Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Post by Pitt87 »

columbia wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
columbia wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:whats the deal behind we keep hearing about 2nd mile giving Corbett a bunch of money for one of his elections? Can anyone straighten out that story?
I don't know why its relevant. I think media is trying to get people to infer that he did something wrong. Non profits donate to candidates all the time, and Second Mile seemed legit.
Regardless of what he did or did not do, I was a little surprised that he would take donations from them while investigating Sandusky.
That seems a bit sketchy.
See? It worked! :roll:

Politicians that don't properly vet a passive donor are not complicit. Its also important to note that the donations came from second mile board members and their families & businesses, not the second mile specifically.
Passive? He allowed the chairman of Second Mile to hold a fundraiser for his campaign, while he was investigating Sandusky.
I'd rather see the DOJ look into it than take your word that everything was just a-ok.

And to return to Rendell, who was buddies with Paterno.
Why didn't he pick up the phone and tell Penn State to get Sandusky the **** off their campus?
(Or are we to believe that Corbett never bothered to tell his boss about this? :roll: )

The level of FAIL in this entire thing is amazing.
The Chairman of the Second Mile is the CEO of S&A Homes & Poole Anderson Construction, and his donations were personal. After reading a bit futher, the Second Mile was not involved in the donations. Its really a non-starter.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

stinky wrote:So, just curious, what would be in the estimation of the LGP NHR regulars, an appropriate punishment from the NCAA? It seems to me the statements from the NCAA chief that this is unprecedented in terms of scope and severity are accurate. Yes, there have been minor NCAA infractions for "loss of Institutional Control" but there has been nothing approaching this in terms of its systemic nature and severity. I think everyone is in agreement that we have crossed the line into new territory, if not the death penalty, then what?
If the NCAA are to do anything, I honestly feel it needs to be outside the realm of the sanctions that have been imposed for other offenders, simply because the nature of the offense is so out there. And I don't mean they have to be overly creative for creativity's sake. But "if you rape boys, you don't get your games on TV" seems a bit meaningless. Which is why I don't think the death penalty is appropriate. It doesn't really do anything putative to those responsible, nor will it add anything meaningful to the persona non grata stigma the university has attached to itself now as it stands.

This will be a precedent-setting case, so the NCAA will need to really make sure they get it right. (If they do anything at all.)
Staggy wrote:
columbia wrote:He was a serial predator, so this isn't surprising....

Report: Three men claim they were abused by Sandusky in '70s, '80s
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/16/re ... n-70s-80s/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah it's highly unlikely Sandusky woke up one day in the 90's and decided to be a pedophile. I would have been shocked if he didn't abuse kids before the 90's, especially with the unlimited access to vulnerable boys that the Second Mile charity provided him since 1977.
I agree, this is just the tip of a very ugly and deep iceberg.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Pitt87 »

tifosi77 wrote:
stinky wrote:So, just curious, what would be in the estimation of the LGP NHR regulars, an appropriate punishment from the NCAA? It seems to me the statements from the NCAA chief that this is unprecedented in terms of scope and severity are accurate. Yes, there have been minor NCAA infractions for "loss of Institutional Control" but there has been nothing approaching this in terms of its systemic nature and severity. I think everyone is in agreement that we have crossed the line into new territory, if not the death penalty, then what?
If the NCAA are to do anything, I honestly feel it needs to be outside the realm of the sanctions that have been imposed for other offenders, simply because the nature of the offense is so out there. And I don't mean they have to be overly creative for creativity's sake. But "if you rape boys, you don't get your games on TV" seems a bit meaningless. Which is why I don't think the death penalty is appropriate. It doesn't really do anything putative to those responsible, nor will it add anything meaningful to the persona non grata stigma the university has attached to itself now as it stands.

This will be a precedent-setting case, so the NCAA will need to really make sure they get it right. (If they do anything at all.)
Staggy wrote:
columbia wrote:He was a serial predator, so this isn't surprising....

Report: Three men claim they were abused by Sandusky in '70s, '80s
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/16/re ... n-70s-80s/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah it's highly unlikely Sandusky woke up one day in the 90's and decided to be a pedophile. I would have been shocked if he didn't abuse kids before the 90's, especially with the unlimited access to vulnerable boys that the Second Mile charity provided him since 1977.
I agree, this is just the tip of a very ugly and deep iceberg.
Whats reasonably freeing for the NCAA is that they don't really have to prove much of anything in order to impose sanctions. Participating is a privileged and comes with clauses that allow the NCAA to penalize any school for ALMOST any reason. They have virtually no burden of proof and really only need to prove that people in the scope of NCAA rules acted poorly or violated one of probably 10,000 clauses in the agreements and they can bring the pain. They can also say that, because of the length of time and egregious nature of the issue they can levy a much more severe penalty on the University.

Bad situation for PSU, but you have to feel for the kids. Hopefully NCAA allows they out of their obligations without prejudice.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by malkinshair »

I think a lot of people are forgetting, with regard to the NCAA whacking PSU, that they have no internal documentation with which to levy any sort of sanctions or punishments. The only document that has been prepared was done so at the request of the PSU BOT to investigate any wrong-doings and offer recommendations to help prevent future problems. The Freeh report has no legal basis outside of those specified parameters. I was disappointed with Freeh's presser, because he quite plainly talked in truths and facts, when none exist within the report. He gathered an immense amount of information, but still had to work on assumptions and 'most likelys' to come to his stated conclusions.

For the NCAA to levy any punishment, it would have to conduct its own independent investigation of the events to determine the level of 'loss of institutional control'. It cannot rely on the Freeh report to do it for them...especially when none of the 4 principle figures were interviewed for it. The media is trying to push the cart in front of the horse.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

http://video.pbs.org/video/2257100910" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tavis Smiley had the NCAA person on last evening. NCAA is awaiting a response from PSU; due in matter of weeks.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Pitt87 »

malkinshair wrote:I think a lot of people are forgetting, with regard to the NCAA whacking PSU, that they have no internal documentation with which to levy any sort of sanctions or punishments. The only document that has been prepared was done so at the request of the PSU BOT to investigate any wrong-doings and offer recommendations to help prevent future problems. The Freeh report has no legal basis outside of those specified parameters. I was disappointed with Freeh's presser, because he quite plainly talked in truths and facts, when none exist within the report. He gathered an immense amount of information, but still had to work on assumptions and 'most likelys' to come to his stated conclusions.

For the NCAA to levy any punishment, it would have to conduct its own independent investigation of the events to determine the level of 'loss of institutional control'. It cannot rely on the Freeh report to do it for them...especially when none of the 4 principle figures were interviewed for it. The media is trying to push the cart in front of the horse.
Read those questions, which predate the Freeh report, and I think its clear that they are seeking to exemplify, not deliver a fair ruling.

NCAA is not bound by law. They need little cause to penalize members on the basis of membership. They will be seeking their pound of flesh, the question is how much they go after.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Paterno’s Alma Mater Takes Name Off Award
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/18/sport ... award.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

The NCAA will have to conduct its own investigation, it's not like they can just use the Freeh report (which outside the emails is mostly speculation considering there were no eyewitnesses interviewed) to punish the school. It's not as easy as the NCAA wielding all this power and expecting PSU to take it on the chin. There could be a very ugly legal battle ensuing between the two.

The thing that bothers me is when ESPN runs the headline "NCAA PRES. SAYS HEAVY PUNISHMENT LIKELY" and then the actual interview has Emmert covering his own *** by saying how unprecedented this is and it was more than a football problem, it sounded to me like he was setting the NCAA not to rule anything out, including little if no punishment. It really is way over their heads.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

columbia wrote:Paterno’s Alma Mater Takes Name Off Award
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/18/sport ... award.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Psh, that's just Bobby Jindal covering all of his bases for 2016 :pop:
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

So apparently they are moving the Paterno statue to the Paterno library??

http://www.centredaily.com
Spoiler:
To remind students to keep quiet.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by CERV96 »

shafnutz05 wrote:So apparently they are moving the Paterno statue to the Paterno library??

Spoiler:
SNAP!
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Spanier has dropped his lawsuit against Penn State.

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/07/18/3 ... ainst.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

There was a plane that flew over the stadium yesterday too saying to take the statue down. people are insane.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

shafnutz05 wrote:So apparently they are moving the Paterno statue to the Paterno library??

Lisa Lampanelli tweeted the same thing on Saturday or Sunday. And then there was the one of rotating the statue 180 degrees ... so he could look the other way forever.
Spoiler:
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

Quote fail on my part.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by King Sid the Great 87 »

Consider why Penn State University commissioned the Freeh report so quickly. Was the primary concern uncovering the truth, or were they just throwing Spanier, Curley and Schultz under the bus as quickly as possible to protect their own self-interests by showing what a bang-up job the University has done at righting this wrong since these three have been removed?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

King Sid the Great 87 wrote:Consider why Penn State University commissioned the Freeh report so quickly. Was the primary concern uncovering the truth, or were they just throwing Spanier, Curley and Schultz under the bus as quickly as possible to protect their own self-interests by showing what a bang-up job the University has done at righting this wrong since these three have been removed?
You left one name out there of people to throw under the bus.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

King Sid the Great 87 wrote:Consider why Penn State University commissioned the Freeh report so quickly. Was the primary concern uncovering the truth, or were they just throwing Spanier, Curley and Schultz under the bus as quickly as possible to protect their own self-interests by showing what a bang-up job the University has done at righting this wrong since these three have been removed?
damned if they do damned if they dont. :face:
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

Great discussion between Simmons and Klosterman on the BS report today. Starts about halfway through the podcast.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/grantland/ ... id=8177226" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

steve784 wrote:Great discussion between Simmons and Klosterman on the BS report today. Starts about halfway through the podcast.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/grantland/ ... id=8177226" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Excellent discussion indeed. Simmons and Klosterman run through a few scenarios about what possibly could have been going through Paterno's head.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Someone on my Facebook just tried to compare this situation to Michael Jackson...

No words or emoticons could explain how stupid he sounds :face:
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

lol, you are a full-blown PSU hater. Which is fine, and I expect every single move the university makes (including the good ones) to be looked at with extreme, withering scrutiny moving forward. I think the Freeh report was a common sense move by the BoT to air out the dirty laundry as quickly as possible.

I mean, you do understand that those four men were the primary offenders here, right? I don't think the Board of Trustees was actively supplying Sandusky with boys to molest.

Or were they?
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by King Sid the Great 87 »

shafnutz05 wrote:
lol, you are a full-blown PSU hater. Which is fine, and I expect every single move the university makes (including the good ones) to be looked at with extreme, withering scrutiny moving forward. I think the Freeh report was a common sense move by the BoT to air out the dirty laundry as quickly as possible.

I mean, you do understand that those four men were the primary offenders here, right? I don't think the Board of Trustees was actively supplying Sandusky with boys to molest.

Or were they?
So the legal ramifications that the university is going to be punished with in the future are enough for the NCAA to not drop the hammer on them, but the school shouldn't have waited for the legal process to run its course rather than dropping their own hammer on the individuals in question?

Interesting selective application.

Give Penn State an equivalent punishment to USC and move on, right?
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I'm not sure what the NCAA is going to do. But I think for people like yourself that sorely want the death penalty to be applied and the Penn State football program to be cast into the fiery pits of Mt. Doom, there is disappointment looming.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. They didn't "drop the hammer on the individuals." They hired an ex FBI director to investigate the case so they could figure out what the hell happened. I don't know how this can be construed as anything negative.