Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Post by shafnutz05 »

Troy Loney wrote:

Really? I don't think anyone is deriving any pleasure from the misfortune of those abused children.
Come on, you know I wasn't talking about the misfortune of the children involved. Referring to all of the Penn Staters with the aforementioned moral bluster that have been forced to eat crow now.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

Shad, knock it off with the "oh these guys are just taking shots at penn state because they are haters stuff." very few, if any, posts in the thread made by non-penn state people have taken gratuitous shots at the lunatic fringe of the penn state fanbase (and we all know there are plenty of penn state hardliners on the radio and on the internet).

good luck trying to convince people to ignore the decades of hypocrisy coming out of university park, pennsylvania.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I've been one of the biggest critics of the university, and I've been a fan my whole life. I hardly think the criticism is only coming from "haters". And I know that lunatic fringe exists, I see it on my FB wall every day.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I haven't lived in PA for about 8 years and this whole thing has been a kick in the **** to my PA pride.
Others might not see it this way, but it stings for all of us to have such a black mark on the state....At least the way I see it.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by joopen »

Troy Loney wrote:

Really? I don't think anyone is deriving any pleasure from the misfortune of those abused children.
The PSUers aren't used to taking criticism so the need to qualify it as unjust is large. There is some piling on but really the institution deserves all the criticism it takes for this debacle. The major point which was just made above is to not lose focus on the main points here. How to help the victims an how to preven this from happening anywhere ever again.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

lol when did I ever say the criticism is unjust? It's extremely well-deserved. But if you don't think there is a sense of gratification out there from all the people that, to their credit, saw through the Paterno allure? Of course there is. Sadly, I didn't see through that image.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by joopen »

shafnutz05 wrote:lol when did I ever say the criticism is unjust? It's extremely well-deserved. But if you don't think there is a sense of gratification out there from all the people that, to their credit, saw through the Paterno allure? Of course there is. Sadly, I didn't see through that image.
Sure. People live to be smug and right. It's human nature. You're just going to have a hard time deflecting criticism as schadenfreude at this point in the game.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

No, there is no sense of gratifaction. more of a sense of a disgust that penn state had an organizational culture out there that empowers 4 or 5 people to put a football program's image ahead of the victims of child abuse.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

the statue thing... ? there are statues up for many mortal men, a few women, who failed in some aspect of their life. great things , but being human, are far from God-like.
Statue should stay as a reminder for the next time we want to think somebody is worthy .
Paterno; dig up his grave , burn his bones. He has already faced his God, nothing more can done against him. PSU can take monies away from his family for the victims.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Burn his bones?
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Dig up his grave? burn his bones?

I mean.. really? seriously?
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

People want his blood, right? Not me, but others.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

there is definitely a group of people who are getting personal joy out of what is happening to PSU. it's incredibly naive to think otherwise. these people are brain dead idiots, but they're out there. all over the place, really.

one more thing about the CNN story. i actually empathize a little with PSU people like c2i or shad here. a lot of people are going to read that article and say, "A HA! I KNEW IT!", when in reality, it's just describing a very typical scenario that happens all over the country. college athletes in these programs are held to different standards than regular students. if you want to change that, then you're talking about changing big college athletics at a fundamental level. that's not a bad idea, but the stuff that happened to that woman is not at all surprising, and it's most definitely not at all unique to PSU. i think she did a good job at tempering whoever wrote the article, as she seemed to downplay the connection between her situation and the uniqueness of the sandusky stuff.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

Paterno family to do independent investigation of Freeh Report.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

The Paterno family would be better served to lay low.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

ulf wrote:Paterno family to do independent investigation of Freeh Report.
ugh.....no no no no no no no
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

So much for going quietly into the night.

wtf?
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

Agreed, not doing anything to help it pass over.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

And what will they do if (when) the investigator comes back with the same results?
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

seems to me like the most destructive elements to paterno in that report were direct quotes with his name in them that they found in e-mail exchanges. you can't uncover anything that erases that kind of evidence.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

The family actions sure lends some creedence that Paterno was concerned at protecting his (and his football program's) reputation at all costs.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

It might be an issue of communication. It's very possible Paterno didn't tell the family about any of this and since he never said anything about it, they figure he didn't know anything about it (which is far from the truth). They probably think they're doing the right thing in trying to vindicate Joe.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

I urge everybody posting regularly in this thread to read Beer & Circus. A good read about the corruptive and absolute power college athletics has on higher education.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

DontToewsMeBro wrote:I urge everybody posting regularly in this thread to read Beer & Circus. A good read about the corruptive and absolute power college athletics has on higher education.
I wish I could dig it up, but there's a famous essay from the President of the University of Chicago, when they left the Big 10 in the 30s.
He railed against the inflated importance of college athletics.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

Then there's gonna be The Freeh report people doing an independent investigation of the Paterno independent investigation of the Freeh report