PSU but local TV stations, radio stations, radio broadcasts, local staffers for all broadcasts, parking tax, beer tax, food tax, restaurant tax, rental car tax, students who dont go to PSU could mean teachers laid of (big time sports is a reason for a lot of kids to pick a school), bars and beer distributors for AWAY games and bowl games.

Take 100,000 and times it by $10,then $20, then $30, then $40 then $50 - take that number then times it by 6 or 7 and look at the effect this could have on the economy. Think about how much money you spend at a pro game? Then think about how much cash you would spend if you traveled for a weekend for a game? Think about how much money you spend on a Saturday afternoon game and afterwards at a bar. That is PSU.

Will it kills the area - NO. Will have a huge negative effect - if you dont think so you are only lying to yourself.

I hate Paterno for what he did. And the other schmucks too. And of course Sandusky. They can all rot rot rot in hell. But I refuse to want to punish a student body, athletes or businesses for their crimes.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Nothing else to back this up ATM
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

they need to do it quick and discretely or they're going to have a **** show on their hands...
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

Can't wait for like 2 idiot kids to guard/protest the statue coming down followed by the media outcry acting like it's the entire student body and community.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

steve784 wrote:Can't wait for like 2 idiot kids to guard/protest the statue coming down followed by the media outcry acting like it's the entire student body and community.
yup... that's what happened with the riots. I'd be willing to bet about 90% of the student body thought the kids that rioted were morons, and somehow everyone got pegged as being a person that was downtown rioting.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

They should do it like when the colts left Baltimore.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

count2infinity wrote:
steve784 wrote:Can't wait for like 2 idiot kids to guard/protest the statue coming down followed by the media outcry acting like it's the entire student body and community.
yup... that's what happened with the riots. I'd be willing to bet about 90% of the student body thought the kids that rioted were morons, and somehow everyone got pegged as being a person that was downtown rioting.
Huh? It was a riot. Aka, there were tons of kids.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

count2infinity wrote:
95%. I was downtown at the time, saw nothing was really going on but people being generally upset, and went back to my apartment. I turned on ESPN, and listened to Stuart Scott and on-site reporters acting like they were in Vietnam.

I just buried my hands in my face and started laughing. I keep hearing about how PSU has to "drain the poison" out of the program, "erase the cult mentality of the town" and other noise like that which is 100% fabricated by the media in the first place. Just because 100,000 people show up to a small town in the middle of PA for football games doesn't mean they worship the football program. For a lot of us, PSU will be the only place we will see our college buddies again just because a lot of us live in completely different places. That's what makes the town special, that everybody here is connected to the school, or else there would be no reason to live here in the first place.

Walking around every day, there is no difference in attitude or appearance of the town. My advice to those following the story really goes without saying. Don't believe everything the media throws at you, and don't be so quick to judge a place you've never been to and the people who call it home.

Some of you sound like those who think Pittsburgh is still a dirty polluted steel town.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Lt. Dish »

shafnutz05 wrote:Image

Nothing else to back this up ATM

Angry and heartbroken Penn Stater here. Here's an article that addresses the topic.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/2 ... ref=sports" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I don't get the statue thing. The only people that should want it taken down are PSU people.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

At the very least they had to take down the "Educator. Coach. Humanitarian." plaque
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

ulf wrote:
count2infinity wrote:
Huh? It was a riot. Aka, there were tons of kids.
Were you here? Did you actually see the number of people that were doing this? The news made it seem like every single student was there. They weren't. In fact there were only a very very small number of people rioting.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

500?

It was hard to tell on the tube.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Troy Loney wrote:I don't get the statue thing. The only people that should want it taken down are PSU people.
Agreed. The only people the statue should matter to are the people who see it on a regular basis. Ultimately it is PSU's decision on whether to continue to honor JoePa and it's how they want to shape their image going forward. If they want to keep it up, it's up to them and they just have to deal with any consequences that has in terms of enrollment, etc.