Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Post by MWB »

shafnutz05 wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:They also covered up Joe's halo on the mural downtown.

Uh sure.
Why was there a halo to begin with? Was it added after he passed or was it always there?
From what I understand, the halos are put on everyone in that mural.
I believe the artist said they're put on everyone after they die.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

Does PSU riot if / when they take out the statue?
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

IanMoran wrote:Does PSU riot if / when they take out the statue?
Given the info in the Fresh report...I doubt it.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

llipgh2 wrote:
Given the info in the Fresh report...I doubt it.
Would be my thoughts too, but I've seen a couple pro-JoePa statuses from current / recent PSU students recently believe it or not
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

I hate auto correct. Freeh.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

No, but if the NCAA invokes the death penalty I could see one happen unfortunately.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

i'm only on page 31 of freeh report; few people too much power. How could they not care about the victims?
Trustees should be gone, psu legal department, gone.
I don't want anymore of my tax money going there.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

From the brief bits I read, the BoT was in the dark due to Spanier. I'm still faulting them but not as much as the other "4"
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/15/us/tripon ... ?hpt=hp_c1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Really really good article on PSU's inner workings and how they ruined one woman's life.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

As far as the athletic dept dealing with that woman goes, I really doubt that PSU is any different than the typcial large school with a large athletic program.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

It's probably not, but it still doesn't make it right.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

shmenguin wrote:As far as the athletic dept dealing with that woman goes, I really doubt that PSU is any different than the typcial large school with a large athletic program.
wait, we have been hearing for 30 years how penn state football is morally better and ethically superior than everyone else. penn state isnt allowed to play the "happens everywhere card" after all of that chest thumping
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Especially since it was actually worse than any other place.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
shmenguin wrote:As far as the athletic dept dealing with that woman goes, I really doubt that PSU is any different than the typcial large school with a large athletic program.
wait, we have been hearing for 30 years how penn state football is morally better and ethically superior than everyone else. penn state isnt allowed to play the "happens everywhere card" after all of that chest thumping
This this this this x 1000
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
I think your PSU hate might having you missing the point. Not only about dealing with women, but the scandal as a whole. This could happen and likely does happen places around the country (the women thing to a broad extent, no pun intended. and the child molestation thing likely minimally). Better checks and balances should be instilled not only at PSU, but at most/all large universities around the nation. Without that, this type of situation could happen again. It has nothing to do with what school you're a fan of, I think we can all agree if steps can be taken to stop child molestation in the first place then they should be taken in the first place.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by joopen »

count2infinity wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
I think your PSU hate might having you missing the point. Not only about dealing with women, but the scandal as a whole. This could happen and likely does happen places around the country (the women thing to a broad extent, no pun intended. and the child molestation thing likely minimally). Better checks and balances should be instilled not only at PSU, but at most/all large universities around the nation. Without that, this type of situation could happen again. It has nothing to do with what school you're a fan of, I think we can all agree if steps can be taken to stop child molestation in the first place then they should be taken in the first place.
No he has a valid point. All you heard about Penn State for years was how they do it right and how morally superior to "other" big athletic programs they are. You can't take that road for years then when it suits you say "oh it happens anywhere".
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

joopen wrote: No he has a valid point. All you heard about Penn State for years was how they do it right and how morally superior to "other" big athletic programs they are. You can't take that road for years then when it suits you say "oh it happens anywhere".
I get that, and the PSU haters have all the cards right now to bash PSU, but I think you're getting away from what's really important in this matter.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

College sports by a large margin are completely devoid of ethics. Sure, theres a basketball coach here and a baseball coach there who are truly good honorable people, but think about this small list of scumbags in major coaching positions:
Nick Saban
Lane Kiffin
Jim Tressel
Bobby Petrino
Rich Rod
High Octane Whathisface
Pete Carroll
Rick Pitino

All these guys sit down with all the high school seniors parent's and talk about ethics, values, and commitment to things greater than one's self, but when it comes down to it they are all worried about only themselves.

And the better question is, why is it that many of the best coaches are like this? How can a university give an introductory press conference welcoming a new coach with commitment to ideals who has spent months lying to the players and fans of his previous team?
Last edited by pittsoccer33 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

So the PSU alumni - like The Snaphot in this thread - have rendered heavy criticism because they hate the institution?
Ok.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Of course not. But it is certainly true that people from outside Happy Valley have despised PSU the institution for the issues above. C2I's point was that what happened with this woman could happen ANYWHERE. You don't think that culture of misogyny exists at every other college campus with a major football program? That's all he was trying to say.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by joopen »

count2infinity wrote:
joopen wrote: No he has a valid point. All you heard about Penn State for years was how they do it right and how morally superior to "other" big athletic programs they are. You can't take that road for years then when it suits you say "oh it happens anywhere".
I get that, and the PSU haters have all the cards right now to bash PSU, but I think you're getting away from what's really important in this matter.
I will agree wholeheartedly with that last statement
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Really? I don't think anyone is deriving any pleasure from the misfortune of those abused children.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

Troy Loney wrote:

Really? I don't think anyone is deriving any pleasure from the misfortune of those abused children.
There certainly are people who are happily watching PSU take a black eye for a number of reasons.