GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
mviz

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by mviz »

UVM2003 wrote:For many that missed a lot of Founders Backstage Series (Canadian Breakfast Stout, Blushing Monk, Better Half), Frangelic Mountain Brown is around PGH now. Since it's not a barrel aged stout like CBS or barrel aged old ale like Better Half it's cheaper and easier to find. I grabbed a few bottles today for 14.99. It's an American Brown Ale brewed with hazelnut coffee. I'll be cracking one in an hour or so and am pretty pumped for it.
Out of curiosity, where have you seen bottles of Frangelic Mountain Brown around Pittsburgh? I'm wondering if any are left...
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Tonight, I tried the Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project's Field Mouse's Farewell. I picked it up at Whole Foods, which carries a lot of niche beers, so it might be hard to find. I'm not a big fan of saisons, as I've stated before, but this was good.
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by UVM2003 »

shafnutz05 wrote:Tonight, I tried the Pretty Things Beer & Ale Project's Field Mouse's Farewell. I picked it up at Whole Foods, which carries a lot of niche beers, so it might be hard to find. I'm not a big fan of saisons, as I've stated before, but this was good.
Field Mouses Farewell is phenomenal - good pickup. Wish we had more pretty things around Pittsburgh.
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by legame »

Anyone ever have "Viking Blood" mead? 19% alcohol. Had it Thursday night and still sobering up.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Sam adams whitewater ipa tastes exactly how the pine tree scent thing in cars smells, wont be getting that again. Picked up a case of southern tier hop sun, been my goto summer beer this year.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

eddysnake wrote:Sam adams whitewater ipa tastes exactly how the pine tree scent thing in cars smells, wont be getting that again. Picked up a case of southern tier hop sun, been my goto summer beer this year.
Southern Tier is a great brewery
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Kona wailua (wheat ale with passion fruit) is ok, i like their koko brown and long board. Got a Sierra Nevada torpedo up next. Mix and match sunday is off and running

edit:the wailua got better, light and very refreshing, will get again
Last edited by eddysnake on Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

shafnutz05 wrote:
eddysnake wrote:Sam adams whitewater ipa tastes exactly how the pine tree scent thing in cars smells, wont be getting that again. Picked up a case of southern tier hop sun, been my goto summer beer this year.
Southern Tier is a great brewery
It is, ill have to have a lgp get together up at me river house and we can make a trip to the brewery which is 30 minutes away
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Had dinner at Fatheads in Cleveland this weekend. Had the:

Headhunter IPA: Won the west coast IPA competition, so you know it had to be good and it was.

Zeus Juice: Golden Belgian strong ale. Very good. Had the raisony, fruity taste you'd expect from a Belgain strong with a good alcohol taste to it.

Sunshine Daydream Session IPA: This was a great beer, especially for the summer time. I wish i could get this bottled and take it out on a hot day on the golf course. Very hoppy, but not the usual heaviness that comes with a regular IPA.

and for dessert, Bean Me Up Koffee Stout: It was a great way to end the evening. Most coffee stouts you don't taste a lot of coffee flavor, just stout beer. This was like drinking an iced coffee with alcohol in it. Was by far one of the best stouts I've ever drank.

After my meal, I went and talked to the bartender for a few about their recent bottling efforts. They bottle the headhunter IPA and distribute it (apparently locally in Ohio as well as Western PA). The bartender didn't know specific locations, but he did say that it was Cavalier Distributors that distribute it and that I should contact them. I sent them an e-mail yesterday asking for locations, and if they get back to me I'll be sure to let you guys know where to get that delicious brew.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Market District had Headhunter on draft last week.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Troy Loney wrote:Market District had Headhunter on draft last week.
Yeah, they started distributing Kegs of it a while back, but the bottling is a recent effort.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Checked out copper kettle on saturday (byob - Brew your own beer place). More expensive than the website made it out to be, it might be a cool experience thing to learn how to brew beer, but might not be cost effective. Essentially your paying $60-$70 for the beer which is 2 cases of 12 22oz bottles (Pretty sure they were 22oz), and there is an upfront cost of $20 for the bottles which can be reused.
UVM2003
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by UVM2003 »

mviz wrote:
UVM2003 wrote:For many that missed a lot of Founders Backstage Series (Canadian Breakfast Stout, Blushing Monk, Better Half), Frangelic Mountain Brown is around PGH now. Since it's not a barrel aged stout like CBS or barrel aged old ale like Better Half it's cheaper and easier to find. I grabbed a few bottles today for 14.99. It's an American Brown Ale brewed with hazelnut coffee. I'll be cracking one in an hour or so and am pretty pumped for it.
Out of curiosity, where have you seen bottles of Frangelic Mountain Brown around Pittsburgh? I'm wondering if any are left...
I got two at beer nutz in Ohara on Wednesday. I don't know for sure but I'd guess that house of 1000 beers still has a few bottles.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

shafnutz05 wrote:I'm not a huge fan of hefeweizens either.
DIE INFIDEL BLASPHEME… errr… I mean that’s too bad. Those are good.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

I've had a couple interesting brews over the past couple weeks...

1.) Great Divide's Belgian-style Yeti. This was a pretty good stout, but I could barely taste any of the Belgian yeast. Definitely a good beer, but I'm not sure the combo really brings much extra to the table.

2.) North Coast's La Merle Saison. This was really good (given my limited experience with saisons). I rate it about the same as Ommegang's Hennepin and ahead of Dupont's Saison. La Merle seemed to have more body and complexity than the latter.

3.) Ayinger Ur-Weisse. This used to be my favorite beer, but I hadn't had it in a couple years. In that intervening period, my level of beer snobbery has increased, so while I still enjoyed it, I no longer find it to be the best beer out there (or even the best dunkel Weiss).

4.) Widmer Brothers Dark Saison. I don't know why I keep getting stuff from them. They usually have interesting sounding brews, but then they inevitably turn out to be thoroughly mediocre. This one was no exception.

5.) Southern Tier Creme Brulee Stout. I had this at a dessert-only restaurant in Key West. They served it in a glass that was rimmed with white chocolate and brown sugar. It was awesome.

I picked up the Cigar City Cucumber Saison for this week. We'll see how that goes.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

Troy Loney wrote:Checked out copper kettle on saturday (byob - Brew your own beer place). More expensive than the website made it out to be, it might be a cool experience thing to learn how to brew beer, but might not be cost effective. Essentially your paying $60-$70 for the beer which is 2 cases of 12 22oz bottles (Pretty sure they were 22oz), and there is an upfront cost of $20 for the bottles which can be reused.
That's unfortunate. Although, I guess if you end up with 24 22 oz. bottles of really good beer, paying $80-90 (including the bottles) isn't that bad. If the beer ends up being mediocre, then that does kind of suck.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I'm having a Franziskaner to combat all of Weiss hate here.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1315/4920/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoying this tonight
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

columbia wrote:I'm having a Franziskaner to combat all of Weiss hate here.
:fist:
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

There's no reason to hate any type of beer. Just like and dislike different styles.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

count2infinity wrote:There's no reason to hate any type of beer. Just like and dislike different styles.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I actually had a Franziskaner this weekend, and enjoyed it. I dont mind wits, but I think the really fruityish hefes just disagree with my palate. (especially the smell). I don't really like the way a lot of pilsners smell either.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

You should try this:

definitely less sweet.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

mother of god... that is gorgeous.

Franziskaner is still the only one of the top 10 hefes on beeradvocate that i haven't tried. but no way is it better than weihenstephaner. i can't believe anything better exists
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

One of my brothers lived in Germany for 4 years and insists that you must have a lemon in your (Heffe)Weiss.

I always think of that being some cheap trick (not the band) to cover up a bad beer.....but it definitely enhances them.