Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

whats the deal behind we keep hearing about 2nd mile giving Corbett a bunch of money for one of his elections? Can anyone straighten out that story?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

shafnutz05 wrote:The NCAA will take some type of action because of public pressure, but they won't go full bore death penalty. It's not in their wheelhouse, but the magnitude of what happened dictates they take some kind of action.

If we are to believe that this isn't an NCAA issue: I'm just trying to figure out how some people can say that certain sanctions would be ok, but others would not be (because the NCAA supposedly doesn't have the power* to carry them out).

You can't have it both ways and it doesn't make any sense.
(That's a collective you.)

* There's nothing to prevent them from changing the bylaws, as necessary, to mete out the justice of their choosing.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

The NCAA has the power to do whatever they want. I'm simply telling you that it is extremely unlikely they will pursue the death penalty, since everyone involved in this sordid episode is either being prosecuted, in jail, or dead, and it was primarily a criminal matter. Penn State will gladly accept certain sanctions for loss of institutional control, but they will fight back if the NCAA tries to push the death penalty, you mark my words. And as many NCAA legal experts have pointed out, that might be a losing battle on the NCAA's part (believe it or not).

I'm simply looking at this through a realistic lens. There are always shades of gray, and they exist here as well. It is not an all or nothing scenario.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Penn State suing the NCAA would be a pretty terrible PR move.

However, I don't expect that to happen; the death penalty, that is.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Eh, I'm not sure how much it would really affect their PR. For people outside of Happy Valley, their reputation is dying on the side of the road as it is.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:whats the deal behind we keep hearing about 2nd mile giving Corbett a bunch of money for one of his elections? Can anyone straighten out that story?
I don't know why its relevant. I think media is trying to get people to infer that he did something wrong. Non profits donate to candidates all the time, and Second Mile seemed legit.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

Pitt87 wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:whats the deal behind we keep hearing about 2nd mile giving Corbett a bunch of money for one of his elections? Can anyone straighten out that story?
I don't know why its relevant. I think media is trying to get people to infer that he did something wrong. Non profits donate to candidates all the time, and Second Mile seemed legit.
It would become relevant if anyone at Second Mile knew Sandusky was abusing the boys in the program. It could be seen as a "contribution" to keep Corbett's office from investigating or thoroughly investigating the abuse.

That would have to be proven, of course. From all accounts folks at Second Mile claim they didn't know what was going on. I find this hard to believe, but they are sticking by their claims.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Pitt87 wrote:
I don't think that anyone is questioning Second Mile in this, because they were actually unaware of the investigation.
The inference is that he was dragging his feet (and milking their board members for a lot of cash in the process).

Regardless of what he did or did not do, I was a little surprised that he would take donations from them while investigating Sandusky.
That seems a bit sketchy.

And while we're at it: Rendell has denied that he knew of the investigation....That seems improbable.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by CBear3 »

Shaf pretty much echoes my feelings.
The chances of PSU pushing back on a bowl ban, or scholarship loss are pretty minimal.
The shockwave from a death penalty ruling though would necessitate legal action by PSU. There's just too much at stake by cancelling a football season (and some may point to that being a key problem with advanced education).

As far as I can tell, PSU's only NCAA violation is loss of institutional control. That has been sighted at umpteen universities across the country without a death penalty, so it'd be hard to argue what violation of the NCAA's actual rules demanded such an extreme action.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

columbia wrote: And while we're at it: Rendell has denied that he knew of the investigation....That seems improbable.
Seriously.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

columbia wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:The NCAA will take some type of action because of public pressure, but they won't go full bore death penalty. It's not in their wheelhouse, but the magnitude of what happened dictates they take some kind of action.

If we are to believe that this isn't an NCAA issue: I'm just trying to figure out how some people can say that certain sanctions would be ok, but others would not be (because the NCAA supposedly doesn't have the power* to carry them out).

You can't have it both ways and it doesn't make any sense.
(That's a collective you.)

* There's nothing to prevent them from changing the bylaws, as necessary, to mete out the justice of their choosing.
I didn't do a good job of explaining what I meant to say.

The NCAA can do pretty much whatever it pleases here, and they'll only need the flimsiest of regulatory justifications to enact the sanctions it deems appropriate. What I'm saying is that since this type of criminal activity is exactly that - criminal - the criminal justice system is the most appropriate avenue for redress. And that is a process that is ongoing, and will likely take years to fully conclude.

I should also point out that there will likely be civil litigation surrounding Sandusky and the University for years to come, something else that distinguishes this case from SMU and CalTech in terms of alternate methods of punishment.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I haven't heard a good answer to this:
Would a DA have taken 3 years to investigate a teacher at a State College daycare center?

(The "prominent person" angle doesn't wash for me; you immediately get a person of interest for child rape away from.....children.)
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by King Sid the Great 87 »

shafnutz05 wrote:Eh, I'm not sure how much it would really affect their PR. For people outside of Happy Valley, their reputation is dying on the side of the road as it is.
I'd pay money to see the **** show that ensued if Penn State appealed any penalties.

"We are appealing these punishments because we feel they are far too harsh for the child rape we allowed and enabled on our campus."

PR-nightmare. If Penn State has the brass balls to cross that bridge, they are out of their minds.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I think you are vastly underestimating just "how much worse" their PR would be. For starters, your "statement" is a little silly, since as I've stated countless times, the people involved are being prosecuted, dead, or already in jail.

If reputation is measured on a 1-100 scale, I would envision that scenario as taking their reputation from a 7 to like a 4.

A more likely response is "We've already removed everyone that was involved with this. We have already taken great steps to try and move away from that culture that allowed that to happen."
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

shafnutz05 wrote:I think you are vastly underestimating just "how much worse" their PR would be. For starters, your "statement" is a little silly, since as I've stated countless times, the people involved are being prosecuted, dead, or already in jail.

If reputation is measured on a 1-100 scale, I would envision that scenario as taking their reputation from a 7 to like a 4.

A more likely response is "We've already removed everyone that was involved with this. We have already taken great steps to try and move away from that culture that allowed that to happen."
Right, an appeal of a death penalty (however probable/improbable) certainly wouldn't be an immediate invitation for CNN, NBC, CBS, FOX, etc. etc. etc. to set up shop at Happy Valley for another week and put it on the lead of the national news again. Wouldn't disrupt a thing, especially if school was in full session.

This doesn't fall into the "there's no such thing as bad publicity" realm.

Funny how Joe Paterno "was Penn State." and now everybody is quick to distance themselves as far as possible from him.

How silly is your statement that bowl bans, scholarships, etc. as punishment are fine and dandy but death penalty isn't? After all, as you've stated countless times, "the people involved are being prosecuted, dead, or already in jail." Why wouldn't Penn State pursue legal against any punishment? Reputation is alread hosed, right? What's to lose?
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Again, you are looking at everything in absolutes. Penn State could stomach the other punishments, because they wouldn't have disastrous long-term effects. If they get the death penalty, their entire roster is gone and the program will be set back 15-20 years. Not to mention all of the revenue they stand to lose.

You call it "silly", I call it looking at this through a realistic prism, and not the idealistic and righteous sense of justice that you have.

Penn State is going to do everything they can to salvage their PR.....to an extent. But when you start talking death penalty for the 2nd most profitable college football program in the country, that is suddenly a cross far too heavy to bear.
stinky
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by stinky »

So, just curious, what would be in the estimation of the LGP NHR regulars, an appropriate punishment from the NCAA? It seems to me the statements from the NCAA chief that this is unprecedented in terms of scope and severity are accurate. Yes, there have been minor NCAA infractions for "loss of Institutional Control" but there has been nothing approaching this in terms of its systemic nature and severity. I think everyone is in agreement that we have crossed the line into new territory, if not the death penalty, then what?
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

The NCAA will consider the fact that those involved are facing criminal prosecution and jail sentences (although I read the other day that the most Curley/Schultz stand to face is 9-12 months, which is sickening). If PSU charts the course of seriously changing their culture and making very public and repeated mea culpas moving forward, the NCAA will probably administer bowl bans, television bans, and perhaps some scholarship restrictions.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Like many have said, without actually saying it, it should be about equivalent to the penalties USC got. Pete Carroll and Reggie Bush were gone, just like Spanier, Curley, Sandusky, and Paterno.

Plus, Penn State will surely say they are sorry a whole bunch of times. They haven't previously been convicted of allowing these types of actions, so there is no precedent. And hey, it's PENN STATE. They certainly can't be used to set the precedent. Also, the NCAA was silly enough to not lay out specific punishment for these types of acts, so Penn State can get them on a technicality.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

columbia wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
Regardless of what he did or did not do, I was a little surprised that he would take donations from them while investigating Sandusky.
See? It worked! :roll:

Politicians that don't properly vet a passive donor are not complicit. Its also important to note that the donations came from second mile board members and their families & businesses, not the second mile specifically.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I mean listen, I understand the instinctive desire to see Penn State burn in hell for what happened, and the worst punishment of all to be administered. I'm just telling you it's highly unlikely.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Pitt87 wrote:
columbia wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
See? It worked! :roll:

Politicians that don't properly vet a passive donor are not complicit. Its also important to note that the donations came from second mile board members and their families & businesses, not the second mile specifically.
Passive? He allowed the chairman of Second Mile to hold a fundraiser for his campaign, while he was investigating Sandusky.
I'd rather see the DOJ look into it than take your word that everything was just a-ok.

And to return to Rendell, who was buddies with Paterno.
Why didn't he pick up the phone and tell Penn State to get Sandusky the **** off their campus?
(Or are we to believe that Corbett never bothered to tell his boss about this? :roll: )

The level of FAIL in this entire thing is amazing.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

He was a serial predator, so this isn't surprising....

Report: Three men claim they were abused by Sandusky in '70s, '80s
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/16/re ... n-70s-80s/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

columbia wrote:He was a serial predator, so this isn't surprising....

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/16/re ... n-70s-80s/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
not surprising at all. in fact i'd be shocked if more didn't start coming forward.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

columbia wrote:He was a serial predator, so this isn't surprising....

Yeah it's highly unlikely Sandusky woke up one day in the 90's and decided to be a pedophile. I would have been shocked if he didn't abuse kids before the 90's, especially with the unlimited access to vulnerable boys that the Second Mile charity provided him since 1977.