Jerry Sandusky and Related Trials

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:That culture exists in many places other than State College. When Roethlisberger was accused of sexual assault, many people unequivocally stood behind him without knowing of the full facts of the case. It might not have been to the level that people stood behind Paterno, but Paterno had done more for State College and PSU than Ben had done for Pittsburgh.
Penn state, its fans, its administration, its alumni, its football coach, have all went out their collective way to point out that they weren't just a football factory. We all know penn state prided itself in the success with honor stuff, the solidarity of its fanbase (i.e. We are, white outs, zombie nation, st joe, 110k fans) and so forth. penn state has bragged about how it is a different (and better) culture than tOSU, alabama, etc because penn state does things differently. you cant have it both ways.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Factorial wrote:People calling for all PSU games since '98 to be now marked as a forfeit.
Yeah the media is in a feeding frenzy for ratings.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

tifosi77 wrote:The sense of disappointment I am feeling today is overwhelming.

It's one thing to look at a fact pattern and understand there's a high likelihood that someone was involved in something they shouldn't have been. It's something else to see it documented in black and white.

Growing up in the area and ultimately going to school at Penn State, it was impossible to not have anything by the highest regard for Paterno. And as I've said in the past, nearly every PSU alum I know has a "Joe" story. Now....... it's clear that given the totality of information we were wrong to have once thought so highly of Paterno. Despite all his philanthropy, despite all his decades of toil for the University, despite everything good he ever did, when the curtain was pulled back it turned out he was just as self-interested as anyone.

This report sort of creates a whole new spate of quasi-victims in this case. Again, as I said in my previous death penalty comments, I'm in no way attempting to draw any sort of equivalency to the actual victims who suffered real physical and emotional pain because of the actions and inaction of some incredibly weasily little men. But there can be no denying that the tens of millions of Penn State alumni and millions upon millions of non-alumni fans of the school and Paterno in particular have been pretty deeply stung by this report.

So saddened by this news, I can't even begin to explain it.
"The better you know someone, the more good you see in them. The more good you see in them, the more bad you are willing to not see. This is literally the only explanation I can conclude, based on this report. May God have mercy on their souls." Taken from a friend's facebook status.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

AlexPKeaton wrote:
Factorial wrote:People calling for all PSU games since '98 to be now marked as a forfeit.
Yeah the media is in a feeding frenzy for ratings.
Not the media, a caller.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by joopen »

While the death penalty is out of line in my opinion, I do believe that the football program should lose many scholarships for many years. The institution that is Penn State benefited greatly from this cover-up for many years. The success of their football program has been huge in their status as a major institution and one that would attract investors. The entire school fed off of the plate of the football program. The institution deserves the sanctions to be levied to the program that created this mess. While it did not create a direct competitive advantage in the sense of money to players, it did create it in terms of top of the line facilities and recognition and things of that nature. The institution should be held responsible for the people it chooses to have represent them. These are the people you chose. Their deceit led to years of feasting and now their actions should be held to you. Let the program survive. Take action to let the institution know its mistake and feel it where it hurts.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

again, if i am mike mcquarry and I see what he saw, I would phone the police... not the PSU police.
again, mcquarry should have gotten the child/ teenage away 1st. One person not doing right at the crucial point, led to a cover up.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

penny lane wrote:again, if i am mike mcquarry and I see what he saw, I would phone the police... not the PSU police.
again, mcquarry should have gotten the child/ teenage away 1st. One person not doing right at the crucial point, led to a cover up.
That really still chaps me when I think about it. How could you physically see that, and respond the way he did.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

penny lane wrote:again, if i am mike mcquarry and I see what he saw, I would phone the police... not the PSU police.
he certainly has some blame for not doing something to stop it, but you cannot point the finger at him and say he was the one that covered this up.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

Interesting article:

http://deadspin.com/5925143" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

count2infinity wrote:
he certainly has some blame for not doing something to stop it, but you cannot point the finger at him and say he was the one that covered this up.
No... but if he goes to the police a cover up doesn't have time to occur.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

penny lane wrote:
count2infinity wrote:
if he goes to the police, if paterno goes to the police, if spanier goes to the police, if anyone goes to the police. laying the blame on one person is idiotic and if you want to lay the blame on one person, do it on the correct person.... sandusky.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

penny lane wrote:
count2infinity wrote:
The McQueary viewed incident occurred after the initial case so the coverup had already begun, no?
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

Factorial wrote:The McQueary viewed incident occurred after the initial case so the coverup had already begun, no?
Believe so, yes. I think the biggest thing about the McQueary incident was that was the first one that really had any concrete evidence of what was going on.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Not sure if anyone has really brought this up concerning Ray Gricar's disappearance in 2005, but Gricar had been involved in a huge herion drug ring bust shortly before his disappearance. I feel his involvement in that case could have been a more likely reason for his disappearance than his involvement with Sandusky in 1998.

http://www.yardbird.com/midnight_ride_a ... utor_1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
66 Fighters of Foo
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by 66 Fighters of Foo »

People are irrational.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

Jay Paterno getting grilled on SportsCenter........the whole thing is just coming off as awkward and uncomfortable for everyone involved.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

steve784 wrote:Jay Paterno getting grilled on SportsCenter........the whole thing is just coming off as awkward and uncomfortable for everyone involved.
Why is he even on there?
That's just dumb and asking for unnecessary drama.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

columbia wrote:
steve784 wrote:Jay Paterno getting grilled on SportsCenter........the whole thing is just coming off as awkward and uncomfortable for everyone involved.
Why is he even on there?
That's just dumb and asking for unnecessary drama.
Agreed. No idea why he would agree to be on......nothing he can say is going to be construed as good.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

No way Jay Paterno can possible believe a single word that came out of his mouth on ESPN.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

DudeMan2766 wrote:No way Jay Paterno can possible believe a single word that came out of his mouth on ESPN.
Idk has to be a pretty rough time for all of them. Going from being the golden family / so respected and privileged just because of that name to now the exact opposite, associated with this just because of their name
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Did he just say those were opinions and not proven facts?

:face:

[youtube][/youtube]
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

IanMoran wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:No way Jay Paterno can possible believe a single word that came out of his mouth on ESPN.
Idk has to be a pretty rough time for all of them. Going from being the golden family / so respected and privileged just because of that name to now the exact opposite, associated with this just because of their name
Great time to put yourself on tv, when you aren't thinking straight...
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Pitt87 wrote:
IanMoran wrote:
Great time to put yourself on tv, when you aren't thinking straight...
Hmm...I suspect that he said exactly what he thinks/feels.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I can't really hold anything against Jay for what he has been saying...can't imagine the raw emotion I'd be feeling right now.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

That's your father. Of course you're going to defend him. I'm surprised he jumper right on the air today though.