Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Post by steve784 »

The always classy Mark Madden people, with his expert opinion.
Mark Madden ‏@MarkMaddenX

If PSt is institution it sez it is, it will shut down football 4a year voluntarily. Won't wait4 NCAA. But of course, it won't, cos it's not.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

What do you think about the NCAA vacating all of Paterno's victories from the time that he became head coach until this past year, including national championships?
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

The problem with the NCAA involvement issue is that I don't know that there's ever been a situation like this. Has there been a case of a school's administration covering up a grievous matter that was not tied to athletes, but did involve coaches? There may not be a precedent for a situation like this to tell us one way or another how the NCAA would act.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Question to PSU'ers.

Are you guys still going to wake up saturday mornings this fall, start blasting the PSU Fight song and get waisted watching college football all day?
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by King Sid the Great 87 »

shafnutz05 wrote:People are having a hard time grasping that this is a criminal case. The NCAA has zero precedent for stepping into this territory, as their jurisdiction has mostly been related to cheating the system itself. As much as people would love to see the football program go down in flames forever, sorry, it's just not going to happen. The loss of scholarships/bowl games/TV coverage will set the program back some years (which is perfectly fine), but the death penalty dreamers are going to be sorely disappointed.
So they have 0 precedent for stepping in to this territory, so they won't step in and shut the program down, but they will step in and issue other punishment? Punishment that you find acceptable because that is what they have used before?

Precedent gets set somewhere. Otherwise if this were to happen again at another school, would you buy their argument that they can't get the death penalty because PSU didn't?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

jimjom wrote:What do you think about the NCAA vacating all of Paterno's victories from the time that he became head coach until this past year, including national championships?
:lolwutpear:
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

Troy Loney wrote:Question to PSU'ers.

Are you guys still going to wake up saturday mornings this fall, start blasting the PSU Fight song and get waisted watching college football all day?
No. I'm going to sit solemnly on my couch and stare at the wall for 4 hours and reflect on how ashamed of myself I should be.

Am I going to get 'waisted' and act a fool? No. Will I still watch the games if they have them? Sure.

I'm sure I'll get blasted for that now, even though all anyone in here wants to discuss is football.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Is this a pointed question?
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

There is the aspect of institutional control, but the NCAA has never issued major sanctions to a school for violating only that wide-ranging rule.

That doesn't mean, however, that the NCAA cannot set a precedent in this case and make an example of Penn State with a harsh punishment.
http://www.sungazette.com/page/content. ... l?nav=5017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Partial answer to my question.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

columbia wrote:
jimjom wrote:What do you think about the NCAA vacating all of Paterno's victories from the time that he became head coach until this past year, including national championships?
:lolwutpear:
Just throwing it out there as a hypothetical scenario due to the findings in the report. Okay, if not all victories, what about frmo 1998-2011?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Does the level of moral failure require the university do something beyond firing those involved? If so, what should that be?
(Getting sued doesn't really rate as an act of contrition, IMO.)
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by CERV96 »

Not saying I stand on this one way or another but myself personally would have a hard time watching the Pens ever again if this happened to them.

Call me whatever you want thats just my opinion.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

If football continues, yes I'll still watch. Yes, I'll still attend tailgates. Yes, I'll still have the occasional drink while doing so. What does that have to do with anything? Those that were at fault are gone and the tragedies that occurred here were by no means the fault of those that I will be supporting while doing so.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

shafnutz05 wrote:

Are you going to be as passionate about college football anymore?
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Troy Loney wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:

wtf does this even mean?
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

count2infinity wrote:

If football continues, yes I'll still watch. Yes, I'll still attend tailgates. Yes, I'll still have the occasional drink while doing so. What does that have to do with anything? Those that were at fault are gone and the tragedies that occurred here were by no means the fault of those that I will be supporting while doing so.
As Penn State fans, we have all played a role in allowing these atrocities to take place. During Penn State games, I urge alumni and fans to walk down College Avenue, flagellating themselves to show how sorry they are. Maybe after 11 weeks of this, there can be closure for the victims.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

count2infinity wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:

wtf does this even mean?
I think it's a reasonable question. I watch maybe portions of 2 CFB every week (on average); this has certainly made me question whether there should be such a huge emphasis placed on college athletics.
(Obviously I'm coming from the extremely casual fan corner of the world.)
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Troy Loney wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:

that's a better question without the snark. your original post veers a little off point.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

How is it that people can't comprehend the limited number of people that are guilty in this case from those that had no role in it? It just blows my mind.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

Troy Loney wrote:Are you going to be as passionate about college football anymore?
Now see this is actually an interesting question. Personally, I think there will be a guarded part of me, if you want to call it that, that won't allow me be as passionate as I once was. I think for sure there is a stain there that will always be associated with the program that should never be forgotten.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

columbia wrote:I think it's a reasonable question. I watch maybe portions of 2 CFB every week (on average); this has certainly made me question whether there should be such a huge emphasis placed on college athletics.
(Obviously I'm coming from the extremely casual fan corner of the world.)
it's definitely a reasonable question. while i don't expect current students to change their attitudes (since most college kids are basically simpletons who just go where the party is), i expect some alumni to lose their PSU mojo. i would if this happened to my school. actually, my overall pride in my school would take a hit - not just in the athletic program.

but luckily i have almost no college pride as it is since i knew long ago that they're just big businesses who don't really give a crap about their customers to begin with.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

shmenguin wrote:(since most college kids are basically simpletons who just go where the party is)
lol.... right.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by DontToewsMeBro »

Yes. Then Sunday morning I'll wake up and help raise money for THON, the largest student run philanthropy in the world. Then Monday morning I'll wake up and go to the lab and help our country's DoD. Why would this change how I live my life? Everybody involved in this scandal is either gone, in jail, or dead. I'm going to support the players and the new coach. I would say I'm sorry if that bothers you, but I'm not, so I won't.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

count2infinity wrote:How is it that people can't comprehend the limited number of people that are guilty in this case from those that had no role in it? It just blows my mind.
if the guys at the top of the house are capable of all this, there are implications about their day-to-day decision making that transcend athletics or the limited number of offenders.

not that i think this sort of attitude is limited to PSU. people that run big businesses are generally pretty evil bastards.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

shmenguin wrote:
count2infinity wrote:How is it that people can't comprehend the limited number of people that are guilty in this case from those that had no role in it? It just blows my mind.
if the guys at the top of the house are capable of all this, there are implications about their day-to-day decision making that transcend athletics or the limited number of offenders.

not that i think this sort of attitude is limited to PSU. people that run big businesses are generally pretty evil bastards.
some are guilty, therefor all are guilty. gotcha.