Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

The trials of Curley and Schultz will bring it right back up although I have a feeling they'll plea bargain and there will be no trial. Same thing with the civil suits. Penn St is going to attempt to stay out of court as much as possible.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:The trials of Curley and Schultz will bring it right back up although I have a feeling they'll plea bargain and there will be no trial. Same thing with the civil suits. Penn St is going to attempt to stay out of court as much as possible.
unless paterno's name is prominently involved, i don't think people will care about the any of that.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

what defense does PSU have in the civil suits? is there any reason that they would want to go to court? i honestly don't know and am curious.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Rocco »

shmenguin wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:The trials of Curley and Schultz will bring it right back up although I have a feeling they'll plea bargain and there will be no trial. Same thing with the civil suits. Penn St is going to attempt to stay out of court as much as possible.
unless paterno's name is prominently involved, i don't think people will care about the any of that.
When Curley and Schultz throw everything on Paterno in their trials, his name will come up. It will also come up when PSU responds to the NCAA's letter by saying that Paterno was the mastermind and since he's no longer the coach the problem is rectified.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

Paterno Won Sweeter Deal Even as Scandal Played Out
In the end, the board of trustees — bombarded with hate mail and threatened with a defamation lawsuit by Mr. Paterno’s family — gave the family virtually everything it wanted, with a package worth roughly $5.5 million. Documents show that the board even tossed in some extras that the family demanded, like the use of specialized hydrotherapy massage equipment for Mr. Paterno’s wife at the university’s Lasch Building, where Mr. Sandusky had molested a number of his victims.

The details of Mr. Paterno and his family’s fight for money seem to deepen one of the lasting truths of the Sandusky scandal: the significant power that Mr. Paterno exerted on the state institution, its officials, its alumni and its purse strings.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/14/sport ... ml?_r=1&hp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Factorial wrote:
In the end, the board of trustees — bombarded with hate mail and threatened with a defamation lawsuit by Mr. Paterno’s family — gave the family virtually everything it wanted, with a package worth roughly $5.5 million. Documents show that the board even tossed in some extras that the family demanded, like the use of specialized hydrotherapy massage equipment for Mr. Paterno’s wife at the university’s Lasch Building, where Mr. Sandusky had molested a number of his victims.

The details of Mr. Paterno and his family’s fight for money seem to deepen one of the lasting truths of the Sandusky scandal: the significant power that Mr. Paterno exerted on the state institution, its officials, its alumni and its purse strings.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/14/sport ... ml?_r=1&hp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This whole Paterno family comes off as a bunch of heartless, money grubbing d-bags. PSU alumni and students should file a class action suit to recover this money given the findings of the Freeh report.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

bhaw wrote:
Factorial wrote:

This whole Paterno family comes off as a bunch of heartless, money grubbing d-bags. PSU alumni and students should file a class action suit to recover this money given the findings of the Freeh report.
So wait, they extorted the BOT after Joe was fired because of defamation and threats from students??
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

count2infinity wrote:what defense does PSU have in the civil suits? is there any reason that they would want to go to court? i honestly don't know and am curious.
Id guess not much at all, they'll try to avoid it definitely but I guess there is the SLIGHT chance they go if someone demands something ridiculous
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by King Sid the Great 87 »

count2infinity wrote:what defense does PSU have in the civil suits? is there any reason that they would want to go to court? i honestly don't know and am curious.
Ought to try the same defense that is trumpeted for the football program not being punished. Just say the entire university can't be punished for the acts of a few people no longer affiliated with the school.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Factorial wrote:

I guess that's what they call a blue and white golden parachute.
His son needs to shut up and stay away from the cameras.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

I'm wondering why they are remodeling the parts where the crimes took place. What happened happened, how is remodeling gonna help or change anything?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Just read that they are re-doing the showers, which makes sense. It's a minor thing, but it helps subside the "heeby-jeebies" for anyone using them now that everyone has heard what happened in there.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

I think redoing the showers is kind of... I dunno... weird. They have way bigger problems then that.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

They also covered up Joe's halo on the mural downtown.

Uh sure.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

skullman80 wrote:I think redoing the showers is kind of... I dunno... weird. They have way bigger problems then that.
Of course there are, but it's something they can fix ASAP. They can't make the legal stuff go any faster but they can destroy the showers where it happened in a couple days.

Would you want to shower in those showers now and possibly be standing where Sandusky was just "horsing around" with a kid?

It's a minor detail. Doesn't fix anything, doesn't help. It just eliminates some of the memories. Guaranteed it would have been something people demanded to be done if they waited anyways.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

mac5155 wrote:They also covered up Joe's halo on the mural downtown.

Uh sure.
Is the statue coming down next?

On a side note, I don't understand why there are statues for anyone living, including Mario.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by The Snapshot »

First post in months on these boards.

As a PSU Alum to the BOG - PLEASE shut down the Program voluntarily now, and save any modicum of respect I have for my alma mater. I know there are 90 scholarship athletes that will be inconvenienced, but they cannot be any of the focus at this point after this report.

The program, while technically faceless and also technically without the prime offenders under their employ today, is in my mind resonsible as much as Joe himself. To supporters claiming that to shut it down punishes the innocent, or hurts the economy - I say so what. There can be no comparison of these events to any that have occured at other Football programs in history. A Miami player being given a car or other schools showing continued disregard for recruiting and booster violations pales in comparison. SMU received the death penalty and did not cover up serial child rape.

If the school plays football in 2012, or if NCAA shuts it down, I will never give another penny to my alma mater - because the 32K+ students and hundreds of thousands of alumni who believe in the school's commitment to Education, and supposed committment to Integrity - they need to be the first concern and not 90 athletes. The school needs to shut this down and petition the NCAA to allow immediate transfers for the athletes impacted.

Only then do I see a school that is willing to now stand behind the basic tenets of a place of learning and growth with integrity. Anything less is just weak, and self-serving for the almighty dollar.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Factorial wrote:

Well, I guess that makes it more clear why Paterno said he would resign at the end of the season when things started to fall apart. They had agreed in January 2011 to pay him $3M if he were to resign at the end of the 2011 season. Moot point, as they agreed to pay it regardless.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Man....I admit, I was a full blown Paterno admirer. This is awful.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

The article makes it seem like he knew things were going to come to a head and that 2011 was going to be his last season. Seems like he was hoping things would hold off and he could get that last payment, presumably for his family, as he probably knew he didn't have a lot of time left in his life.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

I cant blame Joe from wanting to cash in and set his family up for life. You'd think the family would have laid low through all this.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

Uh sure.
Why was there a halo to begin with? Was it added after he passed or was it always there?
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by BurghersAndDogsSports »

columbia wrote:It will be interesting to see if the DOJ digs into Corbett's ties to Second Mile (campaign donations) re: the speed of the investigation. Considering that every worst case scenario in this situation - despite what the kool-aid drinkers have insisted - has come true, you do have to wonder.
Well, for one not everyone agrees that he did anything wrong, there are no facts at all, just some people reaching for why it took so long, connecting dots that arent connected and swimming like sharks at a political gain.

From my standpoint, a campaign donation from the Second Mile board member is not all that curious, I mean if it was a problem why are people not clamoring for THIS GUYS head as part of a cover up for child sex abuse. I mean a board member and someone who donates money to the second mile tells the AG and they agree to delay and let children get abused for another year or two. I personally think it would be the exact opposite. A normal person involved like this guy probably was would have been all for fixing it. I mean his millions are going to support a sicko's crimes.

Just saying - every time I read that I wonder why people just mention to bash him while not going bat **** crazy, that is no different than JoePa or any of the other heads if they are part of the cover up/

Second: Here is an article from the psychologist who worked with the children:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/opi ... nt-644519/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Most people don't understand how cases such as this operate. It's easy to sit behind a computer and critique all aspects of a case when you do not understand the inner workings of the justice system and its oftentimes harsh realities for victims.
I do. I'm a sexual abuse survivor.
I have devoted much of my life advocating for victims of rape and abuse. I also worked with some of Jerry Sandusky's victims.
The man who literally wrote the book on investigating child predators is a retired FBI agent named Kenneth Lanning. Now a consultant, he was among the first to point out the soundness of Mr. Corbett's strategy. Mr. Lanning explained how cases such as Mr. Sandusky's are complex, time consuming and almost never come with an option to try again.
"The more prestigious the guy is, the more respected the guy is, the more complex the case is going to be," he explained. "What made it a successful prosecution is that they didn't rely on one victim. They found eight."
Because Mr. Corbett did his job right, eight victims eventually came forward and bravely stood up against Mr. Sandusky to end his predatory behavior -- and to find justice.
It's dangerous to move forward too aggressively in child sex assault cases because it encourages defense lawyers to go after the prosecutor's motives in the most outlandish ways. It's dangerous for children if timid prosecutors, fearing accusations of "foot-dragging," are pushed into bringing one-victim cases when they need to assemble a body of evidence.
I dont like Corbett that much. But I more inclined to listen to a psychologist who worked with the children and has a past like theirs, as well as the guy who wrote the book on identifying this sicco's over some idiot reporters who are using this medium to attack a governor who doesnt align with their political beliefs.

In cases like this things can change quickly so if something else comes out then I will read that and make an opinion and even change my opinion. But for now with the information I have this is non issue for me.
Last edited by BurghersAndDogsSports on Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

llipgh2 wrote:

Uh sure.
Why was there a halo to begin with? Was it added after he passed or was it always there?
From what I understand, the halos are put on everyone in that mural.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

shafnutz05 wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:

Uh sure.
From what I understand, the halos are put on everyone in that mural.
Why? Seems kind of odd.